PDA

View Full Version : Retractable line on a BC to hold stuff?

Cichlid
07-16-2007, 22:01
I made my first trip to my LDS and they had a BC that was all decked
out with accesories. I think it was a Zeagle, but can't remember. It
had a rip cord holding a flashlight, really cool. You just pulled it
out to use, then the cord retracted back when you were done. I'm new,
so this could be something standard and I wouldn't know. But, do you
guys like this type of attachment? Would you pay extra to have it?

cummings66
07-16-2007, 22:03
Not me, I don't like those and no I would not pay extra for it.

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 22:04
a retractor is a must you can buy all diffrent styles i also have a zeagle and use them on my light and guages .... they are a must for me so you have nothing to dangle or get caught in anything they range frim 20 to 50 bucks

frankc420
07-16-2007, 22:07
I made my first trip to my LDS and they had a BC that was all decked
out with accesories. I think it was a Zeagle, but can't remember. It
had a rip cord holding a flashlight, really cool. You just pulled it
out to use, then the cord retracted back when you were done. I'm new,
so this could be something standard and I wouldn't know. But, do you
guys like this type of attachment? Would you pay extra to have it?

I had one on my traditional jacket style BC. It was ok for awhile, then sand would get jammed up inside and I would have to make an extra effort to get the sand out. (probably a little lazyness on my part smileys/smiley5.gif). I've heard that after extended use the springs can get weak and cause your gear to drag, just like it would if you didn't have it at all.

I'd say save your $$ and get a bolt snap.

wxboy911
07-17-2007, 19:13
I keep my gauges/compass on a retractor...anything else I need I usually clip to one of the D rings on the BC. It seems to work well and keeps me from dragging my goods though the dirt.

FishFood
07-17-2007, 19:25
Ive got a couple Akona retracts. Pay good money for one and they should last a good while. Like others I keep my computer console on one. That way I always know where it is and it doesn't bang around anything. Im thining about adding my flash light and camera to one. Not sure yet...

Joew
07-17-2007, 21:03
I used to keep my SPG on a retractor. After a while the spring started to give out and it wouldn't retract all the way. Then one day after being dragged around in the sand (I moonlight as a rescue dummy) it got clogged up and died on me. Since then I've been using a simple SS bolt snap to clip it off. In all fairness to the retractor, it did last me 2-3 years. But I don't think I'll ever buy another one.

DiveCaptain
07-17-2007, 23:06
The BCD I used in OW certification had a snap for the gauges. It made it impossible to read the gauges w/o unhooking it from the BCD. (Pain in butt if you ask me) I've seen the retractors and believe if you keepm it in good condition that it would be a good investment. I'm looking into it myself after I get the essentials.

techgnostic
07-18-2007, 00:30
I used to keep my SPG on a retractor. After a while the spring started to give out and it wouldn't retract all the way. Then one day after being dragged around in the sand (I moonlight as a rescue dummy) it got clogged up and died on me. Since then I've been using a simple SS bolt snap to clip it off. In all fairness to the retractor, it did last me 2-3 years. But I don't think I'll ever buy another one.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>SS or Brass (a nicer old world feel, if you ask me)</DIV>

techgnostic
07-18-2007, 00:33
I've seen the retractors and believe if you keepm it in good condition that it would be a good investment.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Retractors have a finite lifespan, even with good care, they wear out...quality cord and hardware does not. Buy it once and be done with it.</DIV>

Vercingetorix
07-18-2007, 14:18
I had a retractor for console. Didn't like the way it dangled or might get caught or drag. I moved the computer (Veo 250 and compass to wrist boots) and zip-tied the SPG to a SS snap-bolt which clips to my BP/W left hip D-ring. I set the SPG such that I can read it withou unclpping it. It does not drag nor get caught.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>DIR advocates consider retractors on par with suicide clips. On this, I agree.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Lights, tools, whatever, are also zip-tied to snap rings if necessary. SMB and spool have their own snap rings.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I've got one Oceanic retractor for sale; make me an offer.</DIV>

somewhereinla
07-18-2007, 19:13
A lot of the "DIR" philosophy makes a lot of sense but they often they tend to be a bit close minded. Don't forget that DIR is very much gear toward cave divers, the rules are very different for open water. Some of the DIR principles can apply and make sense to both cave and open water diving, some other princples don't make much sense for OW. As a rule I do believe that less is more.

