PDA

View Full Version : What course to take after Open Water?

davieeeee
10-15-2007, 01:31
What course would you guys recommend taking after doing the Open Water and 10+ logged dives?

Would you suggest going to the Advanced straight away or a single course like Peak Performance Bouyancy (full single course).

I like the idea of trying different things in the Advanced, but I am not doing it for a card, Im doing it for confidence and experience, hence would I be better off doing a dedicated course and learning each module to extent instead of the single dive 'try outs' of the Advanced course?

On the other hand, would you just recommend I do more recreational dives and not bother with courses?

Ideally I would like to do every module by itself, but I am on a budget. So whats my best bang for my buck in terms of experience and learning (not just certification)

Zenagirl
10-15-2007, 08:31
Unfortunately, IMO the "best" course you could take is Rescue and you can't do that until you have AOW. Ultimately, only you can decide where you want to go from here and what might be the best course to take.

I know folks who took AOW soon after OW and felt that having extra supervised dives really helped them. We felt that we wanted to get the most out of AOW, so waited until we had about 25 dives post-OW and were glad to have the practical dive experience prior to AOW. We got a lot out of the PPB, the navigation, and the deep modules. We had our instructor do PPB first, then we continued to work on those skills throughout all of our training dives. Our instructor didn't have us do each skill for only 1 dive, instead he focused on one skill but expected us to practice PPB and navigation on every dive. We did Rescue about a year later and feel it's the best dive course we've ever taken.

That's what worked well for us. The trick is to find out what works best for YOU.

Charlotte Smith
10-15-2007, 08:45
We waited an entire year and just got comfortable with OW ...then we felt at ease with anything....after about 100 dives or so....maybe we are just more cautious than some because we would rathar have too much experience in OW before AOW partly because we wanted our future classes to be simple and not be trying to jump back to OW for something we failed to completely get.....mission accomplished.

loudgonzo
10-15-2007, 09:11
I like the idea of trying different things in the Advanced, but I am not doing it for a card, Im doing it for confidence and experience, hence would I be better off doing a dedicated course and learning each module to extent instead of the single dive 'try outs' of the Advanced course?

Ideally I would like to do every module by itself, but I am on a budget. So whats my best bang for my buck in terms of experience and learning (not just certification)

If you want an overall confidence and experience builder under the eyes of an insructor, I would do the AOW. If you have an idea of a specialty you'd like to take, then go that route, you will learn and apply the skills needed for that one specialty such as navigation, or search/recovery.

Confidence & experience-AOW
Experience/learning/challenge-Specialty

my 2 pennies:smiley20:

Have FUN!!

fire diver
10-15-2007, 09:41
It all depends on your instructor really. If he/she is really good and challenges you to improve, then AOW might be a good course. If it's just a general, bare-bones minimum you won't get anything from it.

In all truthiness, AOW is basically just a card. It only gives you a peak at the other courses you could take. If you want to learn, take the full classes. But sadly, you will run into operators down the road that won't let you dive if you don't have the AOW card.

I would recommend nitrox and PPB, then just go dive.

FD

Kingpatzer
10-15-2007, 10:24
If there's a NAUI shop near you, go take the rescue course. If not, take AOW and follow it up with rescue.

Having at least some minimal training on how to deal with emergencies is an essential skill to being a good buddy and a safe diver.

tbuckalew
10-15-2007, 12:30
Look at the AOW. It its designed to expand your diving horizons a bit and to give you a bit of insight into some of the other tracts in diving that might interest you. The additional experience is great for divers. Also, the rescue course would be a natural follow-on course to AOW. It really helps build your confidence in the water and makes anyone a better diver.

Bring the Payne
10-16-2007, 20:50
It's a toss up between rescue and aow. If you can take rescue I'd probably do that as you will probably get the most knowledge. Or take AOW for a better variety then Rescue.

DivingsInMyBlood
10-16-2007, 20:55
Go for advanced open water then go from there.

