PDA

View Full Version : Fins

GlockGabe
10-15-2007, 00:21
Hey everyone! My wife and I are moving towards getting our certification, and we are going to stop by Scuba Toys this Saturday and buy our personal gear and sign up for the class. I am looking at buying the Aeris Velocity Fins, and I think my wife is looking at them too. Has anyone tried these particular fins before? Any + or - with them? Does anyone have any fin recommendations?
I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

chewyjr15
10-15-2007, 00:31
wrong place it shoudl be posted on the mask fins section not junior diver

Hidreck
10-17-2007, 01:12
Hey everyone! My wife and I are moving towards getting our certification, and we are going to stop by Scuba Toys this Saturday and buy our personal gear and sign up for the class. I am looking at buying the Aeris Velocity Fins, and I think my wife is looking at them too. Has anyone tried these particular fins before? Any + or - with them? Does anyone have any fin recommendations?
I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Yes I have used the Velocity and I did not like them. It felt like I was kicking hard to get going. If I was moving it was so so, but if I slowed down or stoped it was hard to get going.

Now I ended up with Bio Fins, I allmost forget I have fins on under the water, good power and very ez kicking moveing or not.

NitroWill
10-17-2007, 07:22
ScubaToys has a pool so bring your bathing suit and try several pairs on and get what feels and works best for you!

Zenagirl
10-17-2007, 07:36
NitroWill is absolutely right. Plan to spend some time in their pool and I'd say try on EVERY fin in the store before you decide. Please don't decide on looks and how it fits on dry land, it's how they feel and perform in the water that's critical.

Netsloth
10-17-2007, 08:02
If they have them, try OMS Slipstreams!

floater
10-17-2007, 09:37
OMS slipstreams are good fins, and especially popular in tech circles. Biofins are popular too, but less so among tech divers (true for all split fins).

If you intend to become a serious diver and learn to frogkick and so forth, then go with the OMS fins or similar. For a vacation diver just out to have some fun the biofins are probably easier and more comfortable.

BSea
10-17-2007, 10:06
I have the mares quattro fins. There's a reason they have been a best seller for over 10 years. Then I'd get spring straps.

mitsuguy
10-17-2007, 10:55
i've found recommendations for fins are extremely varied... I like my Tusa Zooms - they work great for me... however, there might be better out there, I tried a limited selection before buying...

best bet is to try them, as recommended already and see what works best for you...

mulefeathers
10-17-2007, 12:07
I second the Tusa Zooms. I have used ScubaPro Twin jets and Mares Avanti Quattro.

GlockGabe
10-18-2007, 21:09
Thanks everyone for your excellent advice! My wife and I are heading to Scuba Toys this Saturday, so I will make sure that we pack our swimsuits, so we can do some serious fin selection in the pool.
L8er

mitsuguy
10-18-2007, 21:10
Thanks everyone for your excellent advice! My wife and I are heading to Scuba Toys this Saturday, so I will make sure that we pack our swimsuits, so we can do some serious fin selection in the pool.
L8er

let us know what ya pick

Defman
10-18-2007, 21:24
I've got Zooms and Bio's, happy with both!

Hidreck
10-19-2007, 00:57
L8er

do let us know.

danielh03
10-19-2007, 01:35
Love my Bio fins, as does the wife. If your looking for speed though, might try something else.

Splitlip
10-19-2007, 20:30
In the past 4 years I have used/owned 11 sets of fins. I still have 7 of them.
Of the 7, I am keeping 4.
My keepers are Apollo Bio fins.
My original USD blades
One of 2 pair of Jets.
And a pair of oceanic caribes

My point..You can own more than 1 pair of fins.

If it were my 1st fin, I would say USD original Blades. Since they don't make them any more, the Mares Quatro is spposed to be similar.

USD is coming out with a new fin shortly. Wonder if anybody has any info?

GlockGabe
10-24-2007, 22:08
Hey everyone. My wife and I went to ST this past Sat. to sign up for classes and buy our personal gear. We both went with the Tusa X-Pert Zoom fins. Mine are silver, hers are red. We went to the local YMCA this evening to try them out(couldn't wait till Sat!). I thought the Zooms were awesome!

mitsuguy
10-24-2007, 23:03
good choice, I've been happy with mine

giortire
10-25-2007, 17:55
I would definately try the TUSA Xpert Zooms. I tried and love them, and my wife also uses them. One thing to look at when trying them is that the black fins are stiffer then the colored fins.

giortire
10-25-2007, 17:57
oops! sorry for the late response. I did not notice the second page:smiley29:

Soonerwink
10-25-2007, 18:11
The Zooms are excellent fins, now all you need is some spring straps. It never stops, there is always more equipment and accessories to check out. And I thought golf was an expensive hobby.

bobbo8420
11-12-2007, 13:06
Tried a pair of Tusa splits over the weekend and they were decent underwater, but it seemed like it was almost impossible to get back to the boat when I was swimming against the current.

Before that I was diving with Cressi spear fishing fins... they took a lot of effort to get going but they got you where you wanted to go... fast. Any good recommendations for something in the middle?

CompuDude
11-12-2007, 14:51
Tried a pair of Tusa splits over the weekend and they were decent underwater, but it seemed like it was almost impossible to get back to the boat when I was swimming against the current.

Before that I was diving with Cressi spear fishing fins... they took a lot of effort to get going but they got you where you wanted to go... fast. Any good recommendations for something in the middle?

Try SlipStreams, or Mares Quattros.

bobbo8420
11-12-2007, 15:46
Tried the Mares, but the foot pocket felt awkward... too big and my foot kept moving around inside.

CaribbeanDiver
11-14-2007, 12:19
wow, I had some X-pert Zooms but gave them to my son when he got certified. I have felt guilty ever since so I gave him a pair of Jets so I could sleep at night.
I just got some Slipstreams and on our Bonaire trip, I am going to let him try them out, if he likes em, I will get him a pair and we both can be happy campers.