PDA

View Full Version : Quick vacation, single diver.....

hoop
10-10-2007, 15:07
OK, here's the lowdown.... Getting ready to change jobs, and will have about a 2 week lapse with nothing to do but drink beer and watch the clouds float by....... I would much rather be in some blue water doing some diving.....

Any recommendations for a single diver wanting to hit coz (or hell, just blue water for that matter) for a 3-4 day get away? I've never gone it alone, and just wondering what kind of options are out there. Thanks!

Defman
10-10-2007, 18:03
Be prepared to pay about 50% more with the single supplement.

I like to stay at FiestAmericana, and dive with Papa Hogs. FA is quiet and enough south that you're close to the diving. On the other hand, if you plan to hang out in town it's not very close.

chace_nicole
10-10-2007, 18:10
check out aquasafari.com and click accomodation & click check out other dive packages. The rates are for hotel, diving and tax. They look pretty reasonable & most include breakfast.

hoop
10-10-2007, 20:28
check out aquasafari.com and click accomodation & click check out other dive packages. The rates are for hotel, diving and tax. They look pretty reasonable & most include breakfast.

Have you used any of Aqua Safaris services? Never been to Coz, but keep an eye on the boards for reputable operators and haven't heard of them (which doesn't mean much)........:smiley29:

Defman
10-10-2007, 22:02
I travel solo all of the time, so I have experience and five CZM trips.

There's two easy ways to price it, they pretty much come out the same.. Hotel/diving + air, or air/hotel + diving. I've always had good luck and good pricing from Funjet and Worry Free for hotel/air. They fly out of DFW, I don't know if they have flights from OKC but the drive to DFW isn't that bad if you don't mind.... Most dive shops have hotels they swing deals with, and vice-versa, and you could spend days figuring all of the combos.. or you could put a travel agent to work, that what they're here for!

This months Scuba Diving has some resort/dive shop reader ratings in it. Blue XT-Sea, Dive with Martin, and Scuba Cozumel all got 100% ratings, that doesn't change my previous recommendation of Papa Hogs though. PH has some deals with a couple of hotels, and their own little 4 room "motel". It's super basic, but extremely convenient. I've also stayed next door at Villa Blanca, it was OK too. The Villa Blanca trip got cut short due to illness, I was only there 2 days.

One of the many things I like about FiestAmericana is the AC.. Sounds kinda trivial, but it's a REAL AC, not some window unit that barely does the job. I'd put my wetsuit on the patio draped over the chair and let the exhaust of the AC dry it & my booties out.... always nice to slip into DRY gear!! Also nice to fly home with dry gear!

Personally, I'd suggest a hotel/air combo then you can switch your dive opp in the event you don't like them instead of being tied to them by your hotel.

chace_nicole
10-10-2007, 22:27
I haven't used them before, but have heard good things. It just looks like they try to cut solo travelers/divers a break pricewise for lodging...makes sense what defman says about diving separate from everything else, just incase.

hoop
10-10-2007, 22:36
Thanks folks! That gives me some ideas to work with.... Defman, I'll be shooting you a PM on specifics if you don't mind....

Chace, where you do most your diving? I'm a Murray man myself....

Defman
10-11-2007, 08:23
Thanks folks! That gives me some ideas to work with.... Defman, I'll be shooting you a PM on specifics if you don't mind....

Don't mind at all.

Another idea that expands on my last comment... Totally up to you, but.... You could dive with a different shop each day and give us a report when you come back!!!

charlesml3
10-11-2007, 09:08
First of all, you'll be FINE going to Coz alone. I did it once when the rest of my dive crew bailed on me 10 days before the trip. Met a bunch of divers on the boat the first day and ended up hanging out with them the rest of the week. This is off season in Coz so you can easily just fly down and find a hotel when you get there. I like the Barracuda. Good spot for divers, nice pool and swimup bar. Not terribly expensive either. Any dive op will pick you up at their pier as well.

-Charles

kqhouston
10-15-2007, 17:25
My buddy and I dive the fast boats with Dive Paradise, and we are often joined by a single or a couple of single divers...If I were going alone, I'd find them or another 6-pack boat.

and do your own hotel direct, if you can.....you can get some great deals. We were paying like, $85 a day at one all inclusive, my daughter decided to jump on the trip, just showed up there and they gave her a $60 day rate.

Have a great time. I was there first of Sept and the diving was fabulous.

georoc01
10-15-2007, 18:00
I'd check over at Singledivers.com, outside of her normal trips, she may have some ideas on how to avoid the single supplements!

csky
10-15-2007, 19:50
If you want to go for a lower budget hotel with lots of solo travelers, I can recommend going downtown to someplace like Hotel Pepita or one of the B&B's. Pepita especially is quite nice for the pice (<$40/night) with a central courtyard to sit back and relax. Being downtown you can easily walk to most of the restaurants and nightspots. The only downside is the lack of an oceanview or beach (but you can always head over to Barracuda and enjoy the bar/pool as a bar patron).

The other option that has worked well for me is to do a air+hotel package on Orbitz which often has good coupon codes that really help keep the price down.

I've gone as a single diver and had good luck with a small operation -- if you go with a big one, they might shuffle you around between groups on different days. Lots of great recs here - I dove with Bottom Time Divers (http://bottomtimedivers.net/) - small group, awesome owner/DM in Raul, and fun times on the SI! Most days there were a couple of divers, mostly pretty experienced, and we hung out together evenings if we got needed company.

tedwhiteva
10-15-2007, 20:39
Check out Blackbeards charters- in the Bahamas.

Aspendiver
10-16-2007, 00:58
You can get great deals on hotels from hotwire ($39/night) or Cancun hotel Directory (I bought my airfare from them and tacked on Casa del Mar for about $45/night) Doesn't matter on the rate whether you are single or not. Dive with Martin has great deals (across the street, basically, from CDM), but book with Stacey of Vacation Connection ahead of time so there is no credit card surcharge. I dive single all the time....

chace_nicole
10-17-2007, 01:36

Chace, where you do most your diving? I'm a Murray man myself....

I have only done my OW cert dives & that was at Tenkiller. Will dive Coz this december:) :) :)
I would like to try Murray simply because of distance & I have family close to there. Does Murray have a designated dive area like Tenkiller?

hoop
10-17-2007, 08:51
I wouldn't say there is any one designated area, as you can dive anywhere on the lake. You will definitely need a boat for that, though.... There are several dive sites where they teach that you can dive down by Marietta landing. There are some platforms, sunken boats, motorcycle, etc.... I like it because I can drive down in the morning, get 4 or 5 dives in and get back to the city at a decent time. Tenkiller is pretty much a camping excursion when I go up there... Just too much driving for one day. I've pretty much put up my gear for the winter, but next spring, if you're up for it, we should get together and do a Murray dive..... I would like to meet some more local divers that enjoy lake diving as much as I do.

chace_nicole
10-17-2007, 16:08
I'm up for it! I will give lake diving a second chance:smiley20:

hoop
10-19-2007, 20:46
I'm up for it! I will give lake diving a second chance:smiley20:

Cool! I've known several people that have got their check out dives in a lake, and it really spooked them.... Once you go to the blue water, you'll sort of get your bearings..... Then you should give lake diving another chance. If it works out, great, and if not, you're just a blue water diver... It's a win-win!:smiley20: