PDA

View Full Version : Foods to avoid before diving?

Cichlid
07-17-2007, 00:31
I asked this in the middle of another thread, decided to give it a new
home. I'm guessing some answers are obvious, but maybe some
aren't. I think Larry mentioned he got heartburn from diving, but I
think that was a result more from dryness. Do any of you have a
traditional pre dive meal? Better with an empty stomach?

cummings66
07-17-2007, 07:27
I eat normally so I don't think I could say there is a food to avoid. I have heard of divers avoiding greasy foods, but it doesn't affect me so I eat whatever I want.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What I do however is to limit how much I eat, I never dive with a stomach that's as full as I can pack it in. I do that more due to the lack of restrooms however.</DIV>

Queen
07-17-2007, 08:08
I skip really spicy and greasy foods before a dive, even though a chorizo breakfast burrito sounds fantastic right before a dive!smileys/smiley17.gif

Truthfully, for me it's that I get heartburn and am prone to seasickness so I have to be careful unless I want to spend the day feeding the fishes.

TAH 73
07-17-2007, 08:38
Avoid don't know but the last few dives I have enjoyed some Sushi http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gifbefore going for a dive.

I guess avoiding, well Sake.

jacewindu
07-17-2007, 11:53
nothing - eat, sleep, dive, right?
:)

Jason
07-17-2007, 12:04
Try to avoid stuff like Cold Greasy pork chops, warm beer, and licking the bottom of a old used up ashtray. If you do find it difficult to do and still choose to dive.... Let me know, I will bring my camera. Makes a good photo opportunity. Fish Love chum!!

TxHockeyGuy
07-17-2007, 14:47
After my last bratwurst cookout right before a dive it was generally agreed that was a bad idea to eat and then dive right after. If you only have one it isn't so bad, but we could have used a little more time between the eating and diving. I've also pigged out a little too much on fajitas before a dive and fed the fish that way too. So I guess the real moral is, everything in moderation.

the gooch
07-17-2007, 17:31
mmmmm, cold greasy pork chops.

texgal@heart
07-18-2007, 10:08
Eggs, orange juice and anything greasy. I generally try to have a bagel or something bready, light on the cream cheese. Also, I don't have my normal 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning. Drink lots of water.

fire diver
07-18-2007, 11:22
I typically prefer to dive on an empty stomach. But that goes for all physical activity for me.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

Vercingetorix
07-18-2007, 13:05
After my last bratwurst cookout right before a dive it was generally agreed that was a bad idea to eat and then dive right after. If you only have one it isn't so bad, but we could have used a little more time between the eating and diving. I've also pigged out a little too much on fajitas before a dive and fed the fish that way too. So I guess the real moral is, everything in moderation. But, David, those brats and fajitas were TASTY. I ate only one brat and a fajita, so I wasn't bothered too much. Littl belching, that's all. Moderation is the key.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I was looking forward to brats and fajitas the next day of Rescue at Athens. Woody bought pizza, so all-in-all, an excellent weekend. Oh, yeah, Rescue was fun too.</DIV>

downunder
07-18-2007, 20:05
Beans. I never seem to get the buoyancy right with the air in the dry suite!http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

Cichlid
07-18-2007, 20:06
Beans. I never seem to get the buoyancy right with the air in the dry suite!http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Your own personal dutch oven. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>

przeor
07-18-2007, 20:13
I usually just stick to cereal, pancakes, etc. I'll typically avoid greasy sausage/bacon before the dive. I've heard some acidic fruits aren't the best thing to eat prior to diving as well. I always to drink a lot of water as well before getting on the boat. Someone has to keep the ocean full!

downunder
07-18-2007, 20:53
Those big sardines in the can with the heads on and bones. The ones in the mustard sauce.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>YUCKhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley11.gif! I don't thinkI could eat that before, during or after a dive... Please tell me your kiddin'! :-)</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-19-2007, 16:00
A route 44 full throttle fury slush...from sonic.....didnt set well with me

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 14:56
Our local scuba park sells bratwurst. One belch in your reg is all it takes to understand the error of your ways. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Venio
07-20-2007, 22:46
I'm gonna vote for the beans and rice burrito. It may pose some potential hazards to fish, divers and your wetsuit.smileys/smiley11.gif

TommyB
07-20-2007, 23:26
First day of confined water classes, around lunch time went over to jack in the box, got that damn Spicy chicken sandwitch..

