PDA

View Full Version : Moving computer and compass to wrists?

skidiver
10-10-2007, 21:00
I'm not DIR or GUE, but I'm contemplating moving my Oceanic Veo 180 computer and my compass from the console to my wrists. How easy is this to do? What do I need, and how do I do it? My budget is limited, so DIY and inexpensive would be good.

Here's the computer:

http://oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_veo180.html

It's in a console with the SPG and compass.

Steve Scuba
10-10-2007, 21:09
They should come right out, and fit into little wrist boots you can buy fairly inexpensively. ST has some for the computer. The hockey-puck style are all pretty much the same size.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=wristboot

Scubastud16
10-10-2007, 22:49
The will both come out and fit in boots.

reservecops
10-12-2007, 12:32
I'm not DIR or GUE, but I'm contemplating moving my Oceanic Veo 180 computer and my compass from the console to my wrists. How easy is this to do? What do I need, and how do I do it? My budget is limited, so DIY and inexpensive would be good.

Here's the computer:

http://oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_veo180.html

It's in a console with the SPG and compass.I've taken my Veo180 NavCon apart and put it back together at least 4 times. Very easy to do. And, yes, the pucks will fit in wrist boots.

fire diver
10-12-2007, 15:51
Moving them to your wrists is great. Easier to see and use. One you get those out of your console, take the spg out too. Then put a boltsnap on it and clip it off so it won't dangle.

FD

dludwig
10-12-2007, 19:47
I need to find some longer arms so I can see them better on my wrist :smilie39:

fire diver
10-12-2007, 19:57

Are you stoned right now? I'm trying to make sense of your post, but I just don't get the humor.

mitsuguy
10-12-2007, 22:10
The will both come out and fit in boots.

and you'll be much happier as well... although it adds a step to suiting up, for me, it's much easier / more comfortable to look at my wrist versus grabbing for the spg to see depth and my favorite feature of the dive computer- ascent rate...

BobbyWombat
10-13-2007, 07:59
... although it adds a step to suiting up, for me, ...

Yep. I find it easiest to put my BC on first, since the wrist boots want to hang up in the shoulder straps if you put them on first.

Good move, I think you will be happy w/ the new setup.

-BW

Edit: How the heck did this post wind up here? this was a response to an entirely different thread. WEIRD.

skidiver
10-16-2007, 07:44
They should come right out, and fit into little wrist boots you can buy fairly inexpensively. ST has some for the computer. The hockey-puck style are all pretty much the same size.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=wristboot

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Very helpful!

One thing I forgot to mention is that I'd prefer a bungie over strap/buckle. Does anyone know if the one from ST can be converted to accept a bungie?

skidiver
02-04-2008, 14:06
bttt to see if anyone has any thoughts on the bungee issue.

Gombessa
02-04-2008, 14:36
Some I know simply cut the console between the different gauges to create makeshift "boots." They then drill/solder holes through the rubber and string bungee through the holes. Not pretty, but it really works just as well as anything.

MLenyo
02-04-2008, 14:56
Moving them to your wrists is great. Easier to see and use. One you get those out of your console, take the spg out too. Then put a boltsnap on it and clip it off so it won't dangle.

FD

does it make any difference whether your SPG is in a boot or not?

fireflock
02-04-2008, 15:19
There is a place in the market for someone who will make wrist boots with bungee straps for puck sized computers and compasses. Most people make their own by cutting the straps linked above.

DSS makes some for particular models:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=instruments

I found a trident compass mount that works well for stringing bungees.

For the compass, find a boot with a little window in the side so you can use your compass that way too. I'm sure ST carries them if you call.

Rich

SarahBella
02-04-2008, 19:34
Going to the wrist is a good thing-I have my comp on my wrist and its always right where I need it. Find a setup that works for you and stay with it.

ianr33
02-04-2008, 20:51
Another vote for the Deep Sea Supply mounts
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=instruments

Hockey puck computers fit the bottom timer mount

RoyN
02-05-2008, 01:48
I still keep mine in a console. Hopefully I'll save money enough to get the VT3.

boat
02-05-2008, 14:26

Are you stoned right now? I'm trying to make sense of your post, but I just don't get the humor.

You have to be over 40 to "get it".

fire diver
02-06-2008, 11:07

FD

does it make any difference whether your SPG is in a boot or not?

Not for the functionality of the SPG. Many SPG boots are designed with a tie-in point that could make adding the boltsnap easier (using a double-ender).

However, many divers prefer the SPG to be "naked." This prevents sand and salt from building up inside the boot. If you dive in salty/sandy water with a boot, pop out the guages right now. Look at how much crap is in there. That can grind away and ruin a good guage way before it's functional life is over.

FD

hoobascooba
02-06-2008, 11:25

or stoned... irrelevant to age.

hoobascooba
02-06-2008, 11:26
so once you have the puck out of the console and slipped into a wrist boot, how do you attach a "transmitter"?

boat
02-06-2008, 11:47

or stoned... irrelevant to age.

Us old guys are just referring to our need for reading glasses. Can't focus on gauges that are too close.

