PDA

View Full Version : Night Diver Specialty

JipThePeople
10-14-2007, 18:58
What does the Night Diver cert entail? I now with PADI it is three dives, what about NAUI? I have NAUI adv OW and we did one night dive. I want to get one more cert before it gets cold. Do the three dives focus on a particular skill?

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 19:02
Other than diving at night? Just kidding. Can't say for NAUI but that was what our class with PADI focused on. What to do if your primary light goes out, if you primary and back up go out. What the differnt lights are for and how to use them ie Marker lights, surface lights ect... Considerations for hand signals at night. Mostly comon sense stuff but it does give you that card so you can make night dives with a charter or liveaboard.

HedoDiver
10-14-2007, 23:46
I made my first night dive about a year ago. It was amazing! I saw so much more than the day dives. I am planning on making another in about 24 days. If I can, I am going to get certified for night diving & AOW while on my dive vacation in Jamaica. :)

kyfriedchipper
10-15-2007, 00:51
Gonna have to take some time before I expose myself to this one...

Zenagirl
10-15-2007, 07:22
Never had to show a night diver c-card to night dive on a liveaboard or charter before...

DivingsInMyBlood
10-15-2007, 07:38
i did my first night dive the other night it took me a minute a slow my breathing down and about 4 more to go horizontal (took me a while to figure which way was which), it was quite the experience. Its a different ball game alright.

Damselfish
10-15-2007, 11:09
I can't see getting a cert just to get a cert, get it because you need the card or it teaches you something.

The cert probably isn't needed, I've never seen an op that asked to see a night diving card. Been on many boats with first time night divers, there tends to be an extra detailed briefing then off they go.

A night diving course may or may not be useful to you, the one dive you did for AOW may have been enough to get you going. If you've already dove at night and were comfortable, I'm not sure you get that much out of the average night diving course that you won't get out of a good briefing or just reading the stuff in the AOW book

That said, I actually did take the PADI night diving course and it was useful for me - not to learn any skills, I didn't really hear anything I didn't hear on my AOW night dive. But I was not very comfortable and it helped with that, especially as the instructor gathered a couple random folks off the dock, I think one was his girlfriend, and had me plan and lead a dive. I don't know if that is part of the regular outline or not.

JipThePeople
10-15-2007, 17:28
I can't see getting a cert just to get a cert, get it because you need the card or it teaches you something.

The cert probably isn't needed, I've never seen an op that asked to see a night diving card. Been on many boats with first time night divers, there tends to be an extra detailed briefing then off they go.

A night diving course may or may not be useful to you, the one dive you did for AOW may have been enough to get you going. If you've already dove at night and were comfortable, I'm not sure you get that much out of the average night diving course that you won't get out of a good briefing or just reading the stuff in the AOW book

That said, I actually did take the PADI night diving course and it was useful for me - not to learn any skills, I didn't really hear anything I didn't hear on my AOW night dive. But I was not very comfortable and it helped with that, especially as the instructor gathered a couple random folks off the dock, I think one was his girlfriend, and had me plan and lead a dive. I don't know if that is part of the regular outline or not.

That's good info - thanks!