PDA

View Full Version : Question about dive safety - Naegleria amoeba

webwidejosh
10-11-2007, 15:05
I'm going to my first open water dive in Florida this month. An experienced SCUBA diver at work suggested I look in to the amoeba that has been in the news.

Any ideas or suggestions for safety? Is this something to be concerned about?

ref:
http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2007/09/12/a-deadly-amoeba-lurks-in-florida/

MEL-DC Diver
10-11-2007, 15:10
Don't aspirate water via your nose and you should be fine. Very few people are affected by this anyway. You've got to have the right conditions for this - the ameoba has to be present and you've got to suck it in. I'd say you're far more likely to be in a car accident on the way to your dive or drowning whilst doing your training.

Enjoy your dives and don't worry about this. But go to the doctor if you have a headache that lasts more than a day. :smiley36:

cudachaser
10-11-2007, 15:18
The amoeba only lives in fresh water lakes or stagnant pools...The springs are to cold for the amoeba and they don't live in salt water.

I will not take my students into fresh water lakes

MEL-DC Diver
10-11-2007, 15:23
I will not take my students into fresh water lakes

Because of the gators?

somewhereinla
10-11-2007, 15:27
Most lakes have potential problems with some kind of contamination. Like it has been suggested keep your mask on if possible... I carry a bottle of listerine with me, after the dive, I will rinse my mouth and drink a little bit of it as well. I will also gently put some in my hear canal with a cotton swab. Listerine is a very good antiseptic - germ/bacteria killer.

ScubaJenn81
10-11-2007, 15:48
I read about this in my local paper (NH) and was honestly blown away. It sounds like a bad science fiction story.

webwidejosh
10-11-2007, 15:55
I read about this in my local paper (NH) and was honestly blown away. It sounds like a bad science fiction story.

Now that is a statement I find even easier to believe than the story. Just figured more experience divers in the area would know better than the news.

fire diver
10-11-2007, 16:21
Enjoy your dives and don't worry about this. But go to the doctor if you have a headache that lasts more than a day. :smiley36:

Actually, by the time you feel any symptoms, you're a dead diver walking.

FD