PDA

View Full Version : What car should I get?

datamunk
10-14-2007, 22:24
Okay so, when I graduate college, I am going to get a new car.

My budget is $35,000 cash, so, I can get a decent drop on price of any car at a dealership off tag cuz of that.

Use the poll tell me what I should get, or what you would recommend!

Will upload pics in a lil bit.

No matter what the vehicle, will be black, or the lexus will be a black saphire which is a real real dark blue, its slick.

Just so you know, the IS350 vs IS250 is same body, but diff engine and stuff...

Lexus IS350

http://images.automotive.com/reviews/images/07-is350-hero.jpg

Lexus IS250

http://www.planetlexus.com/lexus-is250-is350/lexus-is250-is350-front.jpg

Infiniti G35 Sedan

http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/04/G35_1.JPG

Dodge Ram

http://www.automedia.com/NewCarBuyersGuide/photos/2005/Dodge/Ram%201500%20Quad%20Cab/Pickup_Truck/2005_Dodge_Ram1500Quad_ext_1.jpg

Silverado

http://www.gmcanada.com/images/vehicles/2007/chevrolet/silverado/chev_silv_mode_01_main.jpg

F150

http://media.truckblog.com/ai/2007/1467.jpg

BuzzF117
10-15-2007, 10:15
something two years old so you don't pay the 30% depreciation let some other poor schlub do it...The most expensive part of buying a new car isn't the maintenance its the depreciation use the left over $10k to go on a REALLY nice dive trip

nuff said
Buzz the one eyed diver

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
10-15-2007, 10:40
I have been shopping for about three months now and want to get a pickup. I have been talking to a solid Ford man/mechanic and he is telling me to go with the Silverado. Ford has been having some engine troubles, Dodge has rear end and tranny problems. According to him and his mechanic buddies right now the Chevy the stuff.

I would think the truck would work out better for you to carry dive gear but it won't make as big an impression as a Lex. Enjoy whatever you settle for.

No Misses
10-15-2007, 10:42
First things first. What are your needs? Here's a little story, When I was young I drove cars. My dad had a pickup so if I needed to haul anything, I always had the option of borrowing dad's truck. When I moved away from home, none of my friends had trucks. So, I bought a truck. Since then, I have always been the one with a truck. I don't use it often. But, it is nice to know that it is there when needed. When I bought my first boat, it worked out well that I already had a vehicle capable of towing it. Imagine having to buy a truck at the same time that you buy a boat. Ouch!
Stop and take a good look at your needs, before deciding.
- Will you be putting a lot of miles on it? You may want something with decent gas mileage.
- Do you need a tow vehicle?
- Do you need a chick magnet?
- Are you anal about your vehicles? Will a scratch ruin your day? The day that I put my first scratch into my new truck was a relief. Now I could relax and treat it like a truck.
- Are you the designated driver? It is easier to pack 4 people into a car than into a standard cab truck. Scratch that. I see that you are looking at crew/extended cabs. IMHO a truck should have a standard cab and a full size bed. Those little 6 foot beds are a joke. If you need to haul something heavy it will be directly over the rear axle instead of being spread between the front and rear axles. If you want a truck, get a truck. If you want a car, get a car. Trying to straddle the middle leaves you with a truck that is less than it could be, and a car that does not ride as well as it should. (i'll put my soapbox away now).

You might want to start a pro's and con's list. put a score next to each item and add them up. You might be supprised which direction you need to go. Good luck.

P.S. I have the Silverado 2500 HD. It's a great truck. But, that 6L v8 drinks gas like its free.

NitroWill
10-15-2007, 10:42
I vote for a truck no particular brand preference. I owned a chevy for years and it was gear. I'd also check out the Chevy Colorado trucks - those are some pretty nice trucks as well and I almost got one myself if I wouldnt have gotten my nitro!

Tableleg
10-15-2007, 11:03
Personally, I'd get an 07 Mini CooperS with the full JCW kit and all the other bells and whistles if I decided not to go with the truck option. I've never been a big fan of Lexus, so my vote went to the G35.

rubberduck
10-15-2007, 11:21
I have a 2003 silverado that I bought new. No major issues as it approaches 75K miles. I would probably buy another one.

fire diver
10-15-2007, 11:32
I say buy a truck, regardless of brand. I've been happy with my '04 F-150. I personally LIKE the super-crew feature of mine. I can haul more than one person around comfortably. If I need to haul anything bigger than my 6' bed can handle, I have a trailer.

Plus it's nice to be able to throw all that wet dive gear in the back and not worry about water damage, smell, etc. I never worry about being able to fit luggage.

FD

datamunk
10-15-2007, 12:05
yea.. see, right now i dive a lot in florida, for obvious reasons. however, i am planning on leaving florida after school to georgia for a few years, then maybe NC or Seattle, where i wont be doing all that much diving anymore.

i like having a truck, i drive a lil frontier now but.. meh. i HATE not being able to drive a bunch of people at one time, im stuck to one. i enjoy to drive so i dont mind being DD for trips etc.

i like the silverado the best out of all the trucks.

i like the sexiness of the lexus, but the g35 is right behind.

i doubt ill have a boat.. but, what i would do if the need arouse, was do like my dad and buy an old junk truck for around 1-2k, maybe less, that runs and can haul what i need. who cares if it has n odashboard ;P

but yea.. no idea :\ i want to buy used, just so i can get an even lower price, so i dunno. we shall seeeeee.

im not much for minis tho ;P

subsur
10-15-2007, 12:19
save on gas, don't get a big car unless you plan to use it to its capabilities.

fire diver
10-15-2007, 12:23
yea.. see, right now i dive a lot in florida, for obvious reasons. however, i am planning on leaving florida after school to georgia for a few years, then maybe NC or Seattle, where i wont be doing all that much diving anymore.