ACK, about an hr later,, It was either find me some pepcid, tums, or I have to stop for the day. I could hardly breath underwater the acid reflux was so bad from Jack's sandwitch. Managed to eat about 8 tums and finshed.

Let's just say the instructor learned something new to keep in his emergency "Save a Dive" kit.. Tums / otc Pepcid ..

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 11:15
I'm gonna vote for the beans and rice burrito. It may pose some potential hazards to fish, divers and your wetsuit.smileys/smiley11.gif
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Not to mention offsetting your buoyancy</DIV>

ScubaFrog
08-06-2007, 23:12
I too prefer to dive on an empty stomach. I have experienced real bad heartburn if I eat before the dive.
For me, Its only water to drink then water water water.:smilie39:

Black-Gorrilla
08-06-2007, 23:18
if i eat before i dive... my stomach feels weird... but not bad.
if i dont.. i tend to drink tons of wather... then i feel weird too... but kind of bad.
it's weird...
i do tend to eat cereal bars between dives... then for the second dive i feel so good!!

dallasdivergirl
08-06-2007, 23:25
i have to eat.
i need fuel for the engine. if i don't eat i am a total pain and whiney (oh wait that's the normal me).
i try to eat a decent breakfast at the hotel or resort otherwise, i normally pack enough clif luna & kashi bars for a family of four so i have backup.

DirtyWaterIL
08-07-2007, 00:27
Ive learned the hard way to skip mcdonalds breakfast before diving. If i don't, I have to hangout by the portopotty until it makes its way through or I' have a 50/50 chance of turning my drysuit into a giant air tight diaper.

CompuDude
08-07-2007, 00:46
Scuba Diving Magazine did an article on foods to avoid before diving about a year ago, if memory serves. It was very ironic that one of the top categories of food they recommended avoiding was raw food, as in Sushi (or those extra extra rare steaks, etc.) due to the risk of food poisoning.

The reason, of course, that it was so ironic was that mere days before the magazine arrived I missed a boat trip I had paid for (and had been looking forward to for months) because I had some bad sushi the night before.

Oy. That was not fun. I haven't been back to that restaurant since. Missing a dive to the oil rigs (and losing the money, since it was last minute) was the icing on the cake.

So I won't eat sushi the night before a dive trip anymore.

Aside from that, it doesn't seem to matter what I eat before I dive. I prefer bland foods, like oatmeal or cereal, but I've eaten more than my share of sausage mcmuffins, too.

Black-Gorrilla
08-07-2007, 09:34
even when i just eat breakfast regularly i feel weird... i just ate breakfast now... and feel kind of sh**ty... i dont know what to do anymore. maybe i'll start eating abnormal foods... cause i've tried "healthy stuff" " no greasy foods"
eggs with toast...
just toast...
a waffle with a bit of butter on it.
a cheeseburger

it all makes me sick in the AM... but seems to give me energy

MEL-DC Diver
08-07-2007, 11:33
Sauerkraut, but that is more of a courtesy to others on the boat than anything else.

yankeefan21
08-07-2007, 12:27
I am a big fan of fruit - especially before a morning dive. I can eat fresh pineapple or sweet ripe strawberries like candy! Maybe it appeals to me because it is sweet and juicy and plays into my subconscious need to get/keep myself hydrated?

The thought of eating anything heavy just doesn’t sit well with me.

scubajane
10-17-2007, 19:10
stay away from the beefy beano breakfast burrito.. my instructor said so. I think he speaks from experience. something about being jet propelled.
My own personal dislike is peanut butter. it really tastes bad the second time around I know tmi

teog
12-19-2007, 21:44
I tend to stay away from heavy and greasy foods.

