PDA

View Full Version : What type of retractor do I need to clip to my BC?

davieeeee
10-11-2007, 06:10
I have another noob question...
on my Oceanic OceanPro FX BC, there is a small round metal hole in the pocket which is supposedly for a retractor. I have never used a restractor before so I am wondering... is there a special type of retractor that I need to get that will fit through the hole and stay there without cutting the cord then sewing it back together :smiley36:? Or have I just got it completly wrong? Note that this is going to be connacted to the Aeris Compass listed on ST, if that makes any difference. Thanks!

ScubaToys Larry
10-11-2007, 07:13
The oceanic retractor fits in there. The end of the retractor can be removed, then you put the line through there and put the end back on. That puts the retractor in the bc, and just the line coming through the grommet.

It's the smaller one in this kit: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AerisBCAccessoryValuePack

And we'll get it on the page as an individual item... and it comes with either the oceanic or aeris name on it - as they are the same company really.

TxScubaBear
10-12-2007, 06:26
Retractors are a GOOD thing to me, I use one to keep my spg close at hand, helps you in streamlining your dive profile, plus helps protect it from hitting anything on the bottom if you get too close to the bottom. Also use one on my slate/compass rig- there when you need it but out of the way when you don't.

reservecops
10-12-2007, 12:05
Retractors are a GOOD thing to me, I use one to keep my spg close at hand, helps you in streamlining your dive profile, plus helps protect it from hitting anything on the bottom if you get too close to the bottom. Also use one on my slate/compass rig- there when you need it but out of the way when you don't.I prefer the retractors that have the quick-clips somewhere in between each end. That way, you can leave it set up to retract whenever you need a quick look (e.g., pulling your console out to check your air), but can unclip it (and, hence, not fight the pressure of the spring pulling it back) when you are navigating with your compass.

fire diver
10-12-2007, 15:58
Just a question...

Are you sure you need a retractor? Have you talked with other local divers / divemasters about gear they use and recommend.

Some people later regret buying a retractor. Some people love theirs. What type of diving do you plan on doing over the next few years?

FD

Venio
10-12-2007, 16:14
Just a question...

Are you sure you need a retractor? Have you talked with other local divers / divemasters about gear they use and recommend.

Some people later regret buying a retractor. Some people love theirs. What type of diving do you plan on doing over the next few years?

FD

FD is very diplomatic. Stay away form retractors! I thought they were the coolest thing out there. Then I got one, now it collects dust home.

Vercingetorix
10-12-2007, 16:26
I originally had a rtractor on my console (Veo250, SPG, compass). In order to stream-line and prevent entanglement, the Veo250 and compass are on my wrist. The SPG is snapped-clipped to my left hip D-ring. Like Venio, the retractor gathers dust.

Wanna buy mine? I got it from ScubaToys.

fire diver
10-12-2007, 16:29
I think my retractor is still on my AVID bc. It's an AKONA brand. Niether gets used anymore.

FD

Tod
10-12-2007, 17:41
My retractor is on my girlfriend's BC. (Or it was until she broke it.) Meaning I don't use one anymore on my own rig. When I did use it, I found it was handy to have.

Having said that, everyone's opinions here will vary. So if you think you want to try one, then give it a go. If you find out later you don't like it, you're not out a ton of cash. There are two sizes: big and small. I used a small one for my original console. Eventually it wore out, but it lasted for about 90-100 dives. The larger size would probably do better for a console.

dludwig
10-12-2007, 18:00
SCUBA retractors are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Everything is close at hand yet you are still streamlined :smiley20:

Splitlip
10-12-2007, 20:56
Just a question...

FD

FD is very diplomatic. Stay away form retractors! I thought they were the coolest thing out there. Then I got one, now it collects dust home.

:smiley20:
I will post pics of a better (IMO) alternative.

Venio
10-12-2007, 21:06
If you are talking about better use for retractors, I've already came up with an idea. My girlfriend often can't find her keys, so I'm thinking about attaching her keys on one end and the retractor to her purse.:smiley20:

Damselfish
10-12-2007, 22:05
I use and like a retractor on my console. If you don't like it, not like it was that much money.

terrillja
10-13-2007, 15:25
This is the retractor that I have:

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RC002HF

It is small, and with the clip I can just unclip it if I don't want it to retract. I keep it clipped onto the d-ring where the little gauge clip is from the factory, on the bottom of the shoulder strap. I have the Oceanic Probe LX, but I keep a spinner knife on each side, which uses the grommets. I personally like the retractor, since it is easy to yank and release. Wrist boots were out for me, since I dive dry in the middle of the summer, so adding more stuff to put on in 85degree heat is not the best idea IMO.

Silverlode
10-15-2007, 05:46
I'm looking at getting a compass sometime and am wondering if I should use a retractor with it or a wrist bungee mount from DSS.

My LDS was recommending a retractor for the computer I was eyeing, but after reading the forums here, I'd decided on a mount from DSS for the dive computer.

However, I'd not read any pros/cons on compass on retractor.

I don't like console, so I'm not going that direction

tbuckalew
10-15-2007, 16:43
I'm looking at getting a compass sometime and am wondering if I should use a retractor with it or a wrist bungee mount from DSS.

My LDS was recommending a retractor for the computer I was eyeing, but after reading the forums here, I'd decided on a mount from DSS for the dive computer.

