PDA

View Full Version : TMJ & Scuba - Any Solutions?

Clanggedin
10-14-2007, 09:54
I have TMJ and yesterday I took my scouts to a free Discover Scuba class being offered by a not so LDS. During the free swim portion of the course I noticed that the left side of my jaw locked up while having the reg in my mouth. It wasn't painful but it was uncomfortable. Once we re-surfaced at the end of the course it took a good few minutes of pushing my jaw side ways to get it to unlock.

I am worried that when I am at much deeper depths I am going to have more issues with my jaw and I won't be able to resurface to correct it.

Does anyone else have TMJ and what do you do to prevent it from happening while diving??

Thanks,
Clanggedin

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 10:05
I'm not sure I have TJM, but if I open my mouth wide, my jaw pops. Not painful or anything. One suggestion would be a full face mask that didn;t require you to bite down on the regulator. Something like this would probably help if it was the biting down that caused the problem.

greyzen
10-14-2007, 10:13
Well, my TMJ isn't that bad but I do get sore/etc.
ONe thing I've been looking at is:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SCI

It gives you a smaller bite guard, and is similar to the mouth piece I use at night.

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 10:21
A fitted mouth piece would require a lot less pressure to keep firmly in your mouth. I know that during a long cold dive I find my jaws are sore from biting down so hard. Probably from being a little cold, but I do have to relax my jaw muscles during a dive to keep them from hurting a bit.

Clanggedin
10-14-2007, 12:39
Everytime I bite down my jaw pops then when I open my mouth back up the left side of my jaw will pop followed by the right side. It's not painful, but when I chew others around me can hear it popping. I have noticed that if I don't open my mouth up past the part where it pops before I go to sleep it will either lock up or be sore the next morning.

The SeaCure looks like it might be the ticket. I never thought about a full face mask, but they arep pretty pricey. I haven't OW certified yet.

Are the mouth pieces on regulators easy to remove so if I bought one that fit the regs used at the LDS I could use it when I take the course??

If the reg mouth pieces aren't easily removable, should I invest in a reg now with this bite guard on it or deal with my jaw locking until I complete my OW?

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 12:46
They are pretty easy to remove. Just clip the zip tie and pull it off. Put on a new mouthpiece and secure it with another zip tie. You might want to talk to he LDS before doing this though. It is their gear and they may not appreciate somone changing it, not matter how easily it can be put back to its original state.

And yes, full face masks are pretty pricey when compared to other masks, but if it is the only way you can dive comfortably it might just be worth the investment.

Flatliner
10-14-2007, 19:17
There are FFMs that cost a lot less than some others. Of course you need to use your own reg and they don't have comms but it isn't a huge investment. PM Larry or Joe and ask them about it.

medic001918
10-14-2007, 19:26
My wife has TMJ syndrome and dives with the seacure moldable mouthpiece. It makes diving much easier for her and she only occasionally has pain or a headache from it. It's not toally ideal, but it's the best solution that we could come up with.

Shane

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 19:29
Yeah definately. You can get one by Cressi Sub for $100 or less. This is the one I was looking at. Price is not that much more that a regualr mask.

http://cressisubusa.com/easyStore/SchedeVedi.asp?ProdottiID=401

I'm sure other companies make an economical full face mask as well.

WestTnDiver
10-15-2007, 14:47
My wife also has TMJ. We both use seacure mouthpieces and love them. However, be aware that there are different sizes designed for different regulators so if you rent your gear there might be problems if you use different make reg sets from time to time. If you're going to continue diving, I'd recommend having your own gear. Having and using gear which you are familiar and comfortable with can help you be a safer diver and cuts down on task loading.
Full face masks have their own sets of challenges and I've heard about problems with the cheaper ones. Also training is needed to learn to deal with things like OAR, free flow, etc.

dallasdivergirl
10-15-2007, 14:52
I have TMJ and I use the seacure too. I had to cut the mouth piece way down since I have a small mouth (despite all of years of hanging out in the orthodonitist office). I still get some ache to my jaw but I think with this condition it's to be expected.

RECDiver
10-15-2007, 15:46
I agree with Medic001918. My wife uses the seacure mouthpiece and she made 17 dives at Grand Cayman in July.

dogseatmayo
08-05-2008, 22:30
This solution is more pricey, but you can just get a full face mask. then you don't have to bite down on the regulator. hope you get the situation resolved soon. good luck

Diver Kat
08-05-2008, 23:17
Try the Seacure .... I don't have TMJ, but always ended up with a painful jaw after a few dives due to have to clamp down on the reg mouthpiece to hold it in place. (Probably exacerbated by a severe overbite) One I switched to the Seacure the pain went away. Since you mold it to fit your teeth exactly, you don't need much effort to keep it in place.

oddbod
08-06-2008, 03:39
I also had TMJ problems, and have used the Comfo-bite Mouthpiece on an Aqua-lung Micra, don't have any jaw fatigue any more.

obrules15
08-06-2008, 07:36
I have TMJ and use the Seacure mouthpiece. It is actually very similar to the bite guard my dentist wants me to wear at night so maybe if you get this you can use it as a twofer:smiley36:

Vercingetorix
08-06-2008, 08:39
Perhaps you may wish to swap you hose with a Miflex hose. The standard rubber hose on my reg pulled mightily, causing me to clamp hard on the mouthpiece. The result was a sore jaw and headaches. Since switching to Miflex, I can even hold my reg loosely with just my lips, if need be. All pulling is gone.

That said, there are some rubber hoses which flex quite nicely. If that's yours, then don't waste cash on Miflex.

Diver Kat
08-06-2008, 09:20
Perhaps you may wish to swap you hose with a Miflex hose. The standard rubber hose on my reg pulled mightily, causing me to clamp hard on the mouthpiece. The result was a sore jaw and headaches. Since switching to Miflex, I can even hold my reg loosely with just my lips, if need be. All pulling is gone.

That said, there are some rubber hose which flex quite nicely. If that's yours, then don't waste cash on Miflex.

True .... the hose on my old Mares reg was pretty stiff, and it could be annoying at times. I just bought a new Scubapro reg about the time everyone started taking about the Miflex hoses and was going to look into getting one, but the hose on the new Scubapro was really pretty flexible, so I'm holding off on investing in the Miflex.

DougNR
08-06-2008, 09:40
I am worried that when I am at much deeper depths I am going to have more issues with my jaw and I won't be able to resurface to correct it.

While the Sea Cure mouthpiece sounds like the best solution to the TMJ issue in general, I saw no discussion regarding the OP's question regarding TMJ vs depth.

I wouldn't think TML would be impacted by depth of your dive. It's all about clenching the mouthpiece too hard. What do you think?

Regards,

Doug

Clanggedin
08-06-2008, 14:02
Thanks for all of the advice, even though this thread is from Oct or 07'. I wasn't even certified when I asked this question.

I purchased miflex hoses with my first reg set and it resolved the issues of my jaw locking. Since I don't have to deal with hose pull anymore, I don't have to clamp down as hard on the regs.

Thanks for all of the responses though.