PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Chevy mechanics onboard?

No Misses
10-11-2007, 15:16
OK, with 2000 members onboard now, I figured I might ask this question of my new friends.
My passenger side power window and power lock stopped working. I checked for voltage at the door post connection and there is 12v and ground (I do not know what wire does what). It is a 2003 Silverado 2500 HD. Does anybody have a suggestion and/or known issue/resolution?

creggur
10-11-2007, 15:40
Need to know....

1) Did the door lock and window stop working at the same time?

2) Do the passenger window and door lock work from the driver side switches?

3) Is it a 4 door truck?

No Misses
10-11-2007, 15:47
Answers
1) I did not notice when the lock stopped working. The window stopped working while under warranty. I took it in. But, it started working when I arrived at the dealer. They found nothing. Now it has stopped again.

2) They do not work from any switch (driver or passenger)

3) It's a 2 door truck.

MSilvia
10-11-2007, 15:53
Try this...
Start the truck and turn on the headlights. While someone is watching the lights, try putting the window down. If the lights dim, you almost certainly have a bad electric motor. The same's true for the window switch... if pressing it causes a big enough voltage load to dim the lights, the part is probably bad.

I don't expect that's the case though, since both failed at the same door. I'd suspect a problem in the door post wiring harness, but it sounds like you checked that and all's well there. The next thing I'd do is take the interior trim panel off the door so you can get access to the wiring at the controls and motors. Check for voltage and ground there, and trace the problem until you narrow down where it's happening.

That's exactly why I opt to get manual locks and windows. "Features" is a euphemism for "Stuff that's likely to break later". :)

No Misses
10-11-2007, 15:56
I did a similar test...With truck turned off - ign key in accy possition - dome light does not dim when power window button is pushed.

I can try it again with the headlights on.

creggur
10-11-2007, 16:02
My partner here at the Audi dealership is a master tech, and owns an 03 Silverado....Let me run it by him and see what your next troubleshooting step will be.....

MSilvia
10-11-2007, 16:18
I did a similar test...With truck turned off - ign key in accy possition - dome light does not dim when power window button is pushed.

I can try it again with the headlights on.
If it didn't dim the interior light, it shouldn't dim the headlights. If you have power at the door, I'm thinking there's got to be a faulty wire or connection inside the door.

mike_s
10-11-2007, 17:21
OK, with 2000 members onboard now, I figured I might ask this question of my new friends.
My passenger side power window and power lock stopped working. I checked for voltage at the door post connection and there is 12v and ground (I do not know what wire does what). It is a 2003 Silverado 2500 HD. Does anybody have a suggestion and/or known issue/resolution?

I had a similar problem with my chevy truck (tahoe). Should use the same power window motor.

It was out of warranty, so I took it to a 20 year chevy dealer mechanic that had just started his own shop. He asked me how often I used the window and being a rear window, I said not much at all....

he said " hmmmm.... let me get my window motor actuator......"

( I thought, what is this... I've never known of a power window motor actuator...)

he returned with a small ball-ping hammer and a couple other tools and took off the door panel. Then he pressed the power window switch/button and tapped the motor with the hammer at the same time.

Window went up like it was brand new.

He said they had this problem all the time at the dealership and were told to replace the motor at $300 plus bucks. In reality, the chevy window motors if not used much the brushes in the motor get tarnished or something and stick. He said taping them with the hammer breaks the sticking away.

he told me to roll them up and down at least every week or two and I'd be fine. I haven't had a problem since.

He saved me $300 bucks on the cost of them replacing the motor. His total charge was $10 bucks. I was pretty darn happy.

WV Diver
10-11-2007, 18:28
When you said mechanic, I thought you meant mechanic. :smiley36: :smilie39:

Sorry I know nothing about windows. How does it run?? :smiley36:

Sounds like creggur has you fixed up though.

mitsuguy
10-13-2007, 12:57
I can get you wiring diagrams and some troubleshooting tips if you are still having issue with this...

No Misses
10-13-2007, 14:44
Symptoms:
1. Passenger window (power) will not go up or down with either the driver control or the passenger control.
2. The Passenger side door lock (power) does not work with any buttons or remotes.
3. The Passenger side courtesy light does not iluminatte when dome light is on (it should). Also ther is no +DC voltage at the lamp socket. I do see ground continuity on the blue wire.
4. When you open the passenger door, the dome light does not come on.
5. When you attempt to operate the window control, there is zero current draw from the battery.

Here is what I con see ref the wiring harness.
The wiring harness that goes into the passenger door has 2 connectors, one black and one white.

Black Connector
One heavy Black wire ~16AWG, It has continuity to chassis ground.
Two dark green and Two light green, these appear to be the stereo speaker wires for the passenger door speaker. I see AC voltage when stereo is on. when I unplug it the door speaker stops working.

White connector
One Heavy Orange wire ~16 AWG, it has +12vdc
One small blue wire ?
one small orange wire. It has +12vdc on it.
One tan wire ?

What I don't know is what the pin out of these connectors should be. I would suspect that I need at least 2 wires for the window control (1 for up and 1 for down). The same should hold true for the door lock 1 up and 1 down. Then there is the courtesy light and Door open switch and 2 wires for the speaker.

I will do some more tests while pushing the driver side buttons.

It just seems strange that everything on the door stopped working.

P.S. the truck only has 12k miles on it.

mitsuguy
10-13-2007, 14:52
If you give me your e-mail address, I will e-mail you wiring diagrams for the above...

mitsuguy
10-13-2007, 14:53
oh, and I need to know if it is the base model or one of the up levels... evidently there is different wiring diagrams for the different models...

Scubastud16
10-13-2007, 15:02
Darn Chevy's! Cheap.Hunk.Every.Valve.Rattles.Oil.Leaks.Every.Tim e. :D

Buy Ford, and beat up on Chevy's for the rest of your life!

No Misses
10-13-2007, 16:05
Mitsuguy, thank you for all of the help. It looks like I need a new logic control module. Bummer:-(

mitsuguy
10-13-2007, 16:10
Mitsuguy, thank you for all of the help. It looks like I need a new logic control module. Bummer:-(

from your symptoms, I was leaning the same way, but I hate guessing over the internet without ever touching the vehicle... :)