PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your computer off the ground?

WaScubaDude
10-13-2007, 01:03
I have a nice UWTEC ScubaPro computer and when I am setting up my rig pre dive, it hits the ground, pavement, concrete walkway etc. I bought a ST retractor but the thing is huge and long enough that my comp still hits. The one way I see to stop it is to clip it across the chest to the right side chest D ring (ranger BC). Anyone have a great solution?
Thanks!

Scubastud16
10-13-2007, 01:35
I had similar issues. My Pro Plus 2 (oceanic) is so heavy, it actually pulls spool out of the retractor out of the water.

My solution was to put a split SS ring on one side, and attaching a one-sided "boat" clip to that split ring (the solid side). I then have the club to put on a D ring on my BC. I can get it off quickly, I can see it pretty well w/o undoing the clip, I can take it off for navigation/reading time on safety stops, and it stays up high in/out of the water.

robanna
10-13-2007, 08:14
Clip it off to the left chest d-ring. most will tell you not to go to the right d-ring because then you'll have trouble getting your bc off in an emergency.

You'll find that if it just the right length, you won't need to unclip it most of the time.

ianr33
10-13-2007, 08:30
Put it on your wrist. Problem solved !

Venio
10-13-2007, 08:48
Put it on your wrist. Problem solved !

Another vote for the wrist.

Charles R
10-13-2007, 09:20
I wear mine on my wrist so no issues with it hitting the ground!

DivingsInMyBlood
10-13-2007, 09:27
i clip mine on a retractor on my left shoulder d-ring and it seems to stay around my hip area when im out the water on my feet.

h2odragon1
10-13-2007, 09:38
Wrist mount! Mine won't hit the ground until I've had one too many.

Flatliner
10-13-2007, 09:42
I have a retractor on my right side next to my weight pouch. I then put a cheap carribiner on the computer so that I can clip it wherever I need it at the time. Pre-dive I clip it on the left sholder, Peri-dive I clip it on to the retractor. That way, it stays off the ground but it is where I need it during the dive.

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have got the Cobra, I would have went with something that was wrist mount.

Aussie
10-13-2007, 10:02
Another wrist mount answert here.

Aussie

ScubaToys Larry
10-13-2007, 10:11
I much prefer the console to wrist myself. I'm not sure which retractor you got, but if it's one that has a clip - and you've clipped it off, with the length of the clip, the retractor, and the line going to the computer - there can be a lot of swing there. The larger retractors also come with a backing plate and some stainless screws. I screw mine onto the strap instead of clipping on the D-ring, and that removes about 4-5 inches of play. You might give that a shot.

WaScubaDude
10-13-2007, 12:18
I much prefer the console to wrist myself. I'm not sure which retractor you got, but if it's one that has a clip - and you've clipped it off, with the length of the clip, the retractor, and the line going to the computer - there can be a lot of swing there. The larger retractors also come with a backing plate and some stainless screws. I screw mine onto the strap instead of clipping on the D-ring, and that removes about 4-5 inches of play. You might give that a shot.

Thanks Larry. I will give that a go. Just need to buy something else for travel.

Zenagirl

I'm with Larry. I like the console since I have ALL of my information in one place, including my compass. It's nice to be able to navigate and see my DTR, psi, and depth all at the same time. I also have the same type of retractor as Larry, though it was a pain to try to get the LDS to order one with the pin attachment instead of a clip. I should have called ST!

WaScubaDude
Wrist mount! Mine won't hit the ground until I've had one too many.

You funny guy.

bperrybap
10-13-2007, 12:57
Ok so from reading your post, you are most concerned
with dragging/scraping during gear setup/teardown.

I have a brigade (same BC as your ranger) and
an Aeris AI computer which may be smaller than yours
but what I do may still work for you.

I found that the large retractors are simply too large
for me and just dangle too far down.
I use one of the mini high force retractors with a quick
release on the end.
This one: Mini High Force Retractor (http://www.cetaceacorp.com/image.php?object_id=498&image_id=380&mode=detailed)
(I got this from ScubaToys, they don't have it on the WEB site.)

Many times, I'll unclip the computer from the end
of the retractor, leaving the retractor in place, and then
put the computer in the left pocket. I'll then zip
the pocket up to close it around the hose. It will hold
the computer nicely in place while the gear is being
setup, moving around and while I'm gearing up.

The other thing I'll do sometimes is clip the retractor
to the upper most left d-ring. This will keep it from
dragging on the deck or bench when the BC is being
removed/stored.

--- bill

wxboy911
10-13-2007, 13:52
I keep mine on my wrist-its always been there and I have not bumped it on the ground yet...lots of other stuff but not on the ground.

CompuDude
10-13-2007, 14:10

I'm with Larry. I like the console since I have ALL of my information in one place, including my compass. It's nice to be able to navigate and see my DTR, psi, and depth all at the same time. I also have the same type of retractor as Larry, though it was a pain to try to get the LDS to order one with the pin attachment instead of a clip. I should have called ST!

That's funny, I like wrist mount for the same reason. ;)

Wireless AI plus a wrist mounted compass means all of your info is right in front of you at all times. Always in your field of vision as you glide through the water in a trim position.

Back when I used a console, I would clip it with a short clip to my left chest D-ring. It only hung down about 4", and could be seen just by looking down at it. The only thing I needed to unclip it for was careful compass navigation.

WaScubaDude
10-13-2007, 14:55
Ok so from reading your post, you are most concerned
with dragging/scraping during gear setup/teardown.

