PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater jellyfish

billucusdiver
10-10-2007, 21:44
Has anybody else ever found them in Norfork? have some pics of one i found last summer in Norfork.

Soonerwink
10-10-2007, 23:03
I have never been to Norfork, but I did see some in Grand Lake in NE Oklahoma, about the size of my thumbnail. I had a buddy of mine said he saw some a couple of weeks ago in Beaver Lake in Arkansas. I will be diving Beaver this weekend and I will have my camera with me. Maybe I can get a picture of one.

WV Diver
10-11-2007, 11:34
I have seen them here in WV at Mt. Storm Lake, they are very cool. I just reported a sighting last week but it has not been updated yet. Here is link giving you more info. on its biology and habitat.

http://www.jellyfish.iup.edu/index.html

Also there is a link that tells you where they have been spotted and when.
Just click on your state and see if it has been reported where you observed them and when. If they have not been reported in this area or if it has been a while please send in a report.

http://www.jellyfish.iup.edu/US.html

Here is the electronic form or you can send an email.

http://www.jellyfish.iup.edu/seen.html

texdiveguy
10-11-2007, 11:41
In the fall months in Lake Ouachita Arkansas you can see them on occasion.

Kokomo
10-11-2007, 12:27
Has anybody else ever found them in Norfork? have some pics of one i found last summer in Norfork.

Can we see the pics?

Boris42
10-11-2007, 16:13

I saw one a few weeks ago diving in a quarry in norther NC. It was only the size of a nickel and by the time I could get my db's attention I couldn't find it again.

mike_s
10-11-2007, 17:23
I found them for the first time at a quarry in Alabama in August of this year. it was cool!

cummings66
10-12-2007, 16:58
I've seen them in Table Rock Lake before, I think they're not that common but you will see them many places if you dive there often enough.

dludwig
10-12-2007, 19:42
they are in the lake we dive in Chillicothe, Illinois but the visibility is often to poor to see them :smiley5:

Mtrewyn
10-15-2007, 11:03

Can we see the pics?
if you follow the links from WV DIVER you can get some pics

BSea
10-15-2007, 11:19
I saw one in Greers Ferry Lake earlier this year. They are hard to find, and I've never found 1 when I was looking for 1.

GrtLks
10-15-2007, 22:15
I saw three this weekend in a quarry in New Paris, OH during our dive club's annual pumpkin carving contest. I wasn't looking for them either. They are pretty cool, and seem pretty widespread in terms of geography based on posts here.

Bring the Payne
10-16-2007, 01:38
Jellyfish are taking over the world! I was surprised to learn about freshwater stingrays, now freshwater jellyfish!! I did see Billicus' pics of them....pretty cool.

plot
10-21-2007, 13:41
I dive with a guy that claims he found on in beaver lake. I've never seen one though... never been looking either though.

chace_nicole
10-21-2007, 15:39
learn something new every day! Didn't know they were in freshwater! ha...will keep an eye out now. Not that I could even spot one w/our viz!

fire diver
10-21-2007, 16:52
They are very small, and clear from my understanding. I haven't found one yet either. Supposed to be most active during the fall.

I have seen pics, so I know they exist.

tarheeldiver
10-21-2007, 19:24

I saw one a few weeks ago diving in a quarry in norther NC. It was only the size of a nickel and by the time I could get my db's attention I couldn't find it again.
which quarry in NC? I saw some at Blanch quarry this week in NC
greg

Boris42
10-21-2007, 19:34

greg

It was the James Mac Robertson quarry, aka the Yancyville quarry. It's a private quarry that the PDRA runs.

Check with your LDS to see if they are a member. If they are it's only $35 a year to dive there. They have 2 other quarries as well, but it's my understanding that this is the best of the three.

tarheeldiver
10-24-2007, 18:02

greg

It was the James Mac Robertson quarry, aka the Yancyville quarry. It's a private quarry that the PDRA runs.

Check with your LDS to see if they are a member. If they are it's only $35 a year to dive there. They have 2 other quarries as well, but it's my understanding that this is the best of the three.
That'e the same one we just call it Blanch quarry its a very nice quarry maybe see you there sometime.
greg