I'm glad I didn't have anything in my mouth when I read that! I would have choked to death. :smiley11:

Sure the diving is a bit different from FL diving, but DAM! You know how bad I would love to go live in NC so I dive off the coast there? Some of the best wreck diving in the states. Seattle has awesome diving too.

Sheeze, I live in the middle of the freekin country. I have a 4 hour drive to just be able to dive. So when I go, I load up tanks, tanks, and more tanks. All my gear, my daughters gear, plus camping / clothing gear and make a weekend out of it. Moving away from FL doesn't mean the end of diving.

FD

divingmedic
10-15-2007, 12:25
Dodge Ram gotta have something to haul the dive gear in.

MSilvia
10-15-2007, 13:12
I wouldn't buy any of those... none of them would even make my top 10 list, althogh if I HAD to pick one, I'd get the F150. Of course, I also wouldn't consider taking a trip to NC or Seattle without diving, so we may not be on the same page with our priorities.

Personally, with a $35,000 budget for a car, I'd get a loaded Toyota Yaris S sedan and invest $20000. Plenty of room for passengers and gear, low price, 40 miles/gallon with a conventional engine, and it's made by a mfgr with a solid reputation for reliability.

marchand
10-15-2007, 13:35
Get an ex-military Blazer. They have a 6.2L diesel which is nothing but power and they get around 24mpg. They also look sweet and you can get one for around $6000.

Steve Scuba
10-15-2007, 13:44
We have the IS350, and its a fantastic car. Its has too many great features to list. BUT, if it's the only car you are going to have, you should definitely think hard about it. The back seat is miniscule (it's fine if you don't have kids and don't plan on taking friends for long drives or if you happen to be incredibly short.) The IS 250 and IS 350 both do not have split or fold down seats. This will really limit your options when it comes to shoving your gear in the back. I think the Infinity might suffer the same issue.

Make sure to drive the 250 and 350 both, preferrably on the same day. I wanted the 250 until I drove both of them.

Defman
10-15-2007, 14:01
Obviously given your hobby, a truck/SUV would make toting all the crap we own a lot easier... But car's are nice. So, what about taking $5k of that cash and buying a used truck for diving and other truck needs, then drop the $30k on a sweet ride?

CompuDude
10-15-2007, 15:24
I loved my Lexus, and have drove sedan's pretty much all of my life, aside from a Grand Cherokee for a couple of years.

However, my Lexus made for a LOUSY dive platform. If you'll be schlepping wet sandy divers and gear a lot, I'd pass on the sedans and start looking at other vehicles. Trucks are fantastic, but they do slurp fuel like crazy.

My current dive vehicle is a Honda Element. Def. a big step down from my Lexus in terms of style and luxury, but it gets better mileage and ROCKS as a dive transport machine. Three divers plus gear no problem, and easy to clean out when you're done.

So you have to decide what is more important to you: Practicality or flash. And if you vote flash (I wouldn't blame you) decide if you are ok with the beating it's going to take should you use it to transport divers and gear.

creggur
10-15-2007, 15:55
My vote

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x267/creggur/NOGAROS4.jpg

Audi S4 Avant. It's the best of all worlds....
I can fit 2 sets of dive gear and a set of golf clubs in the back (it's tight, but it fits), gets decent mileage, handles like a sports car, and is FAST!!!!

Like someone said above, don't buy new!! I've been in the car business a long time, and have never owned a new car. It's just silly to take the hit on depreciation when you can get a car that has lost nothing from new, except the smell, for considerably less..

FishFood
10-15-2007, 16:03
Obviously given your hobby, a truck/SUV would make toting all the crap we own a lot easier... But car's are nice. So, what about taking $5k of that cash and buying a used truck for diving and other truck needs, then drop the $30k on a sweet ride?

I second this.

$35000 is plenty of money for two vehicles. You can easily get a nice car and nice truck with amount of money. No point in buying new...

fire diver
10-15-2007, 16:29

I second this.

$35000 is plenty of money for two vehicles. You can easily get a nice car and nice truck with amount of money. No point in buying new...

Shoot, maybe I need to come down there for my next car purchase. 'Cuase it's EXPENSIVE to buya truck here. $30,000 and higher for a real truck. Not the mini-trucks like S-10s but trucks. And if you want a diesel, add another $10K.

Maybe in a few years the hybrid engines will come of age and be powerful enough for use in a truck.

Illini_Fan
10-15-2007, 16:34
Given the options, I'd vote for the Infinity. I'm not a truck person (I drive a BMW Z4). I have friends with that have the M-Series from Infinity ans well as the G series and I've always like the way they look. Haven't heard anything bad about them in terms of maintenance, but don't really track it.

MSilvia
10-15-2007, 16:49
Not the mini-trucks like S-10s but trucks.
What are you hauling, dive gear or bricks? If you don't need a "real truck" don't waste your money on one. I've had two Ford Rangers with 4 cyl engines, and they both had plenty of payload and power for several moves and a home renovation.

Unless you really have so much disposable income that you don't have anything better to do with $15,000+, buying things for flash strikes me as "All hat and no cattle" affluence. IMHO, it's better to spend small and live large. YMMV, but my used $2500 "truck" helped me buy a nice 3BR farmhouse by the ocean.

