PDA

View Full Version : rash guard

coralcrazed
10-12-2007, 08:42
what do I look for when purchasing a rash guard? is there one brand more preferable than another? I wear mostly a shorty on vacation so I am looking for a rash guard for mostly sun protection. Added insulation is a plus... thanks for all of your help.

BobArnold8265
10-12-2007, 09:48
My wife and I both have dive skins which we wear in really warm water. They do a good job of protecting you from the sun but don't really add much insulation. They are also useful in colder water dives by making it easier to get on a tight 5 or 7 mil suit.

Aussie
10-13-2007, 07:12
I have a sharkskin which I use for both warm and cold water diving. I use just it and board shorts in warm water and under my 7/5mm for the cold water. I think its the best thing since sliced bread.

Aussie

Flatliner
10-13-2007, 07:54
Not to sound like the cheapskate that I am, but I bought mine because it was the one on sale at the shop while I was on vacation. Truth be told I don't think there is much difference from one to another.

dludwig
10-13-2007, 08:13
I don't know if there's any difference in one or another...lycra is lycra. I love my TILOS jumpsuit because I can slide in & out of my 7mm w/ much more ease. The downside is that I look like someone from the cast of The Bladerunner

Aussie
10-13-2007, 09:39
Well there is a few differences in rashies. Some are Titianium lined and some like my sharkskin are fleecy lined. Titianium ones keep you warm and sometimes get too hot if you sit in the sun too long. The Titianium lining comes off after about a year of hard use. The fleecy lined sharkskin I use is going great guns after a years hard use.

http://www.probedive.com/thermocore/index.html

http://www.probedive.com/insulator/index.html

Aussie

Scubastud16
10-13-2007, 14:47
The only thing to look for really is quality. Any of the big surf companies won't let you down. I use an O'neil for warm water duty.

gibson1525
10-29-2007, 10:04
The only thing to look for really is quality. Any of the big surf companies won't let you down. I use an O'neil for warm water duty.

i agree, i love oneill products. great quality. if you're looking for some added insulation try the gooru tops. i have the long sleeve gooru and love it. you can dive with just it in warmer water and i'm taking it to the bahamas this christmas for the colder temps. they are a little pricey but they will last forever and you can get them cheaper this time of the year as shops are trying to move their inventory for next years models.

redneckdiver52
10-29-2007, 10:12
I agree with Flatliner, I just bought the cheapest one I could get because I was diving in Guam and my BC was rubbing a little too much. I have a Mares rash guard and it works great even now when I dive in colder water I wear it under my wetsuit, just makes it a little easier to get in and out of the wetsuit.

Puffer Fish
10-29-2007, 10:43

i agree, i love oneill products. great quality. if you're looking for some added insulation try the gooru tops. i have the long sleeve gooru and love it. you can dive with just it in warmer water and i'm taking it to the bahamas this christmas for the colder temps. they are a little pricey but they will last forever and you can get them cheaper this time of the year as shops are trying to move their inventory for next years models.

I am in the Oneal camp also, although I do have a Henderson skin...but I own 4 O'neal suits.. and like each one... My favorite 3mm is actually an O'neal surf suit...love the sealed seams and the fit.

Note: I also own a 'few" more suits, including Pinnacle, Akona and Oceanic.