PDA

View Full Version : your favorite camera

Scubakraut
10-10-2007, 12:57
I've had a Canon G2, S70, S80, 30D DSLR with 28-200 lens now SD900.
I love the DSLR picture quality but the size and weight of my previous 30D made me sell it again after just one trip to Guatemala hiking. Plus lots of fogging problems and dust issues of the sensor made me so frustrated with my DSLR that I sold it and bought a SD900 compact again.
The cost of housings for DSLR are way more then the camera itself and will limit your lens size too.
What's your all time fav. camera?

subsur
10-10-2007, 13:10
gotta go with Nikons here thanks to the superb lenses.
in the film era it was Nikon FM2 which i still use quite often. I never liked point-and-shoot cameras due to their limited or non-existing controls. i like Nikon D80 but with digital technology you can't get attached too much to a camera, the "divorce" rate is 100% so maybe it'll be Nikon d300 soon.

Scubakraut
10-10-2007, 13:13
what lens do you use for underwater housings then? Aren't you limited to a 18-55 lens? Plus the fogging problem seems to be a much larger issue with DSLR's how to cope with it?

BobArnold8265
10-10-2007, 14:01
Favorite cameras would be:

1. Leica M series rangefinder
2. Canon A-1 (with nice zoom and motor drive)
3. Nikon F

But these just show my age !!!!

sudnit5
10-10-2007, 15:33
I really like Nikon. I have had a D70 for about three years now and it works great.

somewhereinla
10-10-2007, 15:46
Same here, I think the D70 is one of the best camera for the money. It's impossible to take a bad picture with it. As far the fogging it is easilly remedy by doing 2 things:

Put Silica bags in your housing and place your housing in the camera water tank if you are on a boat. Basicaly what causes the fog is the condensation created by the differnce of temperature between the water and ambient temp. The Silica will absorb moisture in the housing.

Aussie
10-10-2007, 16:38
what lens do you use for underwater housings then? Aren't you limited to a 18-55 lens? Plus the fogging problem seems to be a much larger issue with DSLR's how to cope with it?

Basically you have the housing that fits your dSLR camera and then you have the ports that fit your lens of choice.

This is the port listing from ikelite for Nikon Lenses:

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2port_nikon.html

So you can see that there is a huge range of lenses to choose from. I never had a problem with fogging with larger housings, only really got fogging in small p & s cameras. But as someone else said silica bags are good to adsorb condensation. I then microwave the silica bag to remove the condensation.

Aussie

Aussie
10-10-2007, 16:50
gotta go with Nikons here thanks to the superb lenses.
in the film era it was Nikon FM2 which i still use quite often. I never liked point-and-shoot cameras due to their limited or non-existing controls. i like Nikon D80 but with digital technology you can't get attached too much to a camera, the "divorce" rate is 100% so maybe it'll be Nikon d300 soon.

I have to agree with you on the attachment to Digital technology. I think the "divorce" happens about ever 3 years when something new and sexy comes along. I will stick with my D80 until something comes along worth updating too.

Aussie

BobArnold8265
10-11-2007, 09:13
That's the only problem with digital gear. Every few years they come out with something better. I hope one day in the very near future that they come out with a compact that performs like a DSLR. DDon't get me wrong, I love the quality of a good DSLR but in a housing they're a bit cumbersome. It'd be nice to get equal quality in a smaller package for diving.

Brickhead
10-11-2007, 09:17
Everyone sounds like a pro here... Do you have any suggestions for that once a year diver who want to spend less than $800 on a digital rig?

subsur
10-11-2007, 10:27
Everyone sounds like a pro here... Do you have any suggestions for that once a year diver who want to spend less than $800 on a digital rig?

well if you only want to take pictures underwater once per year or so then rent U/W camera (i mean camera and housing). many LDS offer this service. if you go to a resort, most likely you can rent camera+housing there as well.

edit: you may need to take UW digital photography class. some places would require you to have that c-card to rent the equipment.

Aussie
10-11-2007, 10:32

The Olympus Stylus 770sw with its underwater housing. I am looking at one to put in my pocket when I am not taking my big rig out. The camera itself is waterproof to 10m and with its underwater case its goes to 40m. So in theory if the underwater case floods you have a great chance of saving the camera. Most of my floods have been in shallow water.

Its also a great little point and shot for the other 364 days in the year.

Aussie

dbh
10-12-2007, 21:57

That is the first time that I have ever heard of a DSLR fogging (and I am on my second DSLR and have been on quite a few trips with other DSLR shooters). Comapcts fog up WAY more because they get hotter due to the flash going off inside of the housing.

Most major housing mfgs. support many lenses. I shoot a 60mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10-17mm and 17-35mm with my Subal. This is with 2 ports and 2 extension rings.

Dave

bversteegh
10-13-2007, 23:15
I have progressed from Oly P&Shoots (4040, 5060, 7070) to a Canon 20D DSLR. I would never go back to a P&S - the shutter lag is a killer (but having a built in zoom was nice).

Since DSLR housings are much more expensive, I am not changing cameras every generation any more. I would like either the Canon 40D (what I would choose because I already own a bunch of Canon lenses) or the Nikon D300. From my observations, I think the Nikon has a little better autofocus and user inteface; but the Canon's have great high ISO and framerate for topside.

Almost all camera's available now can take superior pictures with a good operator - but DSLR will yield more keepers (and yes they are bigger, harder to pack, expensive) just depends on your priorities.