PDA

View Full Version : Delicate problems

Zenagirl
10-10-2007, 14:49
Thought I'd post a hint to everyone when going on a dive vacation out of the country or on a liveaboard to pack a treatment kit for yeast infections.

A few years ago we went to Israel for a vacation (not diving) and both my husband and I got sick drinking water, resulting in a moderate case of the trots. I had packed a few Imodium....basically enough for one of us, and it never entered my mind that we couldn't just pop into a pharmacy and get more. Duh, we weren't in America anymore!!

Anyway, while preparing for our first liveaboard trip (in Belize), I remembered our experience years before and not only packed plenty of Imodium and Pepcid, but also a kit to treat a yeast infection. I haven't had to use it (and hope I won't), but it's now a standard part of my "out of country" preparedness kit.

Anyone else have any "must take" items?

cyclone
10-11-2007, 06:21
:weirdthread: Hmmm...I'll pack an ummm...ah...wha...ugh...nah...

YellowfinKunkfish
10-11-2007, 07:56
:weirdthread: Hmmm...I'll pack an ummm...ah...wha...ugh...nah...

Well, possibly you don't understand because you're MALE, and you're in the WOMEN'S forum, posting in a post clearly titled *delicate problems.*:smiley29:

chrissysb
10-11-2007, 10:14
UTI Medicine (Or at least the Over the Counter Stuff that relieves the pain) OMG - I would rather have jammed toothpicks under my nails than experience THAT again.

caroln
10-11-2007, 10:24
I definitely wouldn't go without all 'girl products' just in case. I also pack the immodium for DH and lots of tums/rolaids/other acid reflux meds for me. Next time I'm in Mexico I'll definitely be picking up a couple of z-packs that I'll take with me just in case. I'd also bring something like sudafed, and some form of ear beer to avoid ear issues. Oh yeah and since I'm a puker, definitely seasick meds.

Tableleg
10-11-2007, 11:49
:weirdthread: Hmmm...I'll pack an ummm...ah...wha...ugh...nah...:smilie39:

YellowfinKunkfish, not all males are that bad. From a previously married guy, I had a good idea what the thread was going to be about, having experienced the territory. I just find you women are ALWAYS more prepaired for ANYTHING better than we are (Cyclone as a fine example) and love to hear how you guys pack/prepair for trips so that I can update my kit. I usually take allergy stuff (like Sudafed and Benadryl) but would of never thought of acid reflux aids or the ear bear. Kinda like Zenagirl, if it's never happened to me, I'd of never thought of it. :smiley2:

Zenagirl
10-11-2007, 19:02
Yeah, I knew it was kind of a weird topic, but thought it would be valuable to us girls. Thanks to everyone who is posting hints and reminders!

Liv7301
10-12-2007, 06:27
While putting together our Save a Dive kit and preparing for our trip next month, I immediately thought of all of the stuff I will need to bring because of my sinus issues but I never thought of anything "below the waist." I love the idea of bringing the OTC meds for UTIs and Yeast Infections. My doc did prescribe for me an extra set of antibiotics in case I have a sinus infection start while out on the boat, which wouldn't be a stretch for me because I get them chronically. However these are very strong (Augmentin, 2000mg a day, 21 days) because that's how much I need to kick the infection, and I always end up with a yeast infection. If I am bringing butt-kicking antibiotics I should bring butt kicking yeast infection treatments too.

Haven't had a UTI in years and that is fine with me. They suck. Has anybody tried the OTC UTI stuff? How good is it at relieving the pain?

YellowfinKunkfish
10-12-2007, 06:59
Haven't had a UTI in years and that is fine with me. They suck. Has anybody tried the OTC UTI stuff? How good is it at relieving the pain?

Recently realized I was getting a UTI on a Friday night. Didn't really want to go to the emergency room, or clinic for that, so used the OTC stuff for pain to get me through the weekend. Worked GREAT! Got me through the weekend, and all day at work Monday until I could get to the doc.

Rhonda

chrissysb
10-12-2007, 10:38
[quote=Liv7301;72796]

For pain - It's great but it's not an antibiotic to make it go away. Just be prepared for RED and I mean R-E-D pee.

Zenagirl
10-12-2007, 13:59
I'm going to have to buy some of that OTC UTI product. Haven't had a UTI in forever (knock wood), but anything to get rid of the pain until you can get to the doctor is A-OK in my book!

Thanks for the tip.

Chocoholic
10-12-2007, 17:31
Yeah it's much easier to just bring the stuff than to try to find it in a pharmacy and have to ask a male pharmacist who doesn't understand english. It's really hard to mime that kind of thing, trust me.... but I was desperate and finally got the right stuff.

divingyogini
10-12-2007, 20:56
We pack the tablet form of Pepto Bismol, which is really great, plus Benadryl, aspirin, and Immodium.

We also pack Thermacare wraps (not for dry suits - they're oxygen activated!) but to save the back and shoulders after a flight. Often we just wear them on the plane as a preventative.

