PDA

View Full Version : Undercurrent mag?

JugglingMonkeys
10-12-2007, 14:42
What is your opinion of Undercurrent magazine - either print or online?

Defman
10-12-2007, 15:27
Too expensive....

cummings66
10-12-2007, 16:43
Online is worthless, they claim it will be updated within a certain timeline after the print version goes out. It doesn't get updated and frequently is months behind the schedule they have for it being updated. IE website reflects a certain months magazine.

I enjoyed it, but not enough to deal with the BS.

cutter77
10-12-2007, 16:51
Online is worthless, they claim it will be updated within a certain timeline after the print version goes out. It doesn't get updated and frequently is months behind the schedule they have for it being updated. IE website reflects a certain months magazine.

I enjoyed it, but not enough to deal with the BS.

It does seem to have a lot of "lag" and it's not cheap.
Didn't renew my subscription.

RoadRacer1978
10-12-2007, 16:58
No idea. This is the first I have heard of the mag. I'll have to check it out just for fun now. Any free articles. I like free :)

DevilDiver
10-12-2007, 17:19
I have always enjoyed Undercurrent. It is expensive but they do not advertise dive resorts or dive gear so they are not influenced by the marketing $$ like some other magazines.

They are non-profit and the reviews of locations and equipment seem to be un-biased. Also they report on faulty gear, recalls, diving accidents and short falls in dive locations that seem to get left out of the flashy big time dive mags.

It is expensive but I feel I get honesty for the couple of extra bucks I spend... and I do use the Chapbook for reviews of travel destinations and dive operators.

As for the web version, I haven't used it much in the past, but a couple of months ago access to their web site is free to subscribers.

subsur
10-12-2007, 17:28
i used to subscribe it for a while (paper version). i liked it a lot - good articles and no ads. but the price is too high for me so i cancelled. if money is not an issue i'd recommend it to others as it's one of the best diving magazines

meesier42
10-12-2007, 17:52
its a little expensive, but I find their reviews to be much more relavant and indepth compared to ScubaLab. Since they don't have a ScubaLab of their own, they pull information from multiple sources. I think they get most of the technical reviews from a testing lab in England. I am not completely sure about the travel reviews as they are reader submitted and everyone had their quirks about what they like and dislike. But I do pay for it and think its worth every penny.

CaribbeanDiver
10-12-2007, 20:05
I subscribed last year and didnt renew. I thought it was a tad expensive last year when I paid $33 but the renewal was $55 and that definitely is not worth it.

WestTnDiver
10-12-2007, 21:29
If you don't always go to the same location, stay in the same hotel, and dive with the same op and/or you take a lot of vacations, the chapbook is worth the money. It's true everyone has different views, but when you read the same type review year after year or by several different people
the pattern can help you decide to stay away or take a chance. We try to take at least one vacation to somewhere new every year and its been a big help in picking ops and resorts/boats.

BobArnold8265
10-12-2007, 21:32
I tried Undercurrent for a year. It was OK but mostly opinions from individual divers. On the one hand that's not a bad idea, on the other hand there was never a conclusion. What I mean is that they would ask people about a dive resort. 1/2 the people would say the food was excellent and 1/2 the people would say the food was awful. I could never get a strong feeling about anything that they reviewed. At least with a professional review, you get a consistent point of view.

Desert_Diver
10-12-2007, 22:29
I have subscribed to Undercurrent for several years. They have their good points and their bad points.

I find the information in the chap book and the monthly trip reports to be of value to me. True, the reports don't all agree but I wouldn't expect them to. And some of the reporters for Undercurrent post on this board.

I do think that Ben Davidson (sp?) can get a little preachy and holier than thou, but by and large I think he makes some valid points. And he does dig out details that other dive reporters don't take the time to research.

I find Doc Vikingo's (sp?) medical stories to be quite helpful.

Undercurrent isn't my favorite dive magazine (that would probably be Dive Training) but it is the one I consult when making up my mind about my next big dive trip.

Art

caroln
10-15-2007, 11:56
I enjoy undercurrent a lot. It's a thin little magazine, but pretty much everything in there is good reading. I have found a couple of destinations that I'd never have even thought to go to through undercurrent. I got my renewal notice recently, and the price is going up, so I'm seriously considering whether to renew. It is a good magazine, but a magazine also has only a certain value to me, and I think the new higher price may be over that value.

h2odragon1
10-15-2007, 12:08
Great Mag.!
I've been a suscriber for years, and find the articles good. They also provide consumer updates on recalls, and even some of their earlier warning's, (ie warning about an unscrupulous dive opperator who had fled to another country and opened another shop). The articles are written by the subscribers, and their reviews of resorts, and dive area's/operations.
I'd rather have another diver tell me about a dive operation that a magazine writing about that area with a half page add for that area on the next page.
Expensive? a little!, but they don't take advertising $$. nor are their articles corupted be those $$. They will denounce an area if it warrants it.:smiley20::smiley20:

JugglingMonkeys
10-15-2007, 12:10
They just uploaded the October issue to their website, so apparently they're doing better with this now than before...

cummings66
10-15-2007, 12:24
That's good to hear. I quit them because of how horrible it was. I feel I was ripped off completely.

TxScubaBear
10-15-2007, 12:46
Sounds like the "Consumer Reports" of diving...I got a flyer in the mail the other day wanting me to subscribe, no idea what it was so in the shredder it went......well now I know

cummings66
10-15-2007, 16:57
I will say that I thought it was as good as any other scuba mag outside of wreck diving, in other words I think wreck diving is the best. The others are fun to read and occupy time but they get tossed in the trash when done.

I think for the price and the promises they made about the online version, that there should have been a better attempt made to keep those promises. It was cheaper back then to sub electronic only, the premise being it'd be later than the print version but not 6 months or more behind. They made you think you'd be getting each issue only it'd be delayed. I never saw more than a couple updates in the year I subscribed, pretty much a waste of money. IMO unless they made good on the broken promises I'll never subscribe again. They owe me.

As far as I know he's not a member of this forum, but I wish he were because he'd know how I feel and maybe get an answer as to why his company did what they did.

Again, I did read what little they gave me, and I enjoyed it as much as I do most diver magazines. However, it is not worth anything close to what they want now.

Desert_Diver
10-15-2007, 20:08
As far as I know he's not a member of this forum, but I wish he were because he'd know how I feel and maybe get an answer as to why his company did what they did.

The editor is Ben Davison. You can email him at
BenDavison@undercurrent.org

He has always answered my e-mails.

Art