PDA

View Full Version : Are TX drivers, not divers, really that bad?

Cichlid
07-16-2007, 23:53
Why is it that I always see cars with TX plates doing crazy things? I
thought CA was bad! Do you guys just ship the bad drivers to AZ?smileys/smiley2.gif

94GTStang
07-17-2007, 00:11
I wonder the same thing. We have a bunch of Texans up here in Oklahoma and I always see them speeding around me or doing whatever they please. I thought I was the only one that ever noticed that ;)

ScubaToys Larry
07-17-2007, 00:13
You heard about the black boxes they installed in cars... much like planes. Records the last words before a crash. Throughout the country you hear "Oh my!!" "Aaaahhhh" and in texas, the most common recording is "Dude, hold my beer and check this out!"

Cichlid
07-17-2007, 00:16
That explains it!

94GTStang
07-17-2007, 01:01
hahaha...

No this explains it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBPJTK1YBvs

Joew
07-17-2007, 01:14
Why is it that I always see cars with TX plates doing crazy things?

I don't think it's just their driving.Texans are crazy in general. smileys/smiley36.gif

przeor
07-17-2007, 03:06
No where can be worse than Arizona- we get all the retirees in the winter and the rest of the year all the transplanted folks from other states must have been banned for crappy driving at home and sent out here. It's funny as we drive back from California we can tell where the AZ border is beacause we start to see all the slow driving sitting in the left land of the freeway.

Foo2
07-17-2007, 09:34
The TRUE Texans never move away! Funny video btw!
<DIV>Foo2</DIV>

FishFood
07-17-2007, 09:57
Texans are some of the bext driver IMO. It probably has something to do with the speed limits. Ive noticed texas' speed limits usually higher than on comperable roads in other states. It took me some time to adjust. Im lucky I didn't get a speeding ticket. Also, that might explain why you always see them speeding... They just aint use to your meak little limits http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

Vercingetorix
07-17-2007, 10:08
Why is it that I always see cars with TX plates doing crazy things? I thought CA was bad! As a native Californian, I resemble that remark. Being transplanted to Texas for several decades, I resemble that remark.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Actually, things have improved since 1978. When I first got here, I frimly believed that turn signals were optional equipment in Texas that nobdoy purchased. Nobody used them.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>My *REAL* intro to Texas drivers was while I was attending USAF Officer Training School in San Anton. I pulld upto a stop light, and the driver in the truck next to me offered me a shot from his bottle of whiskey that he held out to me. Real friendly lad...gotta give him credit for that.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I spent three years driving the German autobahn. I'm cruising at 110 mph and cars pass me like I'm standing still.</DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-17-2007, 10:57
I'm from Texas and yes, many Texas drivers are very bad. My brother just moved to California however and he tell me they are worse. If you want to see what really bad drivers are like, try Jamaica.

94GTStang
07-17-2007, 13:29
Panama drivers are pretty bad. No lines on the road and of course the traffic signs are mere suggestions

Dabaras
07-17-2007, 16:31
I think Indonesia may have the worst (or at least scariest) drivers. Three lanes, five cars across. Enough said.

Cichlid
07-17-2007, 18:30
There must be a lot of TX transplants living in Indonesia.smileys/smiley36.gif

94GTStang
07-17-2007, 18:31
There must be a lot of TX transplants living in Indonesia.smileys/smiley36.gif

ZING!

WaterRat
07-18-2007, 00:12
It's not the native Texans that drive bad. We all drive good.http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif It's the transplants from all over the world that you have to watch out for. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

Cichlid
07-18-2007, 00:17
People move to TX from other places? Really?smileys/smiley2.gif

przeor
07-18-2007, 00:26
Haven't you heard of work release programs? Where did you think they release them to?

Cichlid
07-18-2007, 00:29
Ahhhhhhh, ok.smileys/smiley2.gif

Joew
07-18-2007, 01:03
I think Manila has the worst drivers I've seen. Nobody there uses turn signals, nor do they follow any other traffic laws. They just honk. A lot.

przeor
07-18-2007, 02:11
That sounds like Phoenix, only if honking=shooting!