Zyxistal
12-19-2007, 23:30
Fruit Loops, especially if you're prone to 'feeding the fishes'.

bmp51
12-20-2007, 03:38
ugh... I avoid anything raw or heavy... unless its starchy... for energy... I stay away from bananas they are horrible on the way back up...especially if you have eaten them fast… It was not a fish feeding incident, but an non dive incident when I discovered that bananas are something you don’t want going out the way it came in…

Also a DM friend of mine warned about “local water” before you dive… something about “brown tides”

cudachaser
12-20-2007, 09:11
Dairy products will make equalization more difficult...so I tell my students to avoid them...also beans like in burrito can cause stomach pain on the way up...but you do have 2 convinient ways to relieve the pressure

Joe

divingchef
12-20-2007, 10:32
we will breakfast with eggwhites, and turkey ham.......and a banana....about 2 hours before splashing....

then we make our our "trail mix" to pass around the boat between tanks....

depends if its a 2 or 4 tank day....lunch normally gets skipped....

the way I look at it, the more you have in your stomach, the more blood will be routed there to assist digestion, the less you have in your brain to keep you diving safe......

Matt P
12-20-2007, 11:57
I eat the same things I usually eat...just less. And, I avoid caffeine & any other beverages that cause dehydration

DivingCRNA
12-20-2007, 12:03
I can NOT have a couple apples and put the drysuit on for a long dive. 12 alarm hot Thai food is not good either. Neither makes me puke, but the other end.... :rolleyes:

I do not get heartburn unless I eat a bunch and turn head down and kick like mad for the bottom.

MSilvia
12-20-2007, 12:17
The only food I've stricken from my pre-dive options is convenience store bought microwavable sausage and egg biscuits. They don't taste nearly as good the second time around, and they're pretty bad to begin with.

The fish seem to like them though...

MSilvia
12-20-2007, 12:18
Neither makes me puke, but the other end.... :rolleyes:
Yeah... there's no "p-valve" for that.

moosicman
12-20-2007, 12:44
I've heard to skip foods that can make you have gas. I don't know wether there is anything to it, but it stands to reason that gas in your body cavities, just like gas in your blood, can expand and cause problems.

MSilvia
12-20-2007, 13:02
I've heard to skip foods that can make you have gas. I don't know wether there is anything to it, but it stands to reason that gas in your body cavities, just like gas in your blood, can expand and cause problems.
I would think you are unlikely to produce gas from digestion at a faster than normal rate just because you're at depth. At depth, the usual amount of produced gas would have a lower volume, so it wouldn't likely cause problems even if burping and farting weren't convenient means of preventing internal gas from causing injury.

moosicman
12-20-2007, 13:06
I would think you are unlikely to produce gas from digestion at a faster than normal rate just because you're at depth. At depth, the usual amount of produced gas would have a lower volume, so it wouldn't likely cause problems even if burping and farting weren't convenient means of preventing internal gas from causing injury.

Well, like I said, I don't know if there is anything to it, but as wise divers we watch out for every variable don't we?

vanessar
12-20-2007, 20:51
At SI in Coz had some hot salsa (I love very hot food). Went upside down to take a photo and refluxed. Won't do that again.

Vanessar

navyhmc
12-21-2007, 06:11
Cabbage, broccoli, beans, brassel sprouts etc are off the list for at least 12 hours prior.

Had a trip where we did three dives to 60' with minimal (25-30 min) SI's. When we got done with the last dive, one of the guys doubles over in notable pain. the long and short of it was a bit too much gas at depth that was not released and expanded to painful volumes. The pain relieving fart 2 minutes later was one for the Guiness books, let me tell you! It left the camp fire scene from Blazing Saddles in a hazarous green cloud!

:smiley11::smilie39:

I usually carb load before a dive and make sure I have some protien as well to make it last. This is especially true if it's cold water-keeping your furnace fed goes a long way to keeping you warm.

moosicman
12-21-2007, 09:16
Cabbage, broccoli, beans, brassel sprouts etc are off the list for at least 12 hours prior.

Had a trip where we did three dives to 60' with minimal (25-30 min) SI's. When we got done with the last dive, one of the guys doubles over in notable pain. the long and short of it was a bit too much gas at depth that was not released and expanded to painful volumes. The pain relieving fart 2 minutes later was one for the Guiness books, let me tell you! It left the camp fire scene from Blazing Saddles in a hazarous green cloud!