Ah, and I now like to bring my neti pot on trips. There's lots about that on other forums: http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=4171&page=2.

Being a girl, I don't leave home without my Valerian root, which is the only thing that helps my cramps. It also is great for insomnia.

scubajane
10-12-2007, 21:07
I always pack pads and tampons. and alot. you never know when you need to share and it can be ditched at the end of the trip if unused. I also take half empty bottles of shampoo and hair creame I leave whatever I don't use. I also take a bag of candy and leave it in my motel room at the end of my stay with a note to thank the maids for cleaning my room. i've had maids follow me down the hall to thank me for the candy. it's all good

Zenagirl
10-12-2007, 21:15
For a liveaboard trip (especially) or to a destination I'm not familiar with, I also bring a bar of moisturizing soap (Dove). Nothing worse than feeling like your skin is going to flake off after diving all day and showering with the junk that so many places call soap.

Pandora
10-15-2007, 15:24
For those of us that are on an oral birth controll pill.............

If you are lucky enough to be headed on vacation during the all dreaded week - you can stop (pause) it.

My doctor had me take my pills for one week longer than normal. It was like hitting the pause button.........so i did not have to worry about being eaten by a shark :smiley20:

dallasdivergirl
10-15-2007, 15:30
I did the minerva so I don't have to worry about birth control (or periods or cramps). Last year I was on the patch and that was a pain. I was constantly having to put on new patches.

I pack a bag with everything for the stomach issues and a small first aid kit. I avoid antibiotics at all costs but I think eating yogurt with active enzymes or some of the tablets with the active enzymes in them would help combat the yeast infection issue.

jimmysdevoted
10-15-2007, 20:21
see thats a nice idea. very thoughtful at the very least.
men get UTI, yeast infections and a hot of oher things that many think are common to women only.

Taking a tube of 2% miconizole is useful for both men( for jock itch, athletes foot, yeast infections in women or fungal infections)/Large tubes run about 3 dollars from the dollar store.

UTI infections are not funny for anyone. they can lead to bladder, kidney infections. symptoms can be hot and cold sweats, nausea, vomiting and a strange under color similar to hepatitis.
Yes Cranberry juice tablets will work. And highvItamin C dry beverage poeder is handy to take if you suspect.
A general multipurpose antibiotic should be carried with you if you are going out of country. Clindimyacin is teh best for every type of infection thatyou may encounter

Bendryl.Universal ntihistamine
Aveeno anti itch cream with Parmoxine(?)
Aleve. Tyenol. Aspirin can case a funy reaction with some foods. Tylenol is unoversal and aleve is universal it no adverse reatcions with certain foods or non alcoholic beverages

Bonine or dramamine2. Meclazine is a better anti nausea drug and doesnt make you sleepy like other meds and is useful for bladder, kidney or menstrual cramps.

PAds and Tampons. Pads and tampons both are adviseable. with some infections the use of atampon can hinder full recovery and a pad will allow your body to breathe a bit in an nknown envirnment. Also rememer that TSS is a tampon related problem that cane be exacerbated by environmental contaminents etc.

Anne Eastwell
10-16-2007, 19:25
With you guys travelling to Europe just be aware that some countries forbid (read criminal offence) taking in medications that contain codeine..... a guy from Australia went to Greece (I think) carrying a pain killer with codeine in it and nearly ended up in jail!!!

I always take the "girl stuff", my partner always takes his big first aid kit, along with voltaren gel (anti inflammatory for muscles), berocca, panadol. Mind you we're driving, not travelling o/s or on planes... we can afford to overpack.

divingmedic
10-19-2007, 21:26
I did the minerva so I don't have to worry about birth control (or periods or cramps). Last year I was on the patch and that was a pain. I was constantly having to put on new patches.

I pack a bag with everything for the stomach issues and a small first aid kit. I avoid antibiotics at all costs but I think eating yogurt with active enzymes or some of the tablets with the active enzymes in them would help combat the yeast infection issue.
Any woman taking antibiotics should eat yogurt while taking them. It will help prevent a yeast infection. Also remember that antibiotics will make your birth control pills null and void, so take other measures unless you want to expand your family unit.

TX SCUBA FAMILY
10-19-2007, 23:16
I would be sure and take some type of athletes foot remedy. Your feet are at a greater risk when on a scuba trip.
If you wear contacts bring extra pairs just in case.
Also if you have something for pink eye. It usually is a minor eye infection but it can be a real bummer. Nothing is yuckier than if you have goo running down your face.

PhD4JC
11-23-2007, 10:25
Waterproof bandaids, that I keep in my log book.

scubajane
11-30-2007, 18:18
Oh don't forget the 'skin shield' also known as "Newskin" or 'Nuskin' these are like a liquid bandaid. it looks and smells like clear nailpolish. It burns like mad when put on a cut but it makes a seal and it's much better than getting salt water in a cut. I had to get stitches when I was in costa rica. and i painted the sutures with many layers of skin shield. I never missed a dive.