Joew
07-18-2007, 02:17
That sounds like Phoenix, only if honking=shooting!

That reminds me of one of my favorite bumper stickers.
"Keep honking a-hole, I'm reloading."

przeor
07-18-2007, 04:13
I prefer the license plate frame- My vehicle insured by Smith and Wesson.

TxHockeyGuy
07-18-2007, 13:06
I prefer the license plate frame- My vehicle insured by Smith and Wesson.

I can't remember which organization sent me this, I think it was either Gun Owners of America or the Second Amendment Foundation but they sent me a bumper sticker in a yellow diamond shape that said "Warning: Driver only carries $20 worth of ammunition". They also sent me a sticker for a window that said something to the effect of "This homeowner is armed, nothing inside is worth your life.". I gave the second sticker to a friend who was having problems with people breaking into his home. The breakins stopped.

cyclical
07-18-2007, 13:11
As said before...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Panama drivers are bad... really bad. </DIV>

EuphoriaII
07-18-2007, 16:25
Why is it that I always see cars with TX plates doing crazy things? I thought CA was bad! As a native Californian, I resemble that remark. Being transplanted to Texas for several decades, I resemble that remark.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Actually, things have improved since 1978. When I first got here, I frimly believed that turn signals were optional equipment in Texas that nobdoy purchased. Nobody used them.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>My *REAL* intro to Texas drivers was while I was attending USAF Officer Training School in San Anton. I pulld upto a stop light, and the driver in the truck next to me offered me a shot from his bottle of whiskey that he held out to me. Real friendly lad...gotta give him credit for that.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I spent three years driving the German autobahn. I'm cruising at 110 mph and cars pass me like I'm standing still.</DIV>
<DIV>Texas law enforcement is a lot more leinient (and I mean that in a good way). I can spend an entire weekend in N Dallas/ Frisco/Plano and nev er see a cop all weekend. I can drive 80 on the freeways and still get passed.</DIV>
<DIV>In my part of Oklahoma, there is a speed trap every 500 yards. A friends daughter got a ticket for no turn signal turning right onto a one way street (there was no other direction to go). We have no crime so they focus on minor traffic infringementshttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley7.gif</DIV>

Liv7301
07-18-2007, 17:24
I am originally from Western New York and have lived in Texas now for 5 years. A few interesting differences in both drivers and law enforcement:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>NYS seems to have much more active highway patroling. I have never seen as many state troopers in Texas as I do in one afternoon run down the NYS Thruway. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Texas drivers are just as rude as New York drivers, but they excuse everything they do by giving you the "Thank You" wave. In New York they wave but it's usually with a single finger and they most certainly are not saying thank you.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Texas does have higher speet limits in many situations and I have noticed myself speeding when I am in NY visiting because I am used to a higher limit.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Harshal
07-19-2007, 12:19
People move to TX from other places? Really?smileys/smiley2.gif
<DIV>Isn't ScubaToys enough reason to move to TX ?http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif</DIV>

Harshal
07-19-2007, 12:30
I certainly don’t agree that Texans are bad drivers worst I have seen are <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="&#111;n">Oklahoma</st1:State> &amp; <st1:State w:st="&#111;n"><st1:place w:st="&#111;n">Kansas</st1:place></st1:State>. They just don’t like to give you the side and would not let you pass and that is worst they would not speed and would not let you speed. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Definitely EuphoriaII is right Tx enforcement is lenient in good way <st1:State w:st="&#111;n">Kansas</st1:State> and <st1:State w:st="&#111;n"><st1:place w:st="&#111;n">Oklahoma</st1:place></st1:State> traffic tickets are like business for them. EuphoriaII I don’t think <st1:place w:st="&#111;n"><st1:State w:st="&#111;n">Oklahoma</st1:State></st1:place> does not have any crime, but cops rather would like to pull you over for simple traffic violation rather then chase a actual criminal.
And my friend my NY (Liv7301) is absolutely correct Texans would be rude and bad but they certainly will give you “Thank you” wave. I am in IA for work and lot of the time I give Thank you wave and I don’t think ppl even get here what the wave is for………….lol, they just give you a blank look when you give them “Thank you” wave. J

ocean_dreamer
07-19-2007, 12:35
hahaha...