Black-Gorrilla
10-15-2007, 16:50
i say the the f150 4 door, or the G35s sedan (has to be S)
other than that, i would suggest a used Audi A6 (new body style)

fire diver
10-15-2007, 17:13
What are you hauling, dive gear or bricks? If you don't need a "real truck" don't waste your money on one. I've had two Ford Rangers with 4 cyl engines, and they both had plenty of payload and power for several moves and a home renovation.

Unless you really have so much disposable income that you don't have anything better to do with $15,000+, buying things for flash strikes me as "All hat and no cattle" affluence. IMHO, it's better to spend small and live large. YMMV, but my used $2500 "truck" helped me buy a nice 3BR farmhouse by the ocean.

First off, watch what youre saying. Calling me all hat and no cattle? HAve you ever met me? Have you ever LIVED in cattle country? There is no such thing as a "farmhouse by the ocean"

As for my choice of truck, show me a ranger or S-10 that can haul a rick or wood in the bed or a 25 foot boat all over the country without destroying the transmission.

bubble-head
10-15-2007, 18:28
I'd get the Silverado. The Chevy dealors have some awesome financing right now. I have multiple family members with the trucks and all have had great luck with them. If you get a boat later, or a friend does, the truck will prove much more useful than the cars.

Kokomo
10-15-2007, 18:46
The Silverado....and there is some good diving in NC and Seattle.

FishFood
10-15-2007, 19:17

First off, watch what youre saying. Calling me all hat and no cattle? HAve you ever met me? Have you ever LIVED in cattle country? There is no such thing as a "farmhouse by the ocean"

As for my choice of truck, show me a ranger or S-10 that can haul a rick or wood in the bed or a 25 foot boat all over the country without destroying the transmission.

All Silvia was trying to say was dont buy what you dont need. I lived in "Cattle Country" East Texas for 15 years. I noted one thing... the big expensive trucks were almost always for show. Never got worked. The smart rancher, or farmer always had some old work horse of a truck.

$30k for a truck is not needed. $5-$10 grand would get you quite a nice truck. Shoot, I paid a total of $750 for my "real truck" (F150) and the new ones cant do a single thing mine cant... Ok... except maybe keep you cool in the summer :D

Maybe in a few years the hybrid engines will come of age and be powerful enough for use in a truck.

Ford is rumored to have a small diesel in there half ton pickups for the 2010 lineup. Dodge and Chevy most likely are coming up with one also. Not a hybrid, but better than a gasser.

Bring the Payne
10-15-2007, 19:33
If you need any kind of space don't buy the G35. I bought a 350z when they first came out (g35 is almost the same) and they have very little room. A friend did have a g35...nice but no room. Guess it all depends on what you want it for. Personally I like the ability to haul gear and have a fast/fun vehicle to drive so I traded the 350 for a Mercedes ML55. You can never go wrong with a truck though.

wheelman
10-15-2007, 19:41
Do a truck if you think you will want/need one... It's now like my shop once you have one you can't do without it.

fire diver
10-15-2007, 20:02
$30k for a truck is not needed. $5-$10 grand would get you quite a nice truck. Shoot, I paid a total of $750 for my "real truck" (F150) and the new ones cant do a single thing mine cant... Ok... except maybe keep you cool in the summer :D

$30K would be the price for a NEW truck, but thats also just the 1/2 ton model. New 1ton would cost over $55K. And those are just the regular model prices. The "KingRanch" would add another $10K to the sticker. Of course if I bought a bigger truck, I would be forced to go buy a bigger boat to justify it. :smiley2:

As for the cheap, old, used trucks, heres how I look at it.

Who owned it? Wasn't me. They probably didn't keep up the maintenance like I do. Were they hauling twice the rated cargo with it? How long till the tranny dies? How long till it throws a rod? Is there pepper in the radiator?

I don't want to buy a "cheap" truck then put $1K in maintence needs into it replacing all the fluids, filters, cracked hoses, worn shocks, brakes, etc. Then there's the life expectancy for major systems like the tranny and engine. One of those goes out and there goes all that cash you "saved" when buying this great deal.

FD

frankc420
10-15-2007, 20:04
I voted for the Chevy truck, although I like the F-150 too.

Here's what I recently purchased, since it wasn't in your list I couldn't vote for it.. I love it! Since you already have a Nissan Frontier I'm sure it's lived up to Nissan's reputation.

This truck is much bigger than the older Frontier,

2007 Nissan Frontier, bought used:

http://sysconms.com/%7Efrankc/mytruck.jpg

FishFood
10-15-2007, 20:09
I don't want to buy a "cheap" truck then put $1K in maintence needs into it replacing all the fluids, filters, cracked hoses, worn shocks, brakes, etc. Then there's the life expectancy for major systems like the tranny and engine. One of those goes out and there goes all that cash you "saved" when buying this great deal.

Id much rather buy a cheap truck and put $1k into it makign it road worthy. But, that's a matter of opinion. $30k is alot of money, but can you put a price on peace of mind?

Of course, if I had $35 grand for a vehicle Id probably reverse my statements real fast :D

mitsuguy
10-15-2007, 21:15
you have a very wide variety of vehicle style you have picked out, so wide, it's hard to pick something...

from a reliability standpoint, your import brands are more reliable... I personally love the Lexus IS models - styling, performance, etc... The trucks, well, Dodge is horrible in terms of reliability, and all 1500 Chevys have a serious achilles heel - the front end never lasts much past 50k without needing ball joints, idler arms, and tie rod ends... Nothing specific bad about the newer Fords... The Toyota Tundra is worth a drive, wow, they drive awesome... My brother bought one as a work truck and has severely overloaded both its towing capacity and bed capacity and its driven well even loaded 10% past its limits (which are high to start)... The thing is pretty damn quick too, and a factory warrantied supercharger is/will be available and make over 500 hp...

