PDA

View Full Version : Travel tips

Scubakraut
10-11-2007, 11:55
USA Airport Travel tips:
Water:
If you're like me and constantly need some fluid every 20-30 min you probably know already by now that traveling from and to the US you'll have a hard time getting a bottle of water through security. (they will confiscate and toss it in the rubbish) Here is my solution I came up with, instead of tossing your water at the airport security.
Take an empty bottle in your carry on. Once you are through security go to a Starbucks, every airport I've seen in the US has one. Starbucks has a water purification machine and you can get a cup of clean fresh water for free from them, then fill it into your empty bottle and you have your water until you board your plane or even throughout your flight, because the little cups of drinks I get are never enough for me.
And you save yourself $2.50 or so.

Your shoes:
Carry some socks with you. When you have to remove your shoes walking through the dirty airport security screener, put some socks on to protect your feet from Athletes foot and other possible diseases and dirt. It is hard to argue with TSA security people they only do what they are told and often don't like using their brain even if you tell them you have athletes foot they still want you to remove your shoes.
If you file a lawsuit afterwards you've gotten a foot disease they do not care because they won't be affected by your damages you sue the TSA for.
Just my 2 cents.

comet24
10-11-2007, 12:01
Some good advice. Although you can just buy a bottle of H2O once your though security. Yes it's a few dollar but less hassle. Also once on the plane they will give you another drink if you ask. Yes, they normally serve drink in very small cups but if you ask for the can I never seen them refuse.

Damselfish
10-11-2007, 12:52
I've actually had a gate agent not allow me to take an empty water bottle on a plane. I had it in the water bottle pocket outside my backpack, if it had been inside they wouldn't have known. Some of them are just really confused.

I usually fill up at a water fountain anyplace where the tap water is fine, not because of the money but because wrapping water in plastic seems like such an environmental waste.

And yeah, I almost always wear socks when traveling - I wouldn't be taking them on and off, just wear them. Much more comfortable on the plane also, to kick off shoes but have socks on.

comet24
10-11-2007, 13:16
This reminds me of flying out of Key West soon after 9/11. I had a bottle of water and was asked what was in it. Guess they where hesitant when I said it was just water. The agent made me take a drink of the water. I guess since I didn't drop right there all was good.

DZorn00
10-11-2007, 14:26
Has anyone had trouble with baby bottles with Breast milk. i had a friend, at no where else but atlanta, have to pour out her babies breast milk because the bottle was too big.

subsur
10-13-2007, 12:43
we're travelling with our little one to bonaire soon and i hope baby milk bottles are ok. they might ask to give it to the baby to make sure it's edible or smell it, but i believe it's one of those items that are allowed on the plane.

Aussie
10-15-2007, 09:03
Another travel tip I have is having your passport and drivers licence and Dive cert cards photo copied and laminated and stored in your dive kit and maybe in your other gear.

Aussie

Scubakraut
10-15-2007, 14:19
I pdf my Passport, dive cards and other ID's and store them on a USB drive I carry on a keychain.

bubba105
10-16-2007, 14:48
I pdf my Passport, dive cards and other ID's and store them on a USB drive I carry on a keychain.

Now that is a great idea. I'm doing that right now. Thanks

CompuDude
10-16-2007, 15:28

Good idea, but be sure to do a simple photocopy also, and keep it separate from the real thing. If you don't have access to a computer (quite often the case, esp in remote areas) you don't be able to access the scanned versions, and a few sheets of paper can save your bacon.

caroln
10-16-2007, 15:46
Good idea, but be sure to do a simple photocopy also, and keep it separate from the real thing. If you don't have access to a computer (quite often the case, esp in remote areas) you don't be able to access the scanned versions, and a few sheets of paper can save your bacon.

This would be easy to add to my log book. Definitely doing this before my next trip, thanks.