No this explains it

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gifhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gifhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif</DIV>

Liv7301
07-19-2007, 20:19
hahaha...

No this explains it

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gifhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gifhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Oh my. That's just special. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley3.gif</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-21-2007, 17:25
hell with the george bush express way and all the tolls they have to drive like crazy folks..lol

Rascal1933
07-21-2007, 17:47
Hi Harshal, "I certainly don’t agree that Texans are bad drivers worst I have seen are <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:STATE w:st="&#111;n">Oklahoma</ST1:STATE> &amp; <ST1:STATE w:st="&#111;n"><ST1:PLACE w:st="&#111;n">Kansas</ST1:PLACE></ST1:STATE>."
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Ouch! What The?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>So that was you I ran into the ditch?
<DIV>Sorry ....I was almost to the dive site,and I wasputting my fins on.</DIV>
<DIV>Kinda hard to drive &amp; put dive gear on at the same time.</DIV>
<DIV>Hey,you have to have your priorities right? smileys/smiley3.gif</DIV>

Bill22
09-23-2007, 19:15
The TRUE Texans never move away! Funny video btw!
<DIV>Foo2</DIV>

Wow!!! Here I am thinking I was...after being born and raised there and everything. I already had to find a new home for my dog, sell my horse, saddle, my pickup, and all my guns... Now I'm not a "TRUE Texan" either.... I feel very depressed :-((

Course I do have a lot of new scuba equipment and I'm going diving in the Philippines next month for the second time this year.... I guess there are some advantages of living half way around the world... I think I feel better now ;-)

Video was funny... reminded me of my grandparents ;-)

Defman
09-24-2007, 08:45
I wonder the same thing. We have a bunch of Texans up here in Oklahoma and I always see them speeding around me or doing whatever they please. I thought I was the only one that ever noticed that ;)

I lived in OKC for one year... it would REALLY help if Oklahoman's would attempt to merge onto a freeway that is going 65+ at a speed somewhere close to that, instead of 45!!! Personally, I though the Kansas drivers were the worst in OK.

However, I will give credit where credit is due.. if I came up behind an Okie they would move over to let you by... not so in TX.

Bill22
09-24-2007, 09:15
However, I will give credit where credit is due.. if I came up behind an Okie they would move over to let you by... not so in TX.

I've had the opposite experience... I've always noticed when I'm home, how people will move over and let me pass. I had not experienced this anywhere else.

BTW in Florida where I lived for a long time a popular bumper sticker was "When I get old and retire, I'm going to move up north.... and drive real slow" :-)

Capt Hook
09-24-2007, 09:22
BAD drivers are in Florida!

dallasdivergirl
09-24-2007, 09:27
Honduran driving is an adventure!

greyzen
09-24-2007, 12:13
Texas drivers aren't that bad, you just have to understand their mindsets.
In Texas, being the first car is how a lot of drivers measure their self-worth...

The concept of slowing down to let someone on the road, or moving to allow merging happen, is an insult to their values and lives.

I have a sports car, so if I want to get on the highway I am required by unspoken Texas law, to break the speed limit sometimes up to almost 100mph just to be allowed into the ranks of the highwaymen.

I've had people glare and give me the finger when someone tries to merge on the highway and I slow down to let them in.

Just remember, in Texas... if someone pulls in front of you, they are worthy of nothing but cursing and shaking of fists... merging is for children... real men/women don't move for 'nobody'.

CrzyJay456
09-24-2007, 13:06
BAD drivers are in Florida!

and more so in south florida!!!