But don't buy a truck unless you are going to use its carrying capacity. It's a waste of gas and to me they are a pain in the ass to drive everyday...

Car wise, well, you made some good selections, you pretty much can't go wrong with any of them... The IS250 has plenty of power, but the IS350 hauls ass... the G35 coupe is a good drive too, and both import models are quite reliable...

marchand
10-15-2007, 21:48
If your going to get a truck I hear you can get a gas engine with a transmission built for the diesels. Why would you want to do this? Because a gas engine will never wear out a trany built for a diesel.

CrzyJay456
10-15-2007, 21:49
If you need any kind of space don't buy the G35. I bought a 350z when they first came out (g35 is almost the same) and they have very little room. A friend did have a g35...nice but no room. Guess it all depends on what you want it for. Personally I like the ability to haul gear and have a fast/fun vehicle to drive so I traded the 350 for a Mercedes ML55. You can never go wrong with a truck though.

he was looking at a g35 sedan, lots' of room compared to any 2 door, especially that tiny 350z

DevilDiver
10-15-2007, 22:56
http://www.mabank.net/images/1974-ford-pinto-1.jpg

Ford Pinto For Sale

My neighbor has the following vehicle sitting in his yard:

1973 Ford Pinto
Hatchback/Wagon
Baby Blue in color

It has four flat tires but otherwise it's in surprisingly great shape. I don't know how many miles are on it. The motor is not locked up.
You will definitely need a flatbed trailer to take it home.
http://www.mabank.net/images/1974-ford-pinto-3.jpg

My neighbor wants it gone. Make an offer and come and get it.
Located north of Mabank, Texas, which is about an hour southeast of Dallas.
Call Bobby at 903-880-1112 for more information.

:smilie39:

datamunk
10-15-2007, 23:51
to who posted about the frontier, i hate mine. but, its not just for dumb reasons. im sure its in regards to being used and the person before me (even tho i bought it only 3 years old with like 30k miles). the problem is, if im on highway and goin over 65 or 70, it whistles at me randomly. no way to stop or know when it will happen... another thing is my belts ALL suck. its SO noisy. can prolly have em tightened to fix it

my biggest reason: its small, and a 4 cylinder, and when i gun it, i slow down. im used to a v8 4.6L in my '94 thunderbird. thing had speed and power ;P also, if i put 2 peoples dive gear (4 steel 100s) in my bed, then it sags... how puss is that.

i dont know how much diving i will do. i love to dive, dont get me wrong, but, i will be fresh out of college and honestly, my priorities will be starting a career and a family, with efforts to enjoy diving.

the money isnt mine, its actually a deal i have with my father for graduation. i like trucks, i love them. i think the newer silverados are orgasmically sexy. however, i dont think they are rightly practical. they dont get that great of gas mileage. although, they are better. in fact, i think its pretty close to the is350, around 20-24city each i think (maybe 18 for the silverado)

so, i dont plan on hauling that much gear around. and i sure as hell wouldnt put it in a lexus or g35. :P so, worst comes to it, ill cash out for a decent older used girl truck (fronteirs). HOWEVER, the 2005 and higher frontiers are a lot beefier than mine.. but im not complaining too much, i didnt have to buy it but man, they did get such a good look after 04 ;P

so... i dunno.

to who has a is350, isnt the only diff between 250 and 350 the engine? i was interested in the 250awd but i dunno. will have to see. do you have the voice activated navi system? do u like it if so?

ive done so much research lately, i cant really remember but isnt the is250/350 the ones that when you start, the needles for the consoles light from interior to tip and do a rotation? (not a determining factor but, mighty sexy look to it, as far as the colours)

hah

lots of replies on this one ;)

MxDiver
10-16-2007, 00:02
Out of the choices presented I voted for the Silverado, I owned trucks in the past, they are great if you have to haul stuff all the time, if you don’t, and you don’t want to be limited in space I found that an SUV is the best compromise. We just got a Jeep Liberty; it has plenty of cargo capacity for our needs. When I am in a road trip and I have to stop somewhere overnight I don't have to worry about having to unload the gear since everything is locked up inside the vehicle, and I can bring 4 friends along for the ride. It also has a 5,000 lbs towing capacity, which once again is more than enough for towing the 18’ boat or the pair of seadoos. If you need more room or towing capacity something like a Tahoe may fit you.

Aussie
10-16-2007, 08:32
Why would you bother with a Lexus or an Infiniti?

You live in a country where you can purchase internationally respected sports cars very very cheap.

Over here $35,000 does not get you much. I noticed the Nissan Frontier which we have over here (called a Navara). My mate bought his brand new top of the range Navara and it cost him around $50,000usd.

I had a quick look on ebay to get an idea of what I would buy with your $35,000. this is what I liked:

2004 BMW M3 SMG with 13,000m buy now for $28,500
2002 Porsche 911 Carrera with 21,000m currently at $32,600
2006 Land Rover LR3 V8 with 20,000m at $30,000I threw the Land rover in cause they are great for throwing in your dive gear in the back and get off the road exploring.

Remember the next time you see a new Pontiac GTO, its made in Australia!

Then again $35,000 is alot of money to waste on a car so maybe use half and the other half in buying property or maybe a holiday. Maybe a dive holiday around the remote exotic locations before you settle down and start a career and or family.

