PDA

View Full Version : Mask sealant?

cummings66
07-16-2007, 22:56
What's the name of that stuff that comes in a tube like chapstick that is supposed to keep a mask from leaking, and does it really work?

I have a problem with lines and anytime I do an S drill the mask leaks, or if I smile it leaks. I'd really like to find something that would stop that.

frankc420
07-16-2007, 22:57
Silicone grease? It's the same stuff you use on O-rings isn't it?

cummings66
07-16-2007, 23:01
That's probably bad on the mask, it's a silicone base I think.

Lucky(AR)
07-16-2007, 23:26
i think its all in finding a mask that fits your face i have tried so very nice expensive mask ..that leaked just wasnt right for me

cummings66
07-16-2007, 23:49
I have this issue where when I smile I get big laugh lines in my face, I've tried every single mask at every single dive store I've ever been in and not one of them will conform to the crease I get when I laugh or smile big.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'm thinking there just isn't a mask other than my FFM that will work that way. Now the FFM is used when it gets cold which for me is temps below 38 degree's.</DIV>

somewhereinla
07-18-2007, 19:47
You are probably thinking of "Aqua seal", this stuff is a must have for all divers. Great stuff.

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 20:25
mine leaks constantly. between my moustache and smiling all the time, I can't win. I just clear my mask every few minutes and live with it. I know a lot of divers with moustaches put a bit of silicone on their staches. Maybe that'll work.

ScubaToys Larry
07-20-2007, 20:28
Uh... Aqua Seal is wet suit cement. Don't put that on your mask unless you really, really, really like the color - as you will wear it for the rest of your life. It's a very good glue!

As far as the sealant you are talking about - I have seen the stuff. Can't remember what it's called, but I'll look through some catalogs tomorrow. I also would tell you it may or may not work, and maybe a softer skirt like the mares liquid skin, or a different mask would make a more comfortable solution.

JahJahwarrior
07-21-2007, 17:03
On a dive wth an SB member who had just purchased a Liquidvision.....we surface, an dI notice his maskis 1/2 full of water! Turns out, he basically had done the entire dive with an almost completely flooded mask. He was non-plussed.

The silicone based lube won't kill you mask very quickly at all, and it can help seal it. I have never invested in any out of cheapness. You could go to a pool supply store and get a huge toothpaste like tube of the stuff very cheaply though.

k46tank
07-22-2007, 02:28
There is some stuff called Mask Leak Sealant (MLS) but I've never used it so I have no idea if it works. It can be ordered athttp://www.DiveRightInScuba.com (http://www.diverightinscuba.com/)if Larry doesn't have it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Or, like Larry said, use the AquaSeal on your favorite mask and you will never have a leak. But you will get some strange looks when you go to the bank.http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gif</DIV>

cummings66
07-22-2007, 17:44
OK, I've got two possible answers. The more flexible mask skirt or a smaller mask. I'll have to investigate that one a bit more as well.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>To be honest I've lived with this for a couple years while searching for a perfect solution and it doesn't bother me to clear. In fact in one of my upcoming courses which I'm practicing skills for such as swimming around without a mask I find it's not a big deal at all, but if I'm wearing a mask I'd like it to fit right.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>My best mask is theAkona Abaco and the worst is the Mares X-Vision. The gap for what it's worth is about 1/4 inch when I smile, I don't think any mask is that flexible but maybe Larry can tell me if the liquid vision is.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>With the gap I measured just now when I smiled with my mask on you can see the flooding issue. It's just the cheek near the nose, that fold that you get when you smile. Mine just happens to be 1/4 inch deep.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I remember one dive in a drysuit where I was showing a newer diver some recovery skills and I was feet up head down and I smiled when he tried it, my mask flooded completely in an instant. Completely full because with those gaps on each side facing up the water just pours in. The only part I hated was the water in my nose which took me by surprise.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

cummings66
07-23-2007, 07:28
OK, I've been looking at the Mares Liquidskin Mask and from the description it does sound more flexible, but is it enough so that I would stand a chance of it not leaking? Can it handle that much of a wrinkle? I hate to spend the money without actually trying one on because honestly to date I've tried nearly every mask on the market. I really do stop at every single dive shop I see and try on masks of all types and prices to see what fits, to date nothing has but this mask is one I've never seen before.

DirtyWaterIL
07-28-2007, 11:53
does that stuff leave any unwelcoem residue on your face or mask?

JahJahwarrior
07-28-2007, 13:08
Dirtywater--yes, it probably does, seeing as it is basically silicone lube. However, your skin will probably absorb some, and some will wash off as you dive....it probably won't be a huge problem, unless yo are really globbing it on there! A thin layer will likely work best, and it won't benoticiable after the dive much. If it is, a quick wipe with a towel will fix you up just fine!

BSea
07-28-2007, 13:45
There is some stuff called Mask Leak Sealant (MLS) but I've never used it so I have no idea if it works. It can be ordered athttp://www.DiveRightInScuba.com (http://www.diverightinscuba.com/)if Larry doesn't have it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Or, like Larry said, use the AquaSeal on your favorite mask and you will never have a leak. But you will get some strange looks when you go to the bank.http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gif</DIV>

I've heard really good things about this stuff. But I've never used it myself. From what I understand, you just use a very small amount to leave a thin film on the mask skirt. I saw a threead aout this in Scubaboard.

I have the X-vision mask, and it's as dry as any mask I've ever used. I'm going to check out the liquid skin on my next visit to ST.

plot
07-29-2007, 17:22
Whenever I wear a hood... it keeps my mask from leaking. :icon_neutral:

Otherwise I have to clear a few times throughout the dive, nothing major though. I'm still interested in finding a good solution... so let us know what works.

