PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to Guam...Any advice?

Flatliner
10-10-2007, 10:16
***First Report and Pics at end***

I just got the opportunity to go to Guam the first week in November for work. I will be able to get there to dive on the weekend and after 3pm each day during the week. Anybody have any advice for dive ops, locations, etc. I am a fairly inexperienced ocean diver so I should avoid anything very challenging.

Flatliner
10-18-2007, 16:37
Nobody's ever been to or been stationed in Guam?

DevilDiver
10-18-2007, 17:39
Get your shots. Check the US travel warnings and register with the embassy. Have fun.........................

http://www.travel.state.gov/

fire diver
10-18-2007, 19:16
Guam is a us controlled island. I wouldn't worry about the travel warning.

Just one question...

Will you take me with you? You can claim me as a "travel assistant" on the business travel. :)

FD

deepdiver47
10-18-2007, 20:10
I often travel thru Guam on my way home from my biz trips. I was last there in May and July of this year. I went diving there a couple of years ago (I went on to Yap and Bali diving this year) and went diving with www.mdaguam.com (http://www.mdaguam.com). Good people. Email them and tell them what you want to do.

Guam is a U.S territory and the people are very nice people! Either you are military (Navy or Air Force), a local or a Japanese tourist. It is a very safe place, no worries here at all.

I take it you are flying from Houston with CO thru Honolulu to Guam? PM me if you have any more questions.

You can PM me

BSea
10-18-2007, 20:33
My dad was stationed there when I was a kid (67-69). I would love to go back, but I doubt I'd recognize anything. Unfortunately I only got to snorkle over there, but it was like swimming in an aquarium.

Tom A
10-18-2007, 22:20
alaska air guard needed help so i left sunny kansas to go to guam for 30 days in jan dove 2 times a day most days theres a lot to see most of our dives were beach dives down by the navy base. you can go to http://www.gtds.com/ for more info enjoy the diving im trying to find a guard unit that need assits again this year

redneckdiver52
10-19-2007, 07:25
I have just been to Guam several times this past summer and I can definitely say you can't go wrong diving there.

There are loads of dive stores on Guam but GTDS (Guam Tropical Dive Station) and MDA are the big two. GTDS is a great operation all the people are nice and friendly and the dives are great; they are worth looking up when you get there. I wasn't very impressed with MDA they were a little rude to me and I thought they were a tad bit expensive.

There are loads of great dives in Guam from wrecks to the Blue hole, and nice coral. The coral had it rough a few years back but it is coming back real good. If you can get on the big Navy base try Gab-Gab beach for a great dive on some nice coral and from there you can do a surface swim out to Gab-Gab II which is another nice reef. Fish eye park is another good dive site, heck you can even survey the dive site without getting wet. Fish eye park is a tourist attraction in which you can enter a stairwell that goes beneath the waves to check out all the fish. Fish eye is a nice shore dive.

Hey, it looks like I am starting to write an essay on Guam so I will cut this short. If anyone wants more information on Guam or any other dive site I have been to don't be afraid to private message me.

Later, Redneckdiver

tone
10-21-2007, 01:32
blue hole, the japanese and german ship wrecks next to each other...

Flatliner
10-25-2007, 20:04
Thanks all, I am crazy busy and haven't posted much lately. I promise a report when I get back.

pnevai
10-25-2007, 23:36
^&$$#^%$#* !!!! I HATE YOU! Been trying to get to Okinawa and Guam for our projects there all year! So wher do I get to go? Yongsan Garrison in Korea during December and January!!! Well at least I won't be going back to Afghanistan in the winter. Gets Damn cold in So. Korea in the winter, OH JOY, Juicy Girls here I come. Sheeesh. Damn you PMDCATS

Flatliner
10-29-2007, 16:35
LOL,

I volunteered for Bagram last PMD go-around...PM me with your contact info. I don't do the southern zone often but you never know...

pnevai
10-29-2007, 17:27
I hate my life, All of a sudden they are talking about Kabul and Kandhar for December and January again. Korea sucks in the winter, but Afghanistan is worse. Interested in some IT baby sitting in Afghanistan?

Flatliner
11-06-2007, 05:16
Let me think...

NO!

PsychDiver
11-06-2007, 08:58
I was stationed in Guam and that is where I got my first certification. Unfortunately, Sadam invaded Kuwait I was sent to Saudi Arabia for seven months for the first Gulf War. In Guam there are two wrecks: one from WWI and from WWII that sit on the bottom end to end. You can dive on two wrecks from two wars on one dive.