Just my 5 cents worth.

Aussie

datamunk
10-16-2007, 08:39
well, diving is an experience and i am not one to spend thousands on a trip just to say ive dove in x place... ive traveled a lot and dove in many places so, that doesnt strike my fancy...

property i have $$ invested from a while ago to put a down payment etc.

also, i AM a 22 year old male, will be 23 when i graduate, and ive lost my license twice when iw as 16 and 17 (i had a heavy foot) and so now, my insurance is $2000 a year. so, will be high no matter what i go with, much less a porsche or a land rover ;P ps, i think land rovers are ugly unless they are the really new models

mitsuguy
10-16-2007, 08:39
to who has a is350, isnt the only diff between 250 and 350 the engine? i was interested in the 250awd but i dunno. will have to see. do you have the voice activated navi system? do u like it if so?

I was extremely close to buying an IS350 recently... The fact I have no car payment right now won out though. I did lots of research. I have owned two, and my family has owned many Lexus' in the past, so I am a little biased. My current SC400 has 190k miles on it, has had maintenance and wear items replaced on it only, and it runs and drives like new... I was looking for a newer designed coupe or small, sporty 4 door, and nothing touches the IS350 in its class. The rest of the small sporty 4 doors are either bigger (G35 sedan), or slower (Accord). I wouldn't even think of buying an american car. The Dodges are junk (and huge) - we are constantly seeing the Magnum/Charger/300 in for repair, and I've even had two customers complain of issues even the dealer can't solve on newer (less than 15k mile cars) Ford has nothing to offer in this category at all, and Chevy has big 4 doors too... The new Altima ~was~ promising, until I found out it and it's Maxima big brother are staying front wheel drive (I own a 98 Maxima and its great, I just am not a fan of FWD anymore)...

As far as IS250 vs IS350 goes, you are right, the only difference is the engine. It's a 100 hp difference though, and it is definitely noticeable. If you get an IS250, don't bother with AWD unless you live in a snowy state, it just makes the car slower. The traction and anti skid control are amazing on the newer cars so much that it's not needed unless you are in a snowy environment or are modding the car...

creggur
10-16-2007, 10:07
[quote=datamunk;75170]
If you get an IS250, don't bother with AWD unless you live in a snowy state, it just makes the car slower. The traction and anti skid control are amazing on the newer cars so much that it's not needed unless you are in a snowy environment or are modding the car...

I would disagree with your opinion of AWD. While it does eat some horsepower in the drivetrain the safety benefits can be realized in most environments. My Audi has full time AWD and it is a blessing in the summer here when it rains every day.

While the electronic traction control systems are very effective they work by either retarding the timing, or activating the ABS system, or both. So if for example you wanted to take your car to a track event, run an autocross, or just feel what the car can actually do it's nice to be able to turn off the ESP/ASR and let the AWD do what it's designed to do. Provide superior traction and handling without activating the brake system, or dumping the revs.....JMHO..

MSilvia
10-16-2007, 10:41
All Silvia was trying to say was dont buy what you dont need. I lived in "Cattle Country" East Texas for 15 years. I noted one thing... the big expensive trucks were almost always for show. Never got worked. The smart rancher, or farmer always had some old work horse of a truck.
Well summed up FishFood. I noticed the same thing when I lived in West Texas, and have seen the same thing here with soccer moms driving Hummers. No offense intended to any ranchers or farmers with nice trucks... the borrowed expression doesn't have anything to do with either hats or cattle back east. It's just a euphemism for trying to look like something you're not.

I just meant to say that if you're just hauling dive gear and the occasional sofa, you don't need a giant payload capacity, and buying a huge truck when you have student loan debt and no practical need for a large truck strikes me as... well, something I wouldn't do. Obviously, that's not an important consideration for the OP. He's a truck lover, so as I said initially, our priorities are probably different. Nothin' wrong with that.

mitsuguy
10-16-2007, 11:43
I would disagree with your opinion of AWD. While it does eat some horsepower in the drivetrain the safety benefits can be realized in most environments. My Audi has full time AWD and it is a blessing in the summer here when it rains every day.

While the electronic traction control systems are very effective they work by either retarding the timing, or activating the ABS system, or both. So if for example you wanted to take your car to a track event, run an autocross, or just feel what the car can actually do it's nice to be able to turn off the ESP/ASR and let the AWD do what it's designed to do. Provide superior traction and handling without activating the brake system, or dumping the revs.....JMHO..

Don't get me wrong, I love AWD, but unless you are a track junky, it's not needed... I've owned 4 AWD cars in my life and they are great for track cars, drag racing, stuff like that... The only thing an AWD car does better than a RWD car is accelerate in low traction situations... I never read anything about racing in any of the posts, so in this situation, unless living in a snowy state, AWD would be a waste of money and is not as fun of a car to drive (in comparison to a RWD 250 or even better, 350)

You tell me - 205 hp AWD or 305 hp RWD - which would you choose?

mike_s
10-16-2007, 11:54
something two years old so you don't pay the 30% depreciation let some other poor schlub do it...The most expensive part of buying a new car isn't the maintenance its the depreciation use the left over $10k to go on a REALLY nice dive trip

I agree with this 100%.

My Tahoe new was $38,000 (window sticker). I bought it used about 1.5 years old for $25k letting someone else take the "off the lot" depreciation. The Tahoe is a great dive vehicle as you can put 4 people, all their tanks and their gear in the back. Get a Husky-Liner for the rear carpet area and your carpet never gets wet and keeps down the wet musky smell from wet carpet.

