PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Turks and Caicos?

larry200
10-11-2007, 10:09
My wife and I will be diving in the Turks and Caicos sometime between November 27 and December 7 (frequent-flyer flight availability window). We're leaning toward Grand Turk, but are interested in hearing any Turks and Caicos advice: resorts, dive ops, restaurants, local travel tips etc.

Thanks in advance!

-- Larry B.

ScubaToys Larry
10-11-2007, 11:04
I did it as a live aboard with Peter Hughes and it was great! Now we were on the western side - providenciales, and the walls and life were great, and we also got to get a dive in with a Whale and her baby swimming by... but that was Feb... probably too early when you're going.

Never stayed on Grand turk... just he live aboard but the diving in the whole area should be wonderful!

ParrotheadDiver
10-11-2007, 12:21
I have done the T&C Aggressor out of Provo...as Larry has stated the diving is great walls are awesome...sharks on every dive and a manta on the trip I went on this May....

stayed a couple of days at a hotel on Provo....one word for the Turks and Caicos EXPENSIVE...we stayed at Turtle Cove Inn at the Marina and it was one of the less expensive ones on the island and it was a nice basic hotel...the food was good but expensive....

Provo does not have the island feel to me....everything is new and high end....kind of like being home.... but Provo is a diving island.... I have heard that Grand Turk has more island feel....but it also has the cruise ships....if I go back I think I would like to try Grand Turk...

ScaredSilly
10-12-2007, 09:58
If you want to get a way from it all head to Salt Cay. Great diving - down the wall, up and out, rise and repeat as needed.

vanessar
10-13-2007, 22:16
I took a trip there last year and drove (land based) with Oasis dive op. Stayed at island house and enjoyed both. Diving was very good. The first week of December was nice and un-crowded.

If you stay at Island House they loan you a car as the hotel is not on the beach and right out side town.

Hope you enyoy T&C,

Vanessar

larry200
10-15-2007, 10:32
I took a trip there last year and drove (land based) with Oasis dive op. Stayed at island house and enjoyed both. Diving was very good. The first week of December was nice and un-crowded.

If you stay at Island House they loan you a car as the hotel is not on the beach and right out side town.

Hope you enyoy T&C,

Vanessar

Thanks, Vanessar!

I've read good things about Oasis. It turns out, my wife has already booked us in the Osprey House with a dive package. I don't know if the dive op will be Oasis or Bluewater, but expect to find out today. We'll be on Grand Turk November 29 through December 5th and I will post a trip report afterwards.

-- Larry B.

gibson1525
10-23-2007, 16:01
I've stayed on Grand Turk twice. Stayed at Saltraker the first time and Osprey the second time due to the Saltraker being a little run down. Osprey was a nice hotel, nothing fancy, but clean, cold AC, TV, a pool and a nice restaurant. We dove with Mitch at Bluewater both times. He's a nice guy and great dive guide who isn't shy about sharing his political views:) He plays with his band a few times a week at the Osprey, they put on a pretty good show. I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip. Don't forget some bug spray, they can get annoying!

larry200
10-24-2007, 10:31
I've stayed on Grand Turk twice. Stayed at Saltraker the first time and Osprey the second time due to the Saltraker being a little run down. Osprey was a nice hotel, nothing fancy, but clean, cold AC, TV, a pool and a nice restaurant. We dove with Mitch at Bluewater both times. He's a nice guy and great dive guide who isn't shy about sharing his political views:) He plays with his band a few times a week at the Osprey, they put on a pretty good show. I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip. Don't forget some bug spray, they can get annoying!

Thanks! I was looking at theSaltraker before my wife pre-empted my research. The Osprey House says we're booked with Oasis. Really looking forward to it. I think we've got plenty of bug spray left from our Roatan trip a year ago. Now if I can just find where we put it...

Did you do any shore diving or snorkeling on Grand Turk? Any advice on those activities? Any restaurant advice besides the one at Osprey House?

