PDA

View Full Version : Ok, need some help here

danielh03
10-14-2007, 00:34
I have been racking my brains for weeks over which reg to buy. I have had my heart set on new OMS brand regs... but now I dont know. I have seen so many other brands out there that have really good numbers. I don't want to break the bank, but I also refuse to sacrafice quality on this purchase. Can anyone help me out here? I dive mostly quarries, ranging from 80 F to 50F, but I want something that will not free flow if I happen to get a little colder than that. Working with the Rescue Squad here, I will be called on to dive "black water", and in cold weather as well. So again, HELP!!!!:smiley11:

DivingsInMyBlood
10-14-2007, 01:41
Ive had my titan lx supreme down to 43 with no problems.

DUnder
10-16-2007, 13:46
I would go with an environmental sealed 1st stage, because of the cold dark water that you will be in. Try to find one in your price range from any of the major manufactors and you should be good to go. Also you could call ST and talk to them and see what they suggest.

BobbyWombat
10-16-2007, 14:01
ST will probably hook you up with something.

I haven't heard much about OMS regs. Atomic, ScubaPro and Apex all get consistently good ratings, both by users and in the trade publications. Zeagle seems to have a following in the tech community as well.

I would second that you probably want to look for an environmentally sealed 1st stage. Balanced diaphragm is also said to be more resistant to cold water caused freeflow, but I wouldn't let that stop you from getting a piston design if you find a good deal.

Talk to ST. The best advice I can give is: don't pay retail. Troll around for a good quality reg at a good price. You'll know a good deal when you see one.

BobbyWombat
10-16-2007, 14:03
Additional item: Many of the nice regulators won't allow their distributors to sell them over the internet. I think Atomic, ScubaPro and Apex are all of this ilk.

Not sure if ST can hook you up over the phone. They can at least give you some good advice.

Zeagle can readily be purchased online.

DiverBry
10-16-2007, 14:07
Zeagles are great regulators.

If you are doing public safety diving, might I recommend the AGA or Divator regulator/mask? Also good for black water, cold water, and potentially contaminated water.

danielh03
10-17-2007, 02:37
Additional item: Many of the nice regulators won't allow their distributors to sell them over the internet. I think Atomic, ScubaPro and Apex are all of this ilk.

Not sure if ST can hook you up over the phone. They can at least give you some good advice.

Zeagle can readily be purchased online.

I emailed ST a few days ago and there hasn't been a response. I have bugged larry a few times in the past about it so he may have just gave up on me lol! I don't have a good LDS in my area. The only one I have PUSHES OMS only. I like the regs, but for the price I know I could find something even better.

danielh03
10-17-2007, 02:39
Zeagles are great regulators.

If you are doing public safety diving, might I recommend the AGA or Divator regulator/mask? Also good for black water, cold water, and potentially contaminated water.

I have a full face mask at my disposal, provided by the local Rescue Squad I belong to. It also has coms in it as well. But also it may be out being serviced when I need it most. Cant see spending that kind of money right off the bat on one.