Not sure how far your daily commute is, but long ago I bought a Honda Accord the same way. (bought 1 year old). I've been using it to drive to work now for 13 years because it gets 30mpg and Tahoe might get 16mpg. It's old, but the motor runs like it did when it was new, so why sell it when it's not worth much anymore and serves as a great commute vehicle.

It's really nice having more than one vehicle for this purpose.

Did you consider the Acura line of vehicles? They are really nice also. We've got a Acura 3.2TL for the wife. that is a sweet car.

http://www.mabank.net/images/1974-ford-pinto-1.jpg

Ford Pinto For Sale

My neighbor has the following vehicle sitting in his yard:

1973 Ford Pinto
Hatchback/Wagon
Baby Blue in color

It has four flat tires but otherwise it's in surprisingly great shape. I don't know how many miles are on it. The motor is not locked up.
You will definitely need a flatbed trailer to take it home.
http://www.mabank.net/images/1974-ford-pinto-3.jpg

My neighbor wants it gone. Make an offer and come and get it.
Located north of Mabank, Texas, which is about an hour southeast of Dallas.
Call Bobby at 903-880-1112 for more information.

:smilie39:

See if he'll let you sink it at your local dive site. he might get a kick out of that and having 'bragging rights' that his car is now a reef.

mitsuguy
10-16-2007, 12:02
2006 Land Rover LR3 V8 with 20,000m at $30,000Couple problems with your suggestions. The BMW is a nice car, fun to drive, but if you plan on keeping it for a few years, it is one of the lesser reliable sports cars out there. Great car, lots of maintenance costs (after the initial 50,000 miles free). The Porsche 911 is a great car, same high costs of maintenance, but a great car. I'd save and get the turbo model though. Land Rover - biggest piece of junk on the road... They are great when new, but even then, they have the absolute worst reliability and problems per vehicle rating of ANY car made today. Hell, KIA has a better rep than Land Rover...

RoadRacer1978
10-16-2007, 12:37
Get what you want. I have no opinion and what I would get may be different that what you want.

creggur
10-16-2007, 14:28

Don't get me wrong, I love AWD, but unless you are a track junky, it's not needed... I've owned 4 AWD cars in my life and they are great for track cars, drag racing, stuff like that... The only thing an AWD car does better than a RWD car is accelerate in low traction situations... I never read anything about racing in any of the posts, so in this situation, unless living in a snowy state, AWD would be a waste of money and is not as fun of a car to drive (in comparison to a RWD 250 or even better, 350)

You tell me - 205 hp AWD or 305 hp RWD - which would you choose?

I understand where you are coming from, and I chose a 350hp(400 with mods) AWD so that kind of covers it :smiley20:....

Aussie
10-17-2007, 04:05
2006 Land Rover LR3 V8 with 20,000m at $30,000Couple problems with your suggestions. The BMW is a nice car, fun to drive, but if you plan on keeping it for a few years, it is one of the lesser reliable sports cars out there. Great car, lots of maintenance costs (after the initial 50,000 miles free). The Porsche 911 is a great car, same high costs of maintenance, but a great car. I'd save and get the turbo model though. Land Rover - biggest piece of junk on the road... They are great when new, but even then, they have the absolute worst reliability and problems per vehicle rating of ANY car made today. Hell, KIA has a better rep than Land Rover...

Reliability and problems per vehicle rating of ANY car????

Your Kidding!

Since the series 1 Land Rover was produced in 1948, 1.8 million Land Rovers have been made. 70% of these are still been used today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkHGysBc2-o

I would pick that BMW M3 over the rebadged Toyota (Lexus) everytime. I think the money I saved from the depreciation in the first year from the lexus I could service the BMW for 10 years. Why buy new when you can pick up something a couple of years old with little use for 2/3s the price????

I am surprised that there isnt much Diesel SUV's in the states? I think about every model over here has a Diesel engine option. Over 650 miles from 90litre tank in a Diesel Land Rover.....

Buy a Diesel duel cab. Heaps of torque to tow anything. Runs on a oily rag. Heaps of room for people and dive gear. Wont get a speeding ticket as much. You will have money left over to buy more dive gear!

Aussie

UCFKnightDiver
10-18-2007, 13:35
Dodge Ram Mega Cab w/ Hemi and a 4x4 or a turbo diesel

UCFKnightDiver
10-18-2007, 13:37
in the american truck category motor trend tested them out on various aspect chevy silverado best dodge 2nd best, and ford worst !!!! dont buy ford

cyclone
10-18-2007, 16:38
Ever since I stayed with trucks. And my first vehicle is a truck. For somewhat reason a car don't give you as much as look and it's use. With truck you can always haul, tow, and go off road. I am an outdoor person, so everything I do with my truck is a breeze. I have owned Chevy Silverado my first one, Ford F150 didn't like it so much, Toyota tundra gave me chills, it's awesome. Now I drive Nissan TITAN my favorite, it's the best truck I have owned. Very good on gas mileage 22mpg, you can't get that on a truck. But because of the transmission set up, it can. Can tow a 10,000 lbs capacity. Almost twice as better than Tundra. As an Engineer I did my homework regarding trucks and ended up with this.