I can't find the link right now but there's been some discussions about DIY'ing boots using FERNCO rubber pipe fittings found at Home Depot in the plumbing stuff.

fire diver
02-06-2008, 13:01
so once you have the puck out of the console and slipped into a wrist boot, how do you attach a "transmitter"?

Hmmm, not sure what you mean. If your computer is wireless integrated, the transmitter goes on your reg, not the computer. Maybe I just need a nap.

FD

fire diver
02-06-2008, 13:02
[quote=boat;128931
Us old guys are just referring to our need for reading glasses. Can't focus on gauges that are too close.
[/quote]

OHHHHH!!!! I understand now. Duh! :smiley29:

FD

hoobascooba
02-06-2008, 13:05

Hmmm, not sure what you mean. If your computer is wireless integrated, the transmitter goes on your reg, not the computer. Maybe I just need a nap.

FD

well, i guess I'm the one that needs a nap, or that I'm not following what's trying to be accomplished here.

One has a console computer. They want to make it fit into a wrist boot. Was it wireless to begin with? If so, then my original question is null and void.

So I guess what I'm gettin at, is if it's not wireless, how would you make it wireless? Not really possible, unless you're an electronics genius...

fire diver
02-06-2008, 13:15

FD

well, i guess I'm the one that needs a nap, or that I'm not following what's trying to be accomplished here.

One has a console computer. They want to make it fit into a wrist boot. Was it wireless to begin with? If so, then my original question is null and void.

So I guess what I'm gettin at, is if it's not wireless, how would you make it wireless? Not really possible, unless you're an electronics genius...

Most dive computer have no outside integration to your air supply. They simply make thier calcs based on the dive profile.

Some computers are integrated. Some are connected to your regs by a HP hose off the regulator. Some have a computer sensor module that connects to a HP port on your reg and transmitts tank pressure data by a radio signal to the computer.

The reason for moving any "non-direct connected" computer to your wrist is for ease of viewing / manipulating buttons to toggle screens. It's also more streamlined, and less likey to become a "danglie" as many diver's consoles are.

FD

CompuDude
02-06-2008, 13:18

The OP had a simple Oceanic Veo 180. Not air integrated, so no wireless transmitter... just a little puck that can go whereever you want... a console, your wrist, a pocket, or even a retractor.

hoobascooba
02-06-2008, 13:33
cool. I learned something today.

i just checked my computer, and sure enough, the puck is not air integrated. Hence, the analog pressure gauge. duh.

MLenyo
02-06-2008, 14:48
how many of you use AI wrist computers and what does a low-end one cost?

CompuDude
02-06-2008, 14:53

They tend to be in the $1k range, sometimes a little less if you're lucky, sometimes more.

DarinMartell
02-07-2008, 11:43

FD

Any reason I couldn't put the SPG on a shorter hose and run it down my left BC strap?

WAHMof2
02-08-2008, 14:56
I can't see wanting a wrist mount computer unless it's air integrated. With a console mount, you only have one place to look for the computer and SPG. With a wrist mount, you have two places to look. May be silly, but it makes sense to me.

CompuDude
02-08-2008, 15:11
I can't see wanting a wrist mount computer unless it's air integrated. With a console mount, you only have one place to look for the computer and SPG. With a wrist mount, you have two places to look. May be silly, but it makes sense to me.

As you gain experience, you'll find yourself consulting your SPG less and less, because you'll have better awareness of your air consumption. I have wireless AI usually, but when I don't, I still only check my SPG 2-3 times per dive, as opposed to very frequent checks of depth and time. So it's a lot handier to have the depth and time readily accessible than the air pressure.

fire diver
02-08-2008, 15:11

FD

Any reason I couldn't put the SPG on a shorter hose and run it down my left BC strap?

No reason at all. Some do that. Some run it under thier left arm and clip it to thier harness strap. If you are running standard rec gear, do what you want.

Things get a little more restictive when you add deco bottles, 2 backup lights, can lights, etc.

fire diver
02-08-2008, 15:12

As you gain experience, you'll find yourself consulting your SPG less and less, because you'll have better awareness of your air consumption. I have wireless AI usually, but when I don't, I still only check my SPG 2-3 times per dive, as opposed to very frequent checks of depth and time. So it's a lot handier to have the depth and time readily accessible than the air pressure.

Compu beat me to it. That's the main reason (with a few smaller reasons hidden in thier)

FD

CaptainRon
02-10-2008, 00:45

FD

No reason at all. Some do that. Some run it under thier left arm and clip it to thier harness strap. If you are running standard rec gear, do what you want.
I hadn't thought of that. Thats how we have our gauges on our firefighting SCBAs.

Judge
02-12-2008, 03:45

Nah...I am only 38...:smiley2:

KGNickl
02-12-2008, 08:49
I'm trying to decide on what I want to get:

-Wrist computer, BC clip compass, and spg clipped under my arm to BC.
-Single boot w/ computer, compass, and SPG.
-Boot w/ spg and compass and wrist computer.
-Or wait another 5-6 months and get an air integrated wrist computer w/ transmitter.