-- Larry B.

gibson1525
10-24-2007, 15:03
How ironic, I used my left over bug spray from Grand Turk in Roatan!

When we stayed at the saltraker they had these banana pancakes that were great. we didn't make it over for breakfast last time but we did eat lunch there, it was alright. Anna Mae at the Osprey makes the best key lime pie I've ever tasted. We ate it every day and at the end of the week we even talked her into giving us the recipe.

We also ate at the place that is right next door to the osprey a couple of times, I've since forgotten the name but the food was good.

My favorite place was called the Sandbar. It is exactly what the name describes, it's a hut on the beach where you can sit on the deck and watch the waves or the sunset. It is run by an american woman and after eating everywhere else her service seems lightning fast. They have an assortment of local and american foods and their cheese burgers are HUGE and fantastic! Everyday we argued whether to eat here for lunch so we could drink beer on the beach or for dinner to watch the sunset.

We didn't do any shore diving but we would go for an early morning swim/snorkel every day. Oasis picks you up on the beach right out in front of the Osprey so there was always plenty of time to snorkel before they came. There's not much for snorkeling, it's mostly sand. There is a patchy reef if you go far enough out.

On a side note-One of my favorite parts about the trip was that the boat was always anchored in about 15' of water so instead of having to hang out in the open blue for 3-5min, you can cruise around in the coral while getting rid of that nitrogen. It's a nice and interesting way to do a safety stop.

divingmedic
10-24-2007, 15:32
Stay away from Beaches Resort. More so do not dive with them.

gibson1525
10-24-2007, 16:30
ps-give turks head beer a try if you like beer.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/man-laws/2295-beer-whats-your-choice-21.html

larry200
10-25-2007, 10:31
How ironic, I used my left over bug spray from Grand Turk in Roatan!

When we stayed at the saltraker they had these banana pancakes that were great. we didn't make it over for breakfast last time but we did eat lunch there, it was alright. Anna Mae at the Osprey makes the best key lime pie I've ever tasted. We ate it every day and at the end of the week we even talked her into giving us the recipe.

We also ate at the place that is right next door to the osprey a couple of times, I've since forgotten the name but the food was good.

My favorite place was called the Sandbar. It is exactly what the name describes, it's a hut on the beach where you can sit on the deck and watch the waves or the sunset. It is run by an american woman and after eating everywhere else her service seems lightning fast. They have an assortment of local and american foods and their cheese burgers are HUGE and fantastic! Everyday we argued whether to eat here for lunch so we could drink beer on the beach or for dinner to watch the sunset.

We didn't do any shore diving but we would go for an early morning swim/snorkel every day. Oasis picks you up on the beach right out in front of the Osprey so there was always plenty of time to snorkel before they came. There's not much for snorkeling, it's mostly sand. There is a patchy reef if you go far enough out.

On a side note-One of my favorite parts about the trip was that the boat was always anchored in about 15' of water so instead of having to hang out in the open blue for 3-5min, you can cruise around in the coral while getting rid of that nitrogen. It's a nice and interesting way to do a safety stop.

Awesome info! (Appreciate the beer advice, too!)

-- Larry B.

BobArnold8265
10-25-2007, 10:39
I haven't been to the T&Cs yet but asked a similar question about a month ago. Most of the responses that I got thought that a liveaboard was the best way to go. If you're there just to dive, then the liveaboard will take you to more and better sites.

gibson1525
11-03-2007, 15:46
found my trip report- we also ate at michael's atrium, it was pretty good. we heard the Poop Deck was good but we never made it there.

bversteegh
11-03-2007, 23:16
I dove with Oasis several years ago, good dive op (also stayed at island house - small world). One activity we enjoyed - a snorkel trip to a small island for a beach picnic. On the way over, we free dove for conch sp?) (outside the marine reserve); and had fresh conch salad. On the island, we were able to snorkel with stingrays - had a great time.

Chaz
01-05-2008, 16:15
Can you elaborate?