FishFood
10-18-2007, 16:56
in the american truck category motor trend tested them out on various aspect chevy silverado best dodge 2nd best, and ford worst !!!! dont buy ford

LOL! MotorTrend, what a joke. What were the requirements? COmfy seat and 8 cup holders?

cyclone
10-18-2007, 17:05

LOL! MotorTrend, what a joke. What were the requirements? COmfy seat and 8 cup holders? Yep, I agree. Sometimes you have to drive them, feel them, and test them. Just like I said, I have the credibility of giving the review because a drove them.

cyclone
10-18-2007, 17:10
Actually, there is a lot of things this people in the car industry don't tell you. Sometimes, they make the car to fail within certain time and years you own it so that when it breaks it's time to get another one. So, beware...It is strategically performed. Most American cars does this, I hate to admit it.:smiley5:

UCFKnightDiver
10-18-2007, 21:40
ahh not quite it was a real test, not comphy seats lmao, everything from towing, off roading, pick up, speed, stopping, and more the rankings were 1st nissan titan, 2nd toyota tundra, 3rd chevy silverado, 4th dodge ram, and last ford f150

FishFood
10-18-2007, 21:43
ahh not quite it was a real test, not comphy seats lmao, everything from towing, off roading, pick up, speed, stopping, and more the rankings were 1st nissan titan, 2nd toyota tundra, 3rd chevy silverado, 4th dodge ram, and last ford f150

Ok, Ill bite. I wanna read this test. Can you provide a link? Ill search google I guess...

mitsuguy
10-18-2007, 21:49

i'd switch the toyota and the nissan, but thats the order I would buy trucks if I had to go down the line... dodge and ford are a toss up on the low side though too...

my brothers tundra rocks... the titans are nice too, but with the features, I think the toyota would be the better off roader...

scuba Widow
10-18-2007, 22:39
to who posted about the frontier, i hate mine. but, its not just for dumb reasons. im sure its in regards to being used and the person before me (even tho i bought it only 3 years old with like 30k miles). the problem is, if im on highway and goin over 65 or 70, it whistles at me randomly. no way to stop or know when it will happen... another thing is my belts ALL suck. its SO noisy. can prolly have em tightened to fix it

my biggest reason: its small, and a 4 cylinder, and when i gun it, i slow down. im used to a v8 4.6L in my '94 thunderbird. thing had speed and power ;P also, if i put 2 peoples dive gear (4 steel 100s) in my bed, then it sags... how puss is that.

i dont know how much diving i will do. i love to dive, dont get me wrong, but, i will be fresh out of college and honestly, my priorities will be starting a career and a family, with efforts to enjoy diving.

the money isnt mine, its actually a deal i have with my father for graduation. i like trucks, i love them. i think the newer silverados are orgasmically sexy. however, i dont think they are rightly practical. they dont get that great of gas mileage. although, they are better. in fact, i think its pretty close to the is350, around 20-24city each i think (maybe 18 for the silverado)

so, i dont plan on hauling that much gear around. and i sure as hell wouldnt put it in a lexus or g35. :P so, worst comes to it, ill cash out for a decent older used girl truck (fronteirs). HOWEVER, the 2005 and higher frontiers are a lot beefier than mine.. but im not complaining too much, i didnt have to buy it but man, they did get such a good look after 04 ;P

so... i dunno.

ive done so much research lately, i cant really remember but isnt the is250/350 the ones that when you start, the needles for the consoles light from interior to tip and do a rotation? (not a determining factor but, mighty sexy look to it, as far as the colours)

hah

lots of replies on this one ;)

As a woman and a mother of a child about your age...I would have to say forget about flashy and get what fits your need best. If you get a less expensive(notice I said less expensive not cheap)vehicle, you should be able to use the rest of the money as a good size down payment on a house which in turn will cut down your monthly house payment, which will then allow you to save the money on your own to buy that dream car.

In your post you state the following (dont get me wrong, but, i will be fresh out of college and honestly, my priorities will be starting a career and a family,) this would be a great statement if you actually were thinking about it in that context. Just starting out in the "real" world you need to think about the things that you need and not so much about the things you want. A nice flashy car is great, but not very comfortable to sleep in.

I will stop being a mother now, and will tell you that we had a Dodge and the transmission are awful in them.

UCFKnightDiver
10-19-2007, 01:30
yea look at motor trend its a big help

UCFKnightDiver
10-19-2007, 01:31
oh yea and fish food it may have been popular mechanics i cant remember but it was one of the two

UCFKnightDiver
10-19-2007, 01:38
http://forums.caranddriver.com/auto/board/message?board.id=6&message.id=72249#M72249 here is the an article that gives you some idea but.. not the article

redneckdiver52
10-19-2007, 07:12
Better get yourself a truck so you can haul around your dive gear. Don't want to buy a new car and then dump a bunch of wet gear in your new car smell trunk.

BUY A TRUCK!:smiley20:
I just happen to own a Dodge and so I am partial to Dodge trucks.

FishFood
10-19-2007, 07:20
http://forums.caranddriver.com/auto/board/message?board.id=6&message.id=72249#M72249 here is the an article that gives you some idea but.. not the article

Thank You. Ill read that tonight.

Oh, BTW, speaking of Dodge's Horrible transmissions. What's the deal with their new lifetime warranty? There's gotta be a catch, but I cant seem to find one anywhere... That would be a big plus in ownership...

culu
10-19-2007, 08:49
I love Chevy's and am biased as a result. I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe with 144,000 miles and it is still running every bit as strong as day one with no problems. I think that speaks volumes about the quality of the product.

reservecops
10-19-2007, 09:00
Take five or six grand, buy yourself a nice, clean, used vehicle (you don't NEED all the fancy 40 gig hard drives and pop-up nav screens), and then put the $30,000 you save into a nice mutual fund. In 35 years, you'll be glad you did.

cyclone
10-19-2007, 15:10
Take five or six grand, buy yourself a nice, clean, used vehicle (you don't NEED all the fancy 40 gig hard drives and pop-up nav screens), and then put the $30,000 you save into a nice mutual fund. In 35 years, you'll be glad you did. I agree, actually the factory price on my Titan is $30,000. But because of finding myself a good deal, I have waited for the best opportunity. Bought it on the 4th of July sale, bought the one that is last stock, bought the one with tiny dent on bumper and I save $10 grand for real. I fixed the tiny dent, so I bought what everybody bought with $10,000 less. Then I bought another motorcycle. Keeeewwwl.