Black-Gorrilla
07-30-2007, 06:06
i have the same problem.. when i move my mouth around to reposition my reg, or big smiles i get slight amounts of water in the nose area... sometimes i just leave it there... but most times i clear and continue...

I've heard of people using a bit of vaseline on their mask, and it seems to work.

DirtyWaterIL
07-31-2007, 15:21
anyone know if you can get 02 compatable mask sealant?

BSea
07-31-2007, 16:07
This is a joke right?

DirtyWaterIL
07-31-2007, 16:14
This is a joke right?

why would it be a joke? I just read that most of the sealants are silicone based. So if your using high levels of 02, although unlikely, there are potentials for problems.

TxHockeyGuy
07-31-2007, 16:19
This is a joke right?

why would it be a joke? I just read that most of the sealants are silicone based. So if your using high levels of 02, although unlikely, there are potentials for problems.

High levels of o2 are only a problem under pressure. There is no possible benefit to using some sort of o2 compatible mask sealant.

BSea
07-31-2007, 16:20
This is a joke right?

But the only gas going into your mask would be when you exhale. So it should have a lower O2 level, and be more CO2. But if you were using close to 100% I guess that might be an issue. Then again, if worse came to worse, you could just take off your mask. You would be shallow, and be near the end of your dive if you are using almost pure O2.

DirtyWaterIL
07-31-2007, 16:28
I'm not talkign about during the dive nessecarily. I mean more of having it on my hands because I'm sloppy and didnt clean all of it off, then accidently touching a regulator or tank valve, assembling them then BOOM when they get pressurized.

DirtyWaterIL
07-31-2007, 16:33
probaly one of those things what would never happened, but it just popped into my head and I asked out of curiosity.

BSea
07-31-2007, 16:34
I'm not talkign about during the dive nessecarily. I mean more of having it on my hands because I'm sloppy and didnt clean all of it off, then accidently touching a regulator or tank valve, assembling them then BOOM when they get pressurized.
Well, if that's the case, then the same problem could occur to anyone that used any silicone based lube on any of their gear. If you are using pure O2, then you would or should be aware of the risks, and what you can and can't have come in contact with the O2.

Wolfie2012
07-31-2007, 17:03
I just bought a liquidskin when my other mask broke beyond repair on my recent trip. I have had a load of problems with leakage if I don't shave perfectly or if I smile or if the moon is full on a tuesday and it helped immensely.

BSea
07-31-2007, 17:10
I just bought a liquidskin when my other mask broke beyond repair on my recent trip. I have had a load of problems with leakage if I don't shave perfectly or if I smile or if the moon is full on a tuesday and it helped immensely.

I think that will be my next mask purchase. I have the regular X-vision right now, and it fits great.

Venio
07-31-2007, 17:17

I think that will be my next mask purchase. I have the regular X-vision right now, and it fits great.

I can second that. However, I've experienced something interesting with mine. Usually after the second dive it starts leaking. I can't really explain why that happens. Anyone has a theory?

DirtyWaterIL
07-31-2007, 23:00

I have the liquidskin as well and it works excellent except when i let my beard get out of control.

cummings66
08-01-2007, 19:10
All these recent positive reviews of this mask might prompt me to buy one and try it sight unseen.

I still doubt the mask sealant is based on silicone. Nobody in their right mind would make it out of that, it's not compatible with the mask skirts over a long duration. You would eventually end up with the skirt material degrading due to exposure. I can't believe a company would open themselves up to buying new masks. It may feel like it, but I'll bet it's not. I'll buy some this weekend and see, I'll be down south diving I hope and I know a dive shop that has it in stock.

Wolfie2012
08-01-2007, 19:24
All these recent positive reviews of this mask might prompt me to buy one and try it sight unseen.

Now I'll feel bad if you hate it! ;)

dmdoss
08-01-2007, 23:04
Superglue! :smiley36:

divnlite
08-04-2007, 19:58
I just used the Mask Leak Sealant from Mike over at Dive Right In Scuba and this stuff is great.
I have an extremely small face and have three different masks that all leak. I am a master at mask clearing.....
Yesterday I tried out this stuff for the first time and did not have a drop of water in my mask through two dives. I even let some water in during the second dive due to a little fogging; swished it around the lenses and cleared and no leakage.
It is sort of waxy, I used a VERY tiny amount around the skirt and did not re-apply for the second dive and it still held. It does leave a bit of residue on your face but not visible and wiped off easily.
I figure the little container I have will last me forever. Or darn near.
This stuff will go with me on all dive trips for sure.

cummings66
08-05-2007, 21:26
I got the mask leak sealant and tried it out. For me it was better, not perfect but much better. This is the first time in memory I could take my primary regulator out and replace it with my backup without starting a non stop leak.

Now I know it's not scientific, but there is no label saying what is in this stuff so I sniffed it and it smells like silicone grease. Once I did that I decided to sample a bit of it, it tasted like silicone grease as well. As far as I can tell that's got to be what it is.

There are warnings on it to not get it in your eye, but I don't think that's a concern based on how it works. As far as I'm concerned it's not perfect, but it is much better than without it. I'll buy it again.

ScubaToys Larry
08-06-2007, 01:01
Well, what da' heck. We'll get some in the shop in case anyone wants some on their next order.

Panhandle Joe
08-19-2007, 08:52
Has anyone used the liquidskin mask that has a wide face? Curious to hear how it seals around moustaches and facial creases also.