PDA

View Full Version : ProPlugs

JugglingMonkeys
10-15-2007, 12:08
Has anyone used Doc's ProPlugs (proplugs.com)?

Do they work; do they help your ears to equalize?

Also, does ST stock them?

Thanks

mitsuguy
10-21-2007, 11:17
interesting theory... my ears work just fine the way they are underwater, I don't wanna go screwing that up....

Iceman
10-21-2007, 12:47
This is a question that arises every once in awhile. You can go to back posts to get more detail. Basically, yes they do help if your problem is physiological. If it is due to poor technique any assistance is minimal.

Doc's ProPlugs have a small hole in their center. That allows water pressure changes to be experienced more gradually by the eardrum. The plug itself helps keep the ear canal and drum warmer which some of us find helpful in cold water. By cold water I mean water temperatures below 50F, or so.

For suggestions on improving equalization technique try this:
Prevention of Middle Ear Barotrauma (http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/MEbaro.html)

For a workup to determine if you have a phsyiological problem you might try an ENT who is also a diver, or who is trained in hyperbarics.

BobbyWombat
10-21-2007, 13:02
I think ST sells them.

I have a buddy who uses them and thinks they are great. As mentioned, they are particularly good for cold water, since they help to keep your ears warm.

I've never tried them, but have known enough people that say they work. At $12, they are definitely worth a shot, if you are having trouble equalizing.

terrillja
10-21-2007, 13:45
Do a search on them, i have read a few threads about people who love them.

dludwig
10-21-2007, 14:26
I occasionally dive w/ a soon to be Divemaster & his girlfriend (who is learning to dive). She has all sorts of problems w/ her ears & had a pair of these last time they dove w/ us. She swears by them. :smiley20:

I am interested in trying a pair as I have problems w/ my left ear but I'm going to try some of the techinques at the Barotrauma site that was posted earlier.

wxboy911
10-21-2007, 14:43
I used to have trouble equalizing my right ear past 20 feet...Now that I have started using Doc Pro Plugs my deepest dive is 55 feet with no trouble. The not only help with equalizing but the keep most of the water out of your ears. I thought they were worth the little money they cost-It might be worth a try if you are having trouble clearing your ears.

scubamike
10-22-2007, 00:13
I have been using them for about 2 years. I bought like 5 pairs. They are quite expensive for a piece of silicon. I only use the right ear plug as that's the the only ear that get's infected.

They work wonders...but sometimes water still gets in. Regardless, I always wear them.

Make sure you get the right size.

Damselfish
10-22-2007, 18:35
they work well for me.