Boris42
10-16-2007, 21:13
It all depends on your instructor really. If he/she is really good and challenges you to improve, then AOW might be a good course. If it's just a general, bare-bones minimum you won't get anything from it.

In all truthiness, AOW is basically just a card. It only gives you a peak at the other courses you could take. If you want to learn, take the full classes. But sadly, you will run into operators down the road that won't let you dive if you don't have the AOW card.

I would recommend nitrox and PPB, then just go dive.

FD

This is the approach that Cshel and I have taken. Living in NC, most of the best "local" diving are the wrecks off the coast in 60 to 120 fsw. Getting the Nitrox cert just seemed to make the most sense.

Our instructor from our LDS is amazing. He's been diving since the early 70's first in the Navy then later as a recreational/tech diver. He just loves to teach. More often than not when we go on a club outting or just show up at the local quarry, he's there and eager to help us work on our skills. While I was doing my OW check out dives he gave Cshel a personal PPB lesson just for the fun of it.

After reading many of the dive boat websites from here it seems that most ask for an AOW card, but will accept a log with dives in the 100+ range. Now that we are Nitrox certified we're going out with our instructor and a group from the LDS next weekend for 4 dives from 65' to 115'. He's already told us he's going to work with us to make sure we're safe and have a good experience.

I don't really care about collecting cards just for the sake of having cards. At some point we may go ahead and make it official, but for now we're getting the best of both worlds without spending the extra cash that can go to new toys from, guess where????? Scubatoys!!!!!

Capt Hook
10-16-2007, 21:59
Take your time and dive; then after 25-50 dives do AOW.

jimmysdevoted
10-16-2007, 22:09
My daughter is going PADI advanced. It just seemed like a natural progression. Wnd the instructors have it spaced where yo get alot of OW practice as you do book learning for teh next stage.
I am not a OW certified. But I am taking the REscue first responder class and then the DAN DMT training. But we found that theer are speciality classes that you dont need diving for, but can keep you in an education loop.

It up to you, I just prefer the way we have it here with our isntructor sthat ahve much time for practice and progression for course work without it feeling hurried.

texdiveguy
10-16-2007, 22:55
What course would you guys recommend taking after doing the Open Water and 10+ logged dives?

Would you suggest going to the Advanced straight away or a single course like Peak Performance Bouyancy (full single course).

On the other hand, would you just recommend I do more recreational dives and not bother with courses?

IMO-- you should get in some additional dives prior to moving on to another dive class....your plate is full with new skills right now....get proficiant at what you have learned so for. 10 dives is just barley enought to say you have dove. To many new divers are PUSHED by instructors and shops to do the next level....slow down and enjoy diving for a while!!!

cheebaweebie
10-16-2007, 23:31
I agree in getting a few dives under your belt. hen hit the AOW with nitrox at the same time. Many dive shops will pacage deals and even throw in additional certs such as rescue, wreck, etc... as part of the deal.

RECDiver
10-17-2007, 19:51
You could take the NAUI Advanced/Nitrox combo course, or take the Advanced by itself, or the NAUI Scuba Rescue course. You will learn alot either way.

nubie1541
11-17-2007, 19:22
I have looked into AOW at several different shops, and they all say that you can choose any 4 (or 5) specialties. Are these the full courses that you would take if you wanted to try deep water or night or something?

I saw some posts that seem to indicate that AOW is a sampler that doesn't really go into depth in any area. Am I confused?

I have nitrox, but wonder about taking any of the others.

Soonerwink
11-17-2007, 21:14
I have heard it said and I agree IMO. Open water teaches you how not to get injured or die diving and AOW teaches you how to relax and enjoy diving more. I lot of new divers do not feel comfortable diving without an instructor or divemaster at first. If nothing else try and find a local dive club to get involved in and make some dives with some experienced divers. Most divers are always happy to help out new divers, we were all there once.

