PDA

View Full Version : Hand signals and counting

fog
10-12-2007, 11:00
It seems that everyone I have dove with has different "prefered" methods of counting using hand signals. Some divers use both hand ie; to show 1900 psi, hold up one finger, then 9 fingers, others count by "5's" with one hand, 5 fingers, 5 fingers,5 fingers, then 4 fingers.
Is there a proper way to show numbers?

scubasavvy
10-12-2007, 11:09
It seems that everyone I have dove with has different "prefered" methods of counting using hand signals. Some divers use both hand ie; to show 1900 psi, hold up one finger, then 9 fingers, others count by "5's" with one hand, 5 fingers, 5 fingers,5 fingers, then 4 fingers.

Yeap, signal them to come closer and show them your gauges...:smilie39:

subsur
10-12-2007, 11:58
(1) agree on a system at the surface;
(2) what scubasavvy said, always works

My SPG is in bars so it's often a pain to communicate with a person using PSI, so (2) works like a charm.

mike_s
10-12-2007, 12:44

You should do whatever works for you and your dive buddies.

just go over it before the dive and make sure everyone understand during the dive pre-brief.

Figure out what works best for you, but learn to reconize both methods.

For example, if someone gives a 1900psi at a FIVE-FIVE-FIVE-Four, know they are giving in fives.

If they give it as ONE-NINE-Zero-zero, then you'll know it was the other way. Typically a 'zero' is a closed fist.

about the only time you might have a question starting witha FIVE is at 500psi. Then a FIVE by itself would represent it or a FIVE-ZERO-ZERO.

either way you are good.

DevilDiver
10-12-2007, 13:12
I found this to be a great book. Lots of comon signs and how to put them together for comunication.:smiley20:

@ Amazon.com

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/2116WQBEPSL._PIsitb-dp-arrow,TopRight,21,-23_SH30_OU01_AA115_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Divers-Sign-Language-Manual/dp/0941332381/ref=sr_1_5/105-6836275-4582868?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192212733&sr=1-5)Scuba Divers Sign Language Manual (http://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Divers-Sign-Language-Manual/dp/0941332381/ref=sr_1_5/105-6836275-4582868?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192212733&sr=1-5) by James P. Smith and Lee Ann Smith (Spiral-bound - Dec 1994)Buy new (http://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Divers-Sign-Language-Manual/dp/0941332381/ref=sr_1_5/105-6836275-4582868?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192212733&sr=1-5): $14.95 4 Used & new (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0941332381/ref=sr_1_olp_5/105-6836275-4582868?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192212733&sr=1-5) from $14.50Get it by Monday, Oct 15 if you order in the next 2 minutes and choose one-day shipping.Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/common/customer-reviews/stars-4-0._V47081936_.gif

RoadRacer1978
10-12-2007, 13:23
Heres a site that shows the technique alot of people I have met use.

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com/FreePDFs/Onehandnumbering.pdf

lovesmexico615
10-12-2007, 14:11
I've been seeing "thousands" shown on the arm, and "hundreds" in fingers. That said, 2400PSI would be two fingers held against the forearm, THEN four fingers held up to your buddy.

UCFKnightDiver
10-12-2007, 16:25
I like that number system roadracer it seems pretty simple

Scubastud16
10-12-2007, 17:47
I've been seeing "thousands" shown on the arm, and "hundreds" in fingers. That said, 2400PSI would be two fingers held against the forearm, THEN four fingers held up to your buddy.

This is the system I use!

Boris42
10-12-2007, 18:37

That's the system cshel and I use. A trainer at our LDS is a tech diver and taught cshel the system while I was getting qualified.

cshel
10-12-2007, 18:37
I was taught the one hand method and showed Boris. It is important to discuss the signals BEFORE you go down with someone new and a refresher each time..

webwidejosh
10-12-2007, 19:26
I was taught some official sign-language way. Apparently 1-5 are with your fingers out and 6-0 are with your fingers touching your thumb.

I can never remember though if 6 is pinky and thumb or index and thumb... (guess that way is out)

dludwig
10-12-2007, 19:36
RoadRacer's numbering system looks simple & easy to remember. I like it :smiley20:

cshel
10-12-2007, 19:38
That way is hard to communicate underwater with gloves. The guy who taught me the one hand way has a deaf sister. He used sign language for a bit but found that most people didn't understand it.

cshel
10-12-2007, 19:39
I was taught some official sign-language way. Apparently 1-5 are with your fingers out and 6-0 are with your fingers touching your thumb.

I can never remember though if 6 is pinky and thumb or index and thumb... (guess that way is out)

I was refering to this post - someone snuck in with another post... sorry Should have quoted the first time around.

DevilDiver
10-12-2007, 20:36

Thumb to Pinky is 6.

texdiveguy
10-12-2007, 21:40

This is the system I use.

WaScubaDude
10-12-2007, 23:59
I saw the system in Advance diver and liked it, but just worked out a better system with my DB.
You use just one hand.
Thousands are shown with the hand pointed sideways. either 1,2, or 3 fingers. Hundreds are shown with hand up, either one flash or two. just add the two "up flashes" as in 1 finger sideways, five up, plus 3 up = 1800psi. I like the system because if you see no sideways fingers you know your DB is under 1,000 and need to pay special attention, likely time to start up.

What do you think?

The AD system would be great if you needed to communicate numbers other than PSI remaining. I think my simpler system is better for air.