CompuDude
07-19-2007, 02:38
Retractors: It's not a question of if, but of when, it will break. Often not a huge issue, but you know, I have enough gear that requires special treatment to clean that I really don't need to add to the list.

Nice stainless steel boltsnaps are worry free. And you can get several for the price of one retractor.

BSea
07-19-2007, 10:12
When I used a console, I had it on a retractor. As others have said, you have to replace it every few years. Now my computer is on my wrist, and my spg is clipped off. The only thing I have that I use a retractor for is my compass. But I think it's going to end up being clipped off, or on my wrist.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If you use it for your console, then it's no big deal if it breaks. If you use it for lights, a computer, or like in my case a compass, if it breaks you probably are going to have to replace a piece of gear. I have never had 1 break, they just loose retraction power. I don't think I would ever put a stand alone computer on a retractor.</DIV>

mermoose
09-18-2007, 21:07
I have had a retractor built into my bc for six years. I love them, never had a problem with sand or other debris in mine. They are still in good working condition. Mine is the akona kit, retractable line on the right shoulder for a small light and another on the left hand front lower pocket for my console. I am shopping for a new bc now and hope to find on that I can use this kit on.FYI in the 6 yrs I have done over 100 dives with them and it also has a mounting for my knife on the front of the bc.

jo8243
09-18-2007, 22:07
Retractors are awesome. I use about 4. One for SPG, one for scooter, one for point-n-shoot digicam, one for light. Yes I am inspector gadget.

jo8243
09-18-2007, 22:08
Mine aren't "built-in" to the BC, by the way.. they are the add-on ones that clip onto a D-ring.

FastPirate
09-18-2007, 22:22
i know im new at all this, and i really dont have much of an authority on anything...but i was at my LDS the other day looking for snap's of all different shapes sizes and prices...and honestly (at least the ones at my LDS) looked pretty crummy to me...i mean they were all plastic and i have to be honest they looked and felt to me like they would break in a week... so instead i went to west marine and came up with my own stuff...
i got some rope and 2 clips, one big one for my guages so that i could easily get it off teh D ring even if i have gloves on...

http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=3721

i can understand why other people like the retractors though... i am more of a form follows function kinda guy who likes simple stuff, that i know wont break...

FishFood
09-18-2007, 22:27
^^ That's pretty clever. Looks like it might be tough to work with gloves. Maybe replace the clips with some d-rings.

MIght be a dumb question... what's the yellow thing?

DevilDiver
09-18-2007, 22:32
I never have liked retractors. It is clips for me.

diversteve
09-18-2007, 22:33
To each his own choice, but I've had this retractor (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RC002HF) for about 5 years now and it show no signs of weakening. And how can you go wrong with Joe's choice...

diversteve
09-18-2007, 22:34
MIght be a dumb question... what's the yellow thing?Octo holder...

DevilDiver
09-18-2007, 22:37
And how can you go wrong with Joe's choice...

And this says it all...........:smilie39:

FishFood
09-18-2007, 22:38
MIght be a dumb question... what's the yellow thing?Octo holder...

DOH! I knew that, just testing yall...

CompuDude
09-18-2007, 23:40
^^ That's pretty clever. Looks like it might be tough to work with gloves. Maybe replace the clips with some d-rings.

MIght be a dumb question... what's the yellow thing?

SS bolt snaps (what he used) are pretty much the only things tech divers will use.

Dry gloves or thick wetsuit gloves are the norm, and yet there's no problem...