PDA

View Full Version : medical emergency items

subsur
10-10-2007, 13:34
we're going to Bonaire in several weeks. that's our first diving vacation. i was wondering what items i should bring with me (beside basic equipment: exposure protection, fins, mask, bc, regs, snorkel, DC, gauges, etc).
my question is more pertained to the diving emergency first-kit items. i'm thinking of iodide, alcohol, vinegar, DAN insurance, vicodine.
i don't want to forget something that can be of a radical importance (e.g. band-aids are not as they don't alleviate pain or stop bleeding they are for mere convenience).
any suggestions?
thank you

diversteve
10-10-2007, 14:24
my .02

my question is more pertained to the diving emergency first-kit items. i'm thinking of iodide, alcohol, vinegar, DAN insurance, vicodine.
Bring your DAN card. Although everybody there probably knows the number. If something that serious happens call an ambulance and go to the hospital first, then call DAN.

btw, if your cell carrier doesn't work there, contact Chat n'Browse for either a rental or a sim card if you have an unlocked phone.

Everything else you mentioned can be bought at the Pharmacia in town if needed. Vinegar at Cultimara market a few blocks away.

Bring the thick boots and you likely won't need the vinegar for urchin stings, just saw a few in the ironshore just offshore. Over that I don't recall seeing any.

I shredded my leg the 2nd day there and was able to get betadine, alcohol, gauze, tape etc. at the Pharmacia. They do close for siesta but by then the bleeding had stopped so we went to lunch first.

Anything worse and there's the hospital...which has a chamber.

Unless you have a current prescription, I wouldn't try bringing Vicodin to Bonaire. They rarely check bags inbound but still...

mike_s
10-10-2007, 14:49

You should be able to get most stuff you need at the local pharmacy like the other poster said, but sometimes it's just nice to have a few small items on hand.

I'd suggest a few items:
-----------------------
* lip balm (chap stick) for your lips. salt, sun, and wind will dry them out.
* hydrocortizone- great for saltwater rashes caused by wet swim suit rubbing.
* liquid band aid - to put on your heels/toes sore spots caused by rubbing of feet in fins/booties. atheletic tape or duct tape is a substitute, just not as attractive.
* sun burn lotion (aloe vera).
* sore throat medicine (Halls or chloreseptic spray). Dry tank air will dry out your throat and make it tender. ( need for this is rare and can be picked up on island easily, but expensive).
* I'd include a small pack of band aids. cloth ones stay on better.

those items won't take up much space. Well worth having them handy instead of having to go into town.

if you're staying with a group of other divers you've never stayed with before, I'd definately take ear plugs too. People tired from diving snore more often it seems!