Illini_Fan
09-24-2007, 13:07
Since this thread has found new life, I'll throw my hat into the ring. Of the three states I've lived in, Texas was the only way to not require any sort of "rules of the road" test or driving test. They just took my previous license and off I went. In principal that might sound like a good approach, but in practicality, each state is different with regards to U-Turns, entering an intersection to make a left turn, making a right turn and actually staying in the far right lane (vs the middle or left lane) and so on. I don't know how many of the drivers in TX received their license in another state, but it seems like having all of us that arrived "late" (i.e. weren't born here) take a written exam when we first get our TX license; that might at least establish the playing field.

Texans (myself included) do like to speed. I think it stems from the fact that our state is so much larger than 48 of the other states -- we simply need to go fast to get from point A to point B.

I was amazed at how polite the Australian drivers were when I was over there. Outside of the fact that they all seemed to be going really, really slow (i.e. speed limit of 100km and they honored that); people actually followed signs and used indicators.

loudgonzo
09-24-2007, 13:43
Of all the places I've visited, Rome Italy tops the rest, well, actually ties with Sao Paulo. But it's bad. You might be pull up to a red light and think your first right? Wrong, by the time the light turns green there are dozens of mopeds already ahead of you, city buses literally inches away from your door, and the cross traffic is still in the middle of the street!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V76eC9NuaA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPpihEKJk5Y&mode=related&search=

loudgonzo
09-24-2007, 13:55
As for Texas drivers, you just have to understand where they're coming from and what they've been through:

I-35 from Dallas to Austin has been under construction since the days of Sam Houston and Jim Bowie.

The High Five has been finished for a year or so, however construction is still ongoing and HOV lanes are for aesthetics only.

Loop 12 is not actually a loop.

Northwest Highway is not a highway, and it changes names about 15 times.

635, let's not go there.

diverdad
09-24-2007, 19:14
You think Texans are bad go to Cancun talk about scary its pedal to the metal ar brakes locked up. And that was just the bus i was on. I am not a native born Texan but i got here as fast as i could.

georoc01
09-26-2007, 07:21
Clearly foreign drivers have it up on the US counterparts.

That said, Nobody here has obviously driven in Massachusetts. They have the worst drivers in the country (and yes, their retirees move to Florida, so its bad too).

THe biggest shock was going from NY to Oregon. Up in Oregon, they stop for yellow lights. When you are accustomed to 2-3 cars going through until the light turns red, when they all slam on their brakes, it really is an adjustment.

Of course, if you did that in NY in the wintertime, you would slide through the light anyways.

YellowfinKunkfish
09-26-2007, 07:42
We just moved here a little over a year ago. I was complaining recently about people passing me on the right shoulder (which is illegal in Mo.) and someone informed me that there are no *shoulders*, only *turn lanes* :smiley29:

And I was also told never, never, never stop on a yellow, and that it's okay to try and speed through the red if it just turned, and nobody's coming!?! :smiley5:

Rhonda

fire diver
09-26-2007, 08:46
I've noticed a change on the Texas highways lately. Used to be, I'd go south (I'm an Okie) and do about 5 over the limit. I'd get passed by almost everyone. Had to do about 10-15 over just to "go with the flow". Lately, doing 5 over I pass more people than I get passed.

Last sunday really took the cake though. Some crazy woman in a little silver car would come up behind me, so I would change lanes and let her pass. 10 minutes later, she was over in my lane and I had to pass her. Then she'd speed up, get right on my butt, till I let her by. Sure enough I'd be passing her again shortly. Round and round we went until she finally exited somewhere.

Now Jamaica, that's just crazy. And the highways I saw weren't much better than dirt roads. I guess honking passes for a turn signal there.

scuba Widow
09-30-2007, 12:25
As we say in Florida about the drivers...want idiots on the road just add water... but here in Tennessee we say...want idiots on the road just add Floridians... so Texas is not the only ones with problems.