Flatliner
11-10-2007, 12:11
Well all, I have done my first day of Diving in Guam. I went for a two tank morning boat dive. The vis was absolutely AMAZING. Easily 100' on our first dive. I had a little trouble with the first dive but it was an increadible experience. When I got in I was under-weighted and had to return to the boat for more weight. The dive went fine but I ended up REALLY:smiley11: sea-sick when I got back on the boat before the 2nd dive. I have never been sea sick before. Man was that miserable. I even considered selling my dive gear and giving up SCUBA. I ended up cancelling the afternoon boat dive.

I am planning on going shore diving this AM and then on a wreck dive later in the afternoon.

The new DC600 was great. However, I was pretty disapointed that you can't switch from still photos to video during a dive. Kinda makes the video feature useless. :smiley21:Here are a couple of pics. I will post more when I get back later.

bobunderway
11-10-2007, 13:10
Listen to the redneck diver, he knows of what he speaks.
The Tokai Maru, Is the only wreck in the world you can dive and touch a WWI wreck and WWII wreck at the same time.

The SeaBee Graveyard is rumored to be cool, though i have not been.
If you do get on base to see the places mentioned before, check out Japanese sea plane, as well, near the Japanese oil piers. Easy Dive 100'+.
Ask at MDA.

Don't forget to pack a t-shirt as it's all you'll ever need to dive in the Beautiful, WARM, waters of Guam. Enjoy.

Scubakraut
11-14-2007, 12:08
Nice. Enjoy! Since you're that close, you can hit Palau.

Flatliner
11-15-2007, 07:06
The Tokai Maru, Is the only wreck in the world you can dive and touch a WWI wreck and WWII wreck at the same time.

I DID IT!!! I dove the Tokai/Cormoran last Sunday. My buddys and I were the first ones to the location of the two ships closest points. I put a hand on each one. IT WAS TOTALLY COOL. Beyond any shadow of a doubt the most amazing dive of my life.

Here is a pic my buddy took. (Unfortunately no strobe and he was a little too close but you get the point.)

Travelnsj
11-15-2007, 10:21

I DID IT!!! I dove the Tokai/Cormoran last Sunday. My buddys and I were the first ones to the location of the two ships closest points. I put a hand on each one. IT WAS TOTALLY COOL. Beyond any shadow of a doubt the most amazing dive of my life.

Here is a pic my buddy took. (Unfortunately no strobe and he was a little too close but you get the point.)

Just a suggestion.....If you are blown away with Guam diving....catch a plane go about 2 hours south of Guam to a group of rock little islands called Palau.....problem is you will be spoiled forever.

gbrdiver
11-15-2007, 22:07
I was on the Cormoran/Tokai a couple of days (Wed) after you Flatliner...I enjoyed the 2 dives I did as well. Easy penetrations on 2 ships that were a good deal larger than I was expecting. It is always great to dive on a site historically significant as this and Randy from GTDS is a great guide. After 3 trips to Truk, I could never say this was the best wreck dive I have done, but I sure am glad I did it.

I did 3 days diving with GTDS. Found all the staff to be really friendly and laid back, moreover I was happy they could put together a package that suited my needs and interests (wrecks!). I visited the MDA store a couple of years back and found the staff there extremely rude, so I was not surprised when they didn't answer my emails.

Flatliner
11-26-2007, 20:42
I did 3 days diving with GTDS. Found all the staff to be really friendly and laid back, moreover I was happy they could put together a package that suited my needs and interests (wrecks!). I visited the MDA store a couple of years back and found the staff there extremely rude, so I was not surprised when they didn't answer my emails.

I am sorry about your experience with MDA, I actually found them to be top notch.

I would have loved to go to Palau but I was limited on time as this was a work trip and I couldn't get off work the week before to go early. (My wife also turned 3 shades of red before I even got the suggestion of staying over Thanksgiving out of my mouth.)

Part of the reason this dive impacted me so much is that it was the first day of diving I ever did were everything just went right. The day before I got sea sick and every other dive I have ever done (prior to this) had some negative thing happen, usually no big deal, but something to offset the positives. The day before this dive I actually considered selling my gear and finding a new hobby (only for a second or two but I REALLY considered it.)

If my work life ever gets caught up, I will write up a whole trip report in another thread.

Thanks all