PDA

View Full Version : disposables

fog
10-11-2007, 19:50
I can't afford a good camera right now and just wanted to grab something cheap to take on vacation for a couple of dives. Does anyone know if the cheapo "underwater cameras will work at about 50 ft?

Geekybiker
10-12-2007, 16:36
I had a cheapo reusable underwater 35mm camera before I got my digital housing. It didnt even work one dive. The spring on the shutter wasn't strong enough to push the button back up below about 40-50 FSW. Combine that with not knowing if you got the shot until weeks later, and being limited to 36 exposures a dive..... Well it just sucked. Not a experience I'd reccomend. I'd just forgo the cheap 35mm and the disposables and save your money for a housing when you can. These days you can get a okay housing AND camera for $300ish.

RoadRacer1978
10-12-2007, 17:02
Thats the understaing I have. Haven't used one personally underwater, but the people I have talked to were generally against them. Said they are not worth the money. And as cheap as they are that's not good. I have used some cheap disposables on land and my pictures were very dark unless I was in an area that was really, really well lit. Underwater I know that it would be even worse. And if you tried to use the built in flash, you'll have a great picture of backscatter. I wish they were better, but to get even decent pics, you're gonna have to spend some money. You might check with the dive operation and see if they rent digital cameras. Some places do. If tehy don't. check with some LDS' in your area and see if you can rent one for the trip.

subsur
10-12-2007, 18:36
disposable cameras whether on land or underwater are... disposable. the only convenience of having them is the cheap price but the quality suffers tremendously. to be honest I haven't used any U/W disposable but i've used plenty of film and digital cameras on land including disposable ones. when you say "i can't afford good camera" what exactly do you mean by good camera - dSLR or point and shoot? if former, then you can get decent p&s camera for 200 and housing for 200 (cheapest oly for example), so for 400 you can have decent set-up to take pictures in a well lit environment and since you're going to Caribbean, the vis should be quite nice.

fog
10-12-2007, 21:34
After doing some looking around since I posted this originally, I already have a couple of pretty decent digitals and I will probably think about an Ikelite housing for one of them. Sounds like a good thing to put on a Christmas list.

mona
01-20-2008, 21:57
Well, these posts answer my question...I bought an U/W disposable camera to take along on my OW check out dives but didn't end up using it. I was going to take it with me on my trip south and wondered if I should pick up some more - sounds like I'm better off not wasting my money.
I'm ordering a digital camera this week; just a relatively inexpensive Fuji; I think you can get a waterproof case for it - didn't really think about it before but I guess that is the way to go! (For some reason I guess I just had it in my mind I'd have to invest in something else/something "special" for U/W photography)

whse56
01-20-2008, 22:41
Last summer I bought a Sony DSC-W80 and a Sony underwater case good to 140ft and the red lens filter. Probably got about $350 total into it, it takes pretty good pictures, if you have enough light (clear water). Haven't found anyway to hook strobes up to it, don't know if it's possible.

Kirwan
02-08-2008, 18:48
It's pretty simple. Disposable cameras take disposable pictures.

I've run some film through my 25 year old Hanimex lately, but am looking to upgrade to digital too.

ScubaToys Larry
02-08-2008, 18:52
It's pretty hard to beat a 6 megapixel digital for under 200 bucks. SeaLife ECOshot 6mp Digital Camera SL-321, Underwater Cameras, SeaLife, SeaLife ECOshot 6mp Digital Camera SL-321 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaLifeECOshotDigitalCamera)

By the time you buy a half a dozen disposables at 15 bucks then get them developed and printed... you'll probably save money with the digital! And get much better results, and be able to check out your shots every night on the TV after you get done diving.

KGNickl
02-10-2008, 19:23
It's pretty hard to beat a 6 megapixel digital for under 200 bucks. SeaLife ECOshot 6mp Digital Camera SL-321, Underwater Cameras, SeaLife, SeaLife ECOshot 6mp Digital Camera SL-321 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaLifeECOshotDigitalCamera)

By the time you buy a half a dozen disposables at 15 bucks then get them developed and printed... you'll probably save money with the digital! And get much better results, and be able to check out your shots every night on the TV after you get done diving.

I've been considering that camera or the SL-320 (rated for deeper). I just wonder if for I occasionally take the SL-321 camera to 100 ft if it will cause problems or the company would know and void the warranty. 99% of the time I would be good w/ 75 ft., but for the 100ft dives I would like a camera.

DevilDiver
02-27-2008, 10:11

I've been considering that camera or the SL-320 (rated for deeper). I just wonder if for I occasionally take the SL-321 camera to 100 ft if it will cause problems or the company would know and void the warranty. 99% of the time I would be good w/ 75 ft., but for the 100ft dives I would like a camera.

For the extra $50 look at the (ReefMaster Mini Camera SL-320 6mp Digital) from ST. Good camera for the investment...

You will need to look at Strobes if shooting at depth for color. Adjusting W/B or using underwater mode helps but will not fix at depth. These can alway be added later to spread out the cost.

CaptainRon
02-28-2008, 11:38

I went with the SL-321. What's nice is you can even take videos with sound. I thought the picture quality was great. Has white balance adjustment and a sea mode that helps bring out some of the color.