This is my Titan- Good for hauling Army Gear

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q67/derick_sharpeye/titan11.jpg

Towing my 2 motorcycle on truck bed and a 8X12 UHaul, total haul weight 9,500lbs from Maryland to Texas.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q67/derick_sharpeye/titan12.jpg

And of course for Towing my 25 footer RV. With my wife by the way.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q67/derick_sharpeye/titan13.jpg

sudnit5
10-19-2007, 15:21
My father has a Titan and it is a great truck. Drives and looks really nice.

Suther2136
10-19-2007, 15:39
I'd take the $35K and invest it. Cars are a fleeting joy and a long term pain. Cash savings is too hard to come by these days, put a stake in your future and keep the wheels you have for a bit longer. Resist the urge to blow the whole wad.

Foo2
10-19-2007, 15:41
I know I'm a girl....but what about a Pathfinder. It has the pull power of a truck, yet can haul a lot of people with the 3'rd row seating. Also, it has storage room in the back for your gear. Just a thought.

cyclone
10-19-2007, 15:56
I know I'm a girl....but what about a Pathfinder. It has the pull power of a truck, yet can haul a lot of people with the 3'rd row seating. Also, it has storage room in the back for your gear. Just a thought. It's a nice SUV, my wife is going to get that once she's done with her car. Yep, to think it is made by Nissan. Nice choice...:smiley20:

nizutz
10-19-2007, 16:37
Trucks are great my friend. I bought a small truck first and now Im wanting a full sized pickup. You can do anything with them.

dludwig
10-19-2007, 19:50
my dive buddy just bought a new Chevy HRC. Can't wait to take it on a scuba trip. My old van won't make too many more :smiley36:

datamunk
10-19-2007, 20:05
well, i realize you guys are all divers and this is a dive forum, but, im not goin to pretend all i care about is diving. yea, i love it, yea i did it for work. however, im not centering my life around it now nor will i in the future. i plan to live in the suburbs etc, dunno. to buy a vehicle for diving alone seems silly to me.

i do like trucks, however, i get pissed off as it is trying to park my nissan fronteir because its what, 5" longer than a car? whenever i drive my moms f150 i realize how much of a pain in my arse it is.

so, im slowly ruling trucks out, just because working in a major city in one wont be very fun trying to park and maneveur. as for a down payment on a house, im a parents worst nightmare. once i graduate in a year, im movin back to atlanta to live with my mom for a year or two (the house has two master bedrooms, i had the upstairs one) and its a 30 min drive from atlanta, in which ill work and save all of my money except for some here and there, and helping with bills at the house. so my down payment for my house will be very good.

im pretty sure im between the is350 or250 or the chevy. ive had a ford, and it broke down a LOT in pathetic ways (windows stop workin, lights stop working inside, engine trouble) and my moms pickup does the same. they are both '94s so im assuming they changed their quality but still.

the g35 is nice, but, not nice enough. maybe im wrong for wanting to get the best out of a free deal, and you all do make strong arguments, but im already invested heavily and what not. so, i will spend majority of the $$ i have available on a new nice car so (like someone said) i dont have the headaches.. or rahter not NEW NEW but, "newish" ;P

mitsuguy
10-19-2007, 21:19
if you are down to those three, get the IS350 and don't look back... do you really need every little bell and whistle? to me, the refinement of the 6 cyl in the IS350 is worth losing nav and whatnot on the 250...

i still urge you to stay away from the chevy truck... if one has 50,000 or more miles on it, I can make a list of things I know are wrong with it without even looking at it...

pnevai
10-19-2007, 21:33
FYI oil was up to 90 per barrel (All time record prices) before it closed at over $88. Analysts predict that it translates to around $4.00 per gallon come summer. It means $100 + fill ups at the gas station for an average truck.

FishFood
10-19-2007, 21:49
Have you considered a wagon, or is that out of the question? They can really haul butt and still get good gas milage.

mitsuguy
10-19-2007, 21:58
FYI oil was up to 90 per barrel (All time record prices) before it closed at over $88. Analysts predict that it translates to around $4.00 per gallon come summer. It means $100 + fill ups at the gas station for an average truck.

wow, bad time to own a truck that gets 20 or less mpg highway...

my 93 lexus gets 25-27 on the highway and 20ish around town and its 14 years old... the new ones are the same or better... same goes for most mid to small cars on the market... many are way better even, but I'd sacrifice a little for a little more style... also, think resale value... those chevy trucks are horrid for resale...

scuba Widow
10-19-2007, 22:04

I always say my Ford Explorer gets gallons to the mile rather than miles to the gallon.

datamunk
10-19-2007, 22:39
hahaa gallons to the mile, nice! and yea, im not much for wagons or anythin. im also goin to test drive some of the ES series of lexus, see whats up. but yea.. the only thing that sucks about a lexus is i beleve they are the 97octane? either way, its not the unleaded im used to payin for so that will be more expensive but, oh welllll