PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a wetsuit

hychang
10-12-2007, 09:00
I've asked this elsewhere in the forum, but this is probably the more appropriate place. As a new diver who'll probably do more quarry/lake diving given that I live in Northern Va. (just outside of D.C.) What wetsuit would folks here recommend? Basically, what has the best combination of ease of entry and warmth? Thanks everyone.

BobArnold8265
10-12-2007, 10:04
Hi,

I'm in Richmond so am pretty near by. Most lakes and quarries in Virginia are rather cool. Especially if you go below the thermocline. Personally, I would dive in anything less than a 5 mil. If you get cold easily or plan to do several dives in a day, you probably should consider a 7 mil. I usually dive in a 7 mil when at the local quarry here and am pretty comfortable.
Also, for me, gloves and a hood are musts in lakes and quarries. Hope this help.

As for specific brands of wetsuits, if you're going to a 5 or 7mil you might want to consider one that's pretty stretchy. Henderson or Pinnacle would be two good choices to consider. Hope this helps.

Bob

Steve Scuba
10-12-2007, 10:24
I'll second that motion on the strechiness. Stretchy 5 and 7 mil suits are a godsend. I tried to put on a 5-mil vest-hood combo that was just a little too small for me, and wasn't stretchy. I actually thought I was going to die getting it off. I didn't think I needed a dive buddy to try on wetsuits!:smiley5:

Fortunately my wife was there, and we both had a good laugh at my expense.

hychang
10-12-2007, 10:47
I'm leaning towards getting a 7mil for the very reasons mentioned. I noticed that ST sells a Henderson 7/5 suit. Will that work? Does ST sell the Henderson 7mil? Thanks.

ScubaToys Larry
10-12-2007, 10:54
Yes, we also have the full 7 - really no difference in price or fit, just the 7/5 made it a little easier to bend your arms. But since the hyperstretch material is so stretchy - they decided it was a non-issue and are phasing out the 7/5 - so if you want one... get it before we run out of your size! But no problem on the all 7's - just got a ton of them.

subsur
10-12-2007, 10:56
depends on your body type. if you are overweighted somewhat then stretchy wetsuits should give you a better fit (Henderson is the most popular although in recent times other brands introduced stretchy models). non-stretchy wetsuit, or should i say less stretchy, will last you longer assuming everything else is equal and will give you a bit better protection but if you get a great fit in a stretchy suit, then go with it.

hychang
10-12-2007, 11:09
Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm on the heavier side (I'd like to think from working out with weights, but that's not the case according to my wife!!)

Larry, great to hear that you carry the 7mil. I'll probably be in touch before you close.:smiley20:

Scubastud16
10-12-2007, 17:28
Go with the 7 or 7/5, hopefully a Hendy suit. I can't even begin to explain how comfortable and easy they are to get on and off.

hychang
10-13-2007, 16:19
Thanks to all who've imparted their wisdom on me. I've pulled the trigger and bought a Henderson 7mil Hyperstretch from ST. Not only that, but I figured why not get my BC as well. So...added the Brigade BC. Really looking forward to getting wet with these!!

ScubaToys Larry
10-13-2007, 18:11
Thank you for your business! I was in the shop almost all day, so sorry I missed your call, but I'm glad we were able to take care of you! You did tell them you were a board member for the extra discount right??

Enjoy your new stuff and make sure to post up with a review after you get to dive the suit and the BC!

hychang
10-14-2007, 08:36
Larry:

I'm sorry that I didn't get to speak with you as well. Your folks, Wayne and Joe, took really good care of me. You have great folks at the shop who take the time and have the patience to deal with newbies like myself. Yes thanks, I did get the discount along with really good advice. I visited ST thanks to a UPS driver I met and with whom chatted at a dive shop in Santa Clara, CA. He sang your praises and told me about the Zeagle Brigade BC. Your customers are your best reference as I'm sure you're aware judging by the folks here. Keep up the great work!! I'll be a returning customer. Thanks again.