PDA

View Full Version : Dizziness on Ascent

RikRaeder
10-12-2007, 21:16
I've never been bothered by vertigo or dizziness while diving, but had a recent experience I was hoping someone could shed some light on. I have reasonably good balance, healthy ears, and fine hearing. Nothing wrong with the ears (maybe with what's BETWEEN them). On three or four dives during my last trip, I experienced a brief (five or six seconds) spell of light dizziness while gradually moving up from around 20ish meters to the teen mark. I floated, relaxed, and breathed for a few seconds and was fine. It didn't happen on every dive, and has never happened before. Any ideas?
Thanks

fire diver
10-12-2007, 21:37
Yep, you had vertigo. I've had it hit me once, but I had it worse. In both our cases, it's been caused by un-equal pressures on the inner ears. One ear obviously wasn't equalizing quite as fast as the other.

It comes on without warning, and will go away just as fast. You just need to stop for a few seconds.

Oddly, those are the same rough depths I got hit at. Maybe there's something about the pressure change from those levels. BTW- I was making a very slow ascent when I got hit, so it wasn't from careless ascents.

FD

ScubaToys Larry
10-12-2007, 21:37
I've had that happen to me now and then... even sometimes in our pool going from the 12' to the 4'. I'm not a doctor... but I have stayed.. http://images3.ichotelsgroup.com/cq/content/dec/ex/1/en/fphome.LogoPar.Single.LogoImage.gif

And I blamed it on a slight imbalance of pressure between the two ears... one equalized a bit faster than the other - and tosses everything off. As soon as the other catches up... bingo - dizziness goes away.

scubamike
10-13-2007, 00:46
That happens to me about twice for every 100 dives. It's really stressing I thought I reached my NDL as my Suunto was complaining about it the last time I got that...

But I am all ok.

RikRaeder
10-13-2007, 03:42
Hmmm. The gallery seems to agree. Makes sense. It was a curious thing to be sure but I never felt threatened by it. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one. Perhaps a bit of eustacian opening and vasalving wouldn't hurt next time it hits me?