Xspect
11-18-2007, 19:25
For me it depends on the time of the year. The winter is you dont have a trip planned. Take nitrox !!!.... You dont have to get cold and wet. and you will always have it.

dannybot
11-21-2007, 21:48
I took the AOW right after OW, then started travelling and enjoying diving. My first trip was to Cozumel, and felt pretty good and safe, didn't get terrified away from the DM, like I saw many novices. Having taken the AOW, I felt more prepared to handle some situations that did occur on this trip that I hadn't been prepared for in OW.

I later took Rescue Diver, and while beneficial, I didn't get much from it, adn it doesn't influence my diving or understanding of diving and safety that much (I have had many other first responder type training and practice, as well as real world safety).

So I think nobody should shy away from AOW simply based on the number of dives he has, and would recommend prior to Rescue Diver.

msprzeor
11-25-2007, 00:20
I'm a new instructor, so I may not have as much experience as some others but here's my advice. I don't think you need to wait until you have 100 dives to take more classes. I do think it's a good ideal to do a couple dives on your own (with a buddy, but not a professional) to get a feel for what you are comfortable with or would like help with and go from there because there are a ton of specialties to choose from for your AOW. One I would definitely recommend to do sooner than others is the peak performance bouyancy like you had mentioned - it really helps with being more comfortable underwater with less effort and will make other specialties feel easier. As with most posts, I do agree that rescue is a definite after AOW - I think all divers should go through that course!
Good luck and happy diving!

tarheeldiver
11-25-2007, 10:42

IMO-- you should get in some additional dives prior to moving on to another dive class....your plate is full with new skills right now....get proficiant at what you have learned so for. 10 dives is just barley enought to say you have dove. To many new divers are PUSHED by instructors and shops to do the next level....slow down and enjoy diving for a while!!!
Good advice theres no better way to improve than getting out there and diving!!

cmburch
02-28-2008, 17:55
I got my NAUI first then about a month later I completed the PADI AOW on a 4 day boat dive at the Channel Islands. In between I did a few easy 30' dives in Monterey Bay, but I would have preferred to have the experience and knowledge I got from the PADI AOW first. It has been so long that I had forgotten about it and how much it has helped me in diving. These were the only ones offered, when I did it. Some things that have really helped me:
Navigation - I can get back to shore near where I came in and do not have to surface outside of the kelp line with a stringer of bleeding fish to spot my entry point and adjust my compass.
Night - I like fishing at night especially Halibut. Knowing limits and safety. Being sure of how to get back to the shore entry point.
Drift- very important with the currents and tides. It could make for a very hard swim or pull, and having to assist weaker divers.
Deep
Peak Performance Buoyancy
Boat

EuphoriaII
04-03-2008, 17:37
FD

I agree, my son and I took AOW immediately after OW and found it to be a great way to continue to build experience and confidence with supervised dives. Sort of a way to be a better diver than one just out of OW cert. Following that , we spent a weekend at a lake in Arkansas and did 6 dives over the weekend, further improving on things we learned in AOW (such as better bouyancy) and improving our confidence level.
Then we did our first boat/ocean dives in Florida.
With a little more experience, we plan to do the Rescue Course (maybe this summer but probably next), and then beginning Nitrox.

I would like to be better with Navigation in poor visibility conditions but thats something I work on every time I go to a local lake.

EuphoriaII
04-03-2008, 17:48
I have heard it said and I agree IMO. Open water teaches you how not to get injured or die diving and AOW teaches you how to relax and enjoy diving more. I lot of new divers do not feel comfortable diving without an instructor or divemaster at first. If nothing else try and find a local dive club to get involved in and make some dives with some experienced divers. Most divers are always happy to help out new divers, we were all there once.

I have a friend in Dallas who is OW certified over a year ago but never dove again. I told him I would come down there and we could go to CSSP. He said, 'Great idea, I'll call my instructor.' I considered reassuring him that he would be ok and that I can talk him through it. But I'm not an insturctor and I shouldn't be diving with a buddy that isn't comfortable with his own skills. He needs some more supervised diving and essentially was saying just that.