Scubastud16
10-13-2007, 01:43
I saw the system in Advance diver and liked it, but just worked out a better system with my DB.
You use just one hand.
Thousands are shown with the hand pointed sideways. either 1,2, or 3 fingers. Hundreds are shown with hand up, either one flash or two. just add the two "up flashes" as in 1 finger sideways, five up, plus 3 up = 1800psi. I like the system because if you see no sideways fingers you know your DB is under 1,000 and need to pay special attention, likely time to start up.

What do you think?

The AD system would be great if you needed to communicate numbers other than PSI remaining. I think my simpler system is better for air.

This is similar to the "fingers on wrist" for the 1000's of psi. I like having the fingers on the wrist for absolute certainty about what my buddy/I are saying. I feel like the sideways/right side up might get confusing or the lines between the two might be blurred if it is done in a hurry.

fog
10-17-2007, 20:59
Thanks for all the responses, the underlying message is work it out with your DB on the surface and then go with it. I personally think I like the thousands on your arm.

Splitlip
10-21-2007, 19:56

Yep .
that's it. Pretty much a no brainer.

Defman
10-22-2007, 08:06

That wasn't the system I was taught, but I picked it up in Dominican Republic shortly after and liked it. I think I was taught "knocks" for the thousands and fingers for the hundreds.

coldincanada
10-22-2007, 08:58
signals are nuts....what works for one does not work for others.
in canada we have 5 mm gloves making it even harder to signal.
i found just making a point of talking about it the odd time adds new easier signals for everyone.
also get a tank banger or signaler as these are get if you low on air easy to signal not counting on your dive buddy to be watching you like a hawk.

Doug B
10-22-2007, 20:43
Is it REALLY all that important when you're signalling to (or from) your buddy that there is 1400psi in the tank? Why not just round a little up to 1500 pounds and flash a quick 1-5?

The whole point, IMO, is to force yourself and your buddy to check your air supply once in a while, not to give precision answers.

I normally signal:

two fingers, then five = 2500ish
two fingers only = 2000ish
one finger, then five = 1500ish
one finger only = 1000ish
five fingers = 500ish...
thumbs up = less than 500....lets go up !

When my mental clock goes off during the dive, and I ask my buddy what his pressure is. He tells me he's got 2100 pounds with: two fingers, then one. OK, I understand. I look at my gage, and I have 1961psi (digital gage) for example, but I give him two fingers for 2000 lbs. We both 'ok' each other and swim on.

He knows I've got about 2000 pounds. The point is we've both taken a few seconds to look at our air supply, and we know 'about' how much each other has.

That being said... I do like the idea I saw above about "knocks" for thousands and "fingers" for hundreds. I imagine knocking my fists together (vertically like holding a baseball bat) and then flashing fingers. But.... flashing 9 fingers at my buddy for 900 psi when I'm holding a camera or a light isn't always conveinient.

coldincanada
11-02-2007, 10:29
wow ty for all the info

WaScubaDude
11-02-2007, 12:26
Is it REALLY all that important when you're signalling to (or from) your buddy that there is 1400psi in the tank? Why not just round a little up to 1500 pounds and flash a quick 1-5?

The whole point, IMO, is to force yourself and your buddy to check your air supply once in a while, not to give precision answers.

I normally signal:

two fingers, then five = 2500ish
two fingers only = 2000ish
one finger, then five = 1500ish
one finger only = 1000ish
five fingers = 500ish...
thumbs up = less than 500....lets go up !

When my mental clock goes off during the dive, and I ask my buddy what his pressure is. He tells me he's got 2100 pounds with: two fingers, then one. OK, I understand. I look at my gage, and I have 1961psi (digital gage) for example, but I give him two fingers for 2000 lbs. We both 'ok' each other and swim on.

He knows I've got about 2000 pounds. The point is we've both taken a few seconds to look at our air supply, and we know 'about' how much each other has.

That being said... I do like the idea I saw above about "knocks" for thousands and "fingers" for hundreds. I imagine knocking my fists together (vertically like holding a baseball bat) and then flashing fingers. But.... flashing 9 fingers at my buddy for 900 psi when I'm holding a camera or a light isn't always conveinient.

In thinking about this entire topic I think I can ad to the bigger picture.

Before you start the dive:

1) Agree on a "hard" turn PSI, who ever hits it first turns the dive. Hand signal: spinning finger pointed up.

2) Agree on a "hard" assend to the surface PSI. Hand signal: thumb up, or thumb up with the other hand flat over the thumb, to show up to the safety stop depth.

Figure out a cost for a diver who violates the agreement. Could be anything from; you hump all the gear back to the truck and buy the beers....to we wont dive together again. At any rate the "hard" agreements needs to be understood and adheard to.

I figured out a one handed way to have my DBs check their air. With one finger up, rotate it slowly from the left to the right (like the needle on a guage) If we have taken care of #1 & 2 above then I can let my DB worry about his own air consumption for the most part.

In cold water with 5mm gloves on I have found the thousands pointed sideways with one, two, or three fingers, and hundreds with fingers up, one flash or two and adding it up works great. Again, if we took care of the pre-dive agreements I don't have to know my DBs PSI down to the Nth.

BobbyWombat
11-02-2007, 15:45

I like this methodology and use it when my buddy is comfortable with it. I like the spooky skeleton hand from the link too.....creepy.