However, I'd not read any pros/cons on compass on retractor.

I don't like console, so I'm not going that direction

I used to have a compass on my console. The problem was, I couldn't always get it out in front of me where I wanted it. When the compass bit the dust - I replaced it with a free compass and put it on a retractor. Loved it, but then saw a compass mounted on a slate - perfect. Put that on my retractor on my left shoulder - perfect. I can pull that compass way out in front of me for better navigation and use the slate for my nav notes.

No Misses
10-15-2007, 17:48
Hey, stop bashing the retractors ;-)

I have my light (Mini Q40) on a retractor. I use the light to look under ledges for lobster. I used to set the light down so that it shown in the hole while I attempted to catch the lobster. I got tired of having to buy new lights to replace the ones that I left laying on the bottom.

P.S. Most consoles are too heavy for a retractor. Just clip it off to your left waist D ring. You will find that you do not need to check it as often once you get some dive experience. I check mine a couple of times during the dive. At the end of my dive I unclip it and monitor my ascent rate and safety stop time. I have attached a photo of my unclipped DC while reeling up line on my safety stop.

danielh03
10-16-2007, 02:40
I love my retractor. I have a Gear Keeper. The line is kevlar with a nylon sheath. Says its tested to 80 LBS, but I dont want to try it! Pretty tough bugger though. I like slide lock. Keeps my gear were I want it

davieeeee
10-19-2007, 22:24
Thanks for the replies guys. I am actually planning to use my Compass on a retractor hence why I am in the market for one.
The reason I want to use the retractor is...
a. I already have wrist mounted computer, so dont want to have to mount something else on my arm.
b. I dont plan on using it often enough to need it to always be in sight.
c. I like the idea of leaving it mounted on my BC and forgetting about it until I need it.

What do you guys think?

My only concern is having to hold an average size compass fairly flat underwater, while fighting the pull of the retractor. Did anyone find this an issue?

davieeeee
10-22-2007, 17:02
Larry,
Just curious if this restractor is already available for seperate sale? If so are we able to get a price for it? I am compiling a list of things to get and this is the last thing on the list. Cheers.

CompuDude
10-22-2007, 18:02
Not a fan of retractors. Have had many over the years, and only one is still going, 2 years later. I only use it in the pool... all of the others failed while in use. And the more I think about it, I think I'll take that one out of service next time I go in, even though it certainly won't kill me if it fails in the pool.

For the record, it's not (usually) the line that fails. It's the retractor spring. So whatever you wanted close is now dangling low, and you're also trailing a loop of very tough string, just waiting to snag on something.

With retractors, it's not a question of IF they'll fail, it's a question of WHEN, and how much problem it will cause when it does. With bolt snaps, it's truly questionable whether they'll fail. I've heard of one or two, but it's VERY rare... compare that to the retractor failure rate. :smiley5:

Anne Eastwell
10-22-2007, 18:47
My noob question is on a slightly different tangent.... I want to clip my console onto my bc (Zeagle Zena) and also my ocky. I have four d rings on the bc.... two at the bottom and two about waist high. Any suggestions?

The stuff on ST is mind boggling and I can't work out what's what!! Must be a girl problem.

terrillja
10-22-2007, 19:09
I do octo on the higher ones, console also on the higher ones. Just make sure to not cross the hose across to the opposite side, since that can make it hard to get out of in an emergency.

Anne Eastwell
10-22-2007, 19:14
I do octo on the higher ones, console also on the higher ones. Just make sure to not cross the hose across to the opposite side, since that can make it hard to get out of in an emergency.

What do you use to clip on with?? Something I can see on ST?

Splitlip
10-22-2007, 19:14
I would say clip to the higher "chest' d-rings. Using the attached.
It hangs no more than most retractors.

Using the console pictured, glancing downward, the computer is easily read and the compass is in view.
Roll the console over the SPG is easily displayed.
Unclip and navigate with the compass.

I am with compudude. When the retractor fails, it will fail as he described.

I normally wear my compass and computer on my wrists, but I have 2 consoles set up as described.

CompuDude
10-22-2007, 19:51

What do you use to clip on with?? Something I can see on ST?
Splitlip's console keeper is a good, rugged idea.

I like a simple snorkel keeper for an octo holder. $2 or less. Super reliable. Last a long time, and if it does fail (I have one 3 yrs old still going strong), it's easily replaced. Easier to put the mouthpiece in than the bungee ones that require you to: 1) pinch the toggle stop to open the bungee, 2) pull open the bungee, 3) insert the mouthpiece, 4) tighten the bungee to just the right tension... as opposed to 1) pull to stretch snorkel keeper open 2) insert mouthpiece. (and perhaps "3) let go"?)

Attach it at the higher (mid-chest) d-ring by slip knotting it through the d-ring.

(referring to a recreational short hose rig, of course... I dive a long hose rig with a bungee necklaced backup, normally)

Anne Eastwell
10-22-2007, 20:13
Sorry Daveeeee I've kind of hijacked your thread, thanks everyone for your ideas.

missnumnutz
10-23-2007, 01:17
Sorry Daveeeee I've kind of hijacked your thread, thanks everyone for your ideas.

dun worri about it davieeeee's a top bloke im sure he doesn't mind sharing :smiley20:
:smilie40:heheheh