There are + and - for each and its so hard to decide. Choices........

mwhities
02-12-2008, 09:06

They tend to be in the $1k range, sometimes a little less if you're lucky, sometimes more.

I bought my Suunto Vyper for 375.00. It's a nice little computer. Now that I just finished my classroom work for deep air/adv nitrox, I need to buy myself the Suunto Vytec. (Gas switching.) I've seen them on Ebay and other sites for 1000.00 plus. So, it can vary depending on what type if diving you are doing. I'll use my Vyper as a back up to my Vytec and use the Vyper for normal (no deco/gas switching) dives.

Oh and as stated before http://www.deepseasupply.com is where I get all of my wrist mounts. I have one for my Vyper and SK7 compass. I'll need to order one for my Vytec too.

fireflock
02-12-2008, 12:35
If you're not looking for the AI part, you can get a new or used Vytec for a lot less. The prices are dropping more as the Vytec DS is out.

For gas switching computer that has a DSS mount, the Zeagle (DiveRite Nitek DUO clone) is another option for a lot less. It hold 2 gasses where the Vytec holds 3.

Rich

CompuDude
02-12-2008, 13:16

I bought my Suunto Vyper for 375.00. It's a nice little computer. Now that I just finished my classroom work for deep air/adv nitrox, I need to buy myself the Suunto Vytec. (Gas switching.) I've seen them on Ebay and other sites for 1000.00 plus. So, it can vary depending on what type if diving you are doing. I'll use my Vyper as a back up to my Vytec and use the Vyper for normal (no deco/gas switching) dives.

Oh and as stated before http://www.deepseasupply.com is where I get all of my wrist mounts. I have one for my Vyper and SK7 compass. I'll need to order one for my Vytec too.

That's a very good price. Was it used? The price I cited was for new computers. Also, the price I cited was for the full package, meaning the computer PLUS the transmitter. If you don't have the transmitter, you have a plain computer that is Air-Integrated-Capable, but won't do anything actually air-integrated until you add the transmitter... at extra cost.

Even at SleazurePro the cheapest NEW wireless AI computers I see (that include the transmitter) are just barely under $1k. ($959 for the Oceanic VT3 / Aeris T3) I do note they carry a couple of discontinued computers, such as the Oceanic Atom 1.0 (complete) on sale for $600, which is a killer deal. (The Atom 1 was discontinued nearly two years ago when the Atom 2 came out, but it's a decent computer.) In general, however... you're looking at $1k.

fireflock
02-12-2008, 13:32
They vyper does not have an AI option, but the Vytec does.

The 1k you cite is right in line with what I've seen new for wireless AI.

Rich

CompuDude
02-12-2008, 13:34
They vyper does not have an AI option, but the Vytec does.

The 1k you cite is right in line with what I've seen new for wireless AI.

Rich

Oops, my bad. I always get those two mixed up. Names are too close.

Plus I despise Suunto computers. LOL

(ignoring the Gekko I use during pool sessions!)

fireflock
02-12-2008, 14:45
It is confusing. To make things worse, they now have the vyper 2, the vytec ds, and probably some others to muck up the water.

WAHMof2
02-15-2008, 09:59

That makes a lot of sense. Right now, it seems like I'm constantly checking the gauge. The hubby tells me that as long as we're being good "buddies" and keeping an eye on each other, we would notice if one of us developed a leak. If there's no leaks, and you've only been down 15 minutes, there is plenty of air. I still don't trust that, and I check mine often. That's something I'm sure only experience will fix.

ianr33
02-15-2008, 12:03
Yep,as you dive more you will look at your spg less and less. On most dives I probably check mine about once every 10 minutes. Its a very useful game to guess what the reading will be before you actually look at it.

If you get a wrist computer then you could always clip the spg to a left chest D ring. Done correctly (i.e. sticking out a bit) it is almost a "head up" display. All you need do is glance down to read it,no hands needed.

As you get more experienced you can put it in the "standard" place which is a left hip D ring. More streamlined but a little more involved to read the pressure.

jcl06
02-17-2008, 19:18
I got a boot for my genies resource pro to see if i like diving with it on my wrist. if i like that than im going to buy a new computer as the resource is not nitrox compatible.

dannybot
02-17-2008, 20:43
I'm trying to decide on what I want to get:

-Wrist computer, BC clip compass, and spg clipped under my arm to BC.
-Single boot w/ computer, compass, and SPG.
-Boot w/ spg and compass and wrist computer.
-Or wait another 5-6 months and get an air integrated wrist computer w/ transmitter.

There are + and - for each and its so hard to decide. Choices........

I use option #1. It works well for me, my computer is right there, easy to see when taking photos. If the computer dies, I still have full redundant guages in case of any failure, or I can have my computer if my reg fails (I have borrowed regs in the past on trips to trial).

I don't like a wrist mount compass. I trained with a wrist mount compass in OW and AOW, maybe I'm stupid, but I could never navigate with the wrist mount, I just swam around in circles. Also my arms ARE too short for the compass.