PDA

View Full Version : knife in my carry on

Scubakraut
10-11-2007, 12:36
I had a knife (Swiss Army) in my carry on bag on my last trip to Mexico. Needless to say Airport security made me remove it. I walked back to the ticket counter, but my luggage was gone, so I could not check my knife. I spoke to the nice lady from Continental and asked her if she wanted it otherwise I would have to throw it away. She replied she would store it in her locker with my name on it. I gave her my business card and wanted to give her $5 tip for being so nice. She declined and smiled and said you're welcome, glad to help. She asked me when I'd return and I told her a week from now.
So when I returned I walked back there and looked for her to re-claim my swiss Army knife.
She wasn't there, I asked another lady from Continental if she had access to the Ladies locker so I could get my knife back and showed her my ID.
She came back with my knife. I wanted to say thanks to the nice Continental Lady and left my business card with a Thank you written on it and a coffee invitation. Never heard from her again. Still Thank you to Continental Lady staff!!!

comet24
10-11-2007, 13:19
Nice to here positive stories about air travel.

BobArnold8265
10-11-2007, 13:28
That really was nice. Sure wish we'd hear more stories like this one !!!

Defman
10-11-2007, 13:51
I've had great service with Continental too.

I'm mostly a one diver, one bag kinda guy. I know it may cost more to check an extra heavy bag, I don't mind. I went to Roatan last December and had added a hard-case for my camera, the usual heavy bag, and backpack with travel docs, laptop, etc...

I had never heard of an "embargo" before. No bags over 50 pounds, only two checked bags. Luckily for me, I had a ST duffle with me, so I off loaded fins & misc crap from the heavy bag to the duffle. Now you're saying, "You didn't help yourself, now you have three bags!". My plan was to check my heavy & duffle, then take the camera back to the car which would push missing the flight. So I got back in line and explained my plan to the agent, who then proceeded to help me out in the most kind way... Heavy & camera were checked, duffle was my carry-on (fit in overhead), and backpack was my "personal item" (fit under the seat). She got me and all of my junk to Roatan and I was happy.

What ticks me off is that all of my junk combined weighed less than 100 pounds.. I can understand a weight limit, but why not have reasonable bag number limits? Lesson learned though, I'll be a two checked bag diver from now on. Camera case will fit in the dive roller, and everything else will go in a bog honkin' duffle.

datamunk
10-11-2007, 13:55
well, sorta related, i am a contractor for an internet company doing setups of highrise condos in atlanta, west palm, tampaa and orlando. i use my school bookbag to carry my laptop and i stick some tools and cables in it while i work, including screw drivers.

well, i flew to atlanta, spent my time there, flew home, and when i got back to orlando, i realized i had about a 8" phillips head screw driver in my backpack. i made it thru security not once, TWICE, with a big ol screwdriver.

good job hartsfield.

DZorn00
10-11-2007, 14:18
well, sorta related, i am a contractor for an internet company doing setups of highrise condos in atlanta, west palm, tampaa and orlando. i use my school bookbag to carry my laptop and i stick some tools and cables in it while i work, including screw drivers.

well, i flew to atlanta, spent my time there, flew home, and when i got back to orlando, i realized i had about a 8" phillips head screw driver in my backpack. i made it thru security not once, TWICE, with a big ol screwdriver.
good job hartsfield.

Not the smartest bunch at that airport. My daughter flies unaccompanied on Delta and Atlanta is their Hub. They truely are not the sharpest tacks in the box.

webwidejosh
10-11-2007, 15:25
I had a knife (Swiss Army) in my carry on bag on my last trip to Mexico. Needless to say Airport security made me remove it. I walked back to the ticket counter, but my luggage was gone, so I could not check my knife.

I found a knife in my pocket when returning from a business trip while emptying my pockets. I had forgot to take it out of my jeans.

My bags were gone as well so I donated the knife to a police officer. It wasn't expensive, but I didn't want to throw it away to waste it. A good knife is a great tool.

webwidejosh
10-11-2007, 15:28
good job hartsfield.

Not the smartest bunch at that airport. My daughter flies unaccompanied on Delta and Atlanta is their Hub. They truely are not the sharpest tacks in the box.

I have a friend who worked at a small airport pre 9/11. They didn't know much about badges so they would let anyone on the plane with a gun if they had a badge.

I don't find it odd that nothing ever happened, it would be a rarity to find someone with bad intent. Certainly won't be allowed now by any passengers and its as strict as ever. Go figure.

Damselfish
10-11-2007, 15:39
My husband had a dive knife in his carryon leaving Grand Cayman (which I had accidentally thrown in there, long story.) They found it - then let him keep it! Guess since it was blunt tip (though not small) they decided it wasn't threatening? Pre 911 though.

BobbyWombat
10-11-2007, 16:32
Random story loosely related to OP:

When I went diving in the Red Sea we landed at the airport and waited for our bags....and waited....and waited. Lot's of people were waiting.

Turns out that the baggage handlers had decided to go on strike. Eventually they came into the baggage claim area, took over the customer service booth, and proceeded to make lewd announcements over the PA. Not in english, unfortunately, but you could tell the locals because they were laughing (at least the ones not waiting for baggage).

So the plane I just got off of gets loaded with the next group of passengers. They don't get thier luggage loaded (our was still on there), and the plane w/ my checked dive gear flies off to Germany. :smiley7:

I came back three days later (dove using rental gear, thanks for asking) and waded through PILES and PILES of luggage. Found mine safe and sound.

Frustrating at the time, but funny now. At least it is a good travel story.

-BW

ScaredSilly
10-12-2007, 10:04
Some airports will let you buy an envelope and postage so you can mail your illicite goods back to yourself. SLC does that.

However, I have carried knives, lighters, tools on board more than once. Like any business you do not always get the best and brightest.

reservecops
10-12-2007, 12:01
I'm thinking about a trip and the choice for airlines comes down between Continental and AA. I think I'll go with Continental!

Scubakraut
10-15-2007, 14:25
I'm thinking about a trip and the choice for airlines comes down between Continental and AA. I think I'll go with Continental!

Would you donate your miles to me? :smiley20:

josh7284
07-19-2010, 17:11
ha make sure you dont forget the dive knife in carry on. had a buddy accidentally take a mini pistol on

emclean
07-20-2010, 09:38
and don't forget AA is $25 for the first checked bag, $35 for the second, and $100 for more.

we spent hours trying to fit my son's fins into his carry on bag.