I have a brigade (same BC as your ranger) and
an Aeris AI computer which may be smaller than yours
but what I do may still work for you.

I found that the large retractors are simply too large
for me and just dangle too far down.
I use one of the mini high force retractors with a quick
release on the end.
This one: Mini High Force Retractor (http://www.cetaceacorp.com/image.php?object_id=498&image_id=380&mode=detailed)
(I got this from ScubaToys, they don't have it on the WEB site.)

Many times, I'll unclip the computer from the end
of the retractor, leaving the retractor in place, and then
put the computer in the left pocket. I'll then zip
the pocket up to close it around the hose. It will hold
the computer nicely in place while the gear is being
setup, moving around and while I'm gearing up.

The other thing I'll do sometimes is clip the retractor
to the upper most left d-ring. This will keep it from
dragging on the deck or bench when the BC is being
removed/stored.

--- bill
Excellent!

Splitlip
10-13-2007, 23:38
I wrist mount, but I have used this with sucess.
It hangs enough from a shouder d-ring to read the computer easily. It won't extend under the console's weight, but the surgical tubing is stretchy enough to allow easy viewing of the SPG on the back.
To navigate with the compass, it unclips.

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 01:28
I was going to suggest wrist mounting as well, but so many here already beat me to it.

danielh03
10-14-2007, 01:47
AH, but what wrist? do you want it on your left one, so you can hold your bc hose as you asscend and watch your rate, or do you want it on the right one so you don't have to hold your left wrist in an strange position???

CompuDude
10-14-2007, 08:15
AH, but what wrist? do you want it on your left one, so you can hold your bc hose as you asscend and watch your rate, or do you want it on the right one so you don't have to hold your left wrist in an strange position???

Right wrist, for the reason you mention.

Plus, hold your light in your left hand, and not only is your right hand (usually the dominant hand) free for tasks throughout the dive (or a camera, for instance), but the light can be shined on the computer when diving at night.

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 09:06
I don't have a computer yet, just a bottom timer and I wear it on my left wrist. Thats where I wear my watch and it is comfortable there. Also while ascending I rarely hold by bcd hose over my head anymore. Just a quick tug on the hose and air escapes from the valve on my shoulder. Might try the right wrist though when I get a compuer as you bring up some good points.

fire diver
10-14-2007, 10:30
Computer on the wrist. Which wrist is up to you, but after a year of diving left wrist mount, I've switched it to the right. It hard to vent the bc and watch depth at the same time. Computers also get "cranky" when you repeated move it up and down several feet.

FD

scubamarc
10-14-2007, 10:39
I have a oceanic pro plus, a heavy computer. I use this:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RC002HF

why does it not work for everyone?? It recoils back every time.

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 10:42
Didn't think of having to move it up and down alot. Might be a good reason to start out with it on my right wrist when I get one just to become accustomed to it there from the beginning.

js1scuba
10-14-2007, 12:17
Take 12" of nylon line and tie a knot in the end to make one big loop, thread a nice big Swivel Bolt Snap in it. Loop it over the neck of the tank -- now clip your gauge, and the rings on your bc to it. It will all stay off the ground.

Cheers

JDS

TAH 73
10-14-2007, 14:31
I have an Oceanic Pro Plus 2, probably the biggest of the AI computers, with a compass, and I have this retactor http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RC002HF
I mounted it inside the pocket of my Ranger, with the attached plate, and only the clip protrudes out the bottom, and I could hand the whole reg set of this retractor and not have it spool out. Prior to the dive I carabener the computer to the chest strap, once the gear is assembled I clip it down on the fastex buckle.

skidiver
10-16-2007, 09:37
For those who use wrist mounts, do you put the computer on the right wrist and the compass on the left?

fire diver
10-16-2007, 10:00
That is the generally accepted way.

CompuDude
10-16-2007, 11:00
For those who use wrist mounts, do you put the computer on the right wrist and the compass on the left?

Yup. :smiley20:

dallasdivergirl
10-16-2007, 11:07
mine is clipped up on one of the higher d-ring during set up and then I attach it down low and then thru the clip belt and over my cumberbund. It keeps it close and out of the way.

No Misses
10-16-2007, 11:47
I use a bolt snap and clip it off to my left hip D ring. I can glance down and see it during the dive. On ascent I will usually unclip it to watch my ascent rate and depth. After surfacing it gets clipped back to my D ring.

My buddy used a retractor. He had the same issue as you do. After watching me for a while he is finally switching over to the bolt snap & D ring crowd.

DIMW Diver - Doing It My Way ;-)

cummings66
10-19-2007, 13:19
My computer is on the right wrist and the compass is on the left. Never had an issue ascending and venting air. Nav with it and compass are natural, not a big deal.

sudnit5
10-19-2007, 15:27
I used on of these:
How to Attach a Snap (http://diveriteexpress.com/library/boltsnap.shtml)

Defman
10-19-2007, 18:26
Look for a cover? My Wisdom (bought it used) came with a neoprene cover, the flap has a slot in it to fit around the hose.

mitsuguy
10-19-2007, 21:30
My computer is on the right wrist and the compass is on the left. Never had an issue ascending and venting air. Nav with it and compass are natural, not a big deal.

I can't stand anything on my right wrist... my computer is always on the left wrist... my bcd has 4 dump valves, so I pull on the right shoulder valve to vent with either hand - where the valve pull is, puts the computer right in front of my face, or, I can reach the same dump with my right hand as well... or, I could always tug on the inflator hose to activate the left shoulder dump valve with my right hand while holding my left hand out in front of me...