:smiley11::smilie39:

I usually carb load before a dive and make sure I have some protien as well to make it last. This is especially true if it's cold water-keeping your furnace fed goes a long way to keeping you warm.

So gas does make a difference!:) I got to thinking about it and I know of certain foods at restaurants that I can eat that cause me "issues" nearly immediatly. I won't go into further detail for the sake of crudeness but after reading MSilvas post earlier I realized that yes, you CAN develop gas and such that quickly, not from being at depth but just because your body processes it with "difficulties".

MSilvia
12-21-2007, 10:36
I guess that makes sense, so after further thought I retract my prior disbelief.

If you're producing digestive by-product gasses at a rate that would normally cause you to need "relief" every 10 minutes or so, you could conceivably build up several times that quantity of gas at depth due to compression before noticing. When you ascend and that gas decompresses, it could get pretty uncomfortable, so I'd still think that your best bet would be "off-gassing" at the first sign of an urge to do so. As always, equalize early and often. ;)

PhD4JC
12-21-2007, 12:35
I was told that citrus fruits give you gas, when I told my dive instructor that I would get a lot of uncomfortable burps that would make my chest tight on my ascent during a dive and we figured out it was the OJ that I typically drink in the morning.

Since I stopped drinking citrus juices before diving, I have not had that problem.

In general I dont really eat before my morning dives, since diving still makes me nervous. But I have eaten during surface intervals (in Kauai, they made a wonderful pizza that they heated on the boat engines) with no ill effects in subsequent dives

moosicman
12-21-2007, 21:55
I guess that makes sense, so after further thought I retract my prior disbelief.

If you're producing digestive by-product gasses at a rate that would normally cause you to need "relief" every 10 minutes or so, you could conceivably build up several times that quantity of gas at depth due to compression before noticing. When you ascend and that gas decompresses, it could get pretty uncomfortable, so I'd still think that your best bet would be "off-gassing" at the first sign of an urge to do so. As always, equalize early and often. ;)

That is just TOO funny:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

LadyGoDiver
12-22-2007, 00:57
Great question. The last dive of my PADI certifiation I brilliantly ate a 'quick' curry fish at an Indian place on Grand Cayman. Not being prone to sea sickness, I thought nothing of it.

I survived the first dive. But, on the way to to the second dive, I blew chow off the boat. It was still pretty fresh, so the fish really enjoyed it. In my defense, I was 1 of 3 that day. So, it wasn't a beginner thing.

My only regret is that there are no pics of it. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm not a proud individual. Those shots would've definitely made it into the slideshow.

rach
12-22-2007, 07:14
if i don't eat before i dive (which happens a lot because i've been diving on a whim lately) i have a hard time sharing the tea and biscuits with the other divers on the SI....and then spend the second dive regretting my decision to shove 5 cookies in my mouth just before the giant stride...:smiley5:

DollFin
01-08-2008, 23:12
Neither makes me puke, but the other end.... :rolleyes:
Yeah... there's no "p-valve" for that.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/andtryg/wetsuit.jpg

Judge
01-09-2008, 04:42

Actually I found that out yesterday. Easy way to remedy it was do a headstand.....weird.

MLenyo
01-09-2008, 05:06
i didn't really eat before my OW dives for fear of gas =)

Lone Frogman
01-09-2008, 05:33
No beans when I dive dry.

boates
01-10-2008, 05:59
during my 1st dive trip, I ran into bacon on the buffet, at that time I was under the impression that bacon is natures most perfect food!
It was quickly apparent it wasn't. Have had trouble with it ever since!

The other thing I avoid pre-dive, is anyone onboard eating a tuna and onion sandwich!!

cyclone3565
01-11-2008, 08:05
I avoid soda, gives me a touch of heartburn during Ascent.

navyhmc
01-11-2008, 22:34
No beans when I dive dry.

:smilie39: But if you do, remember: vent, Vent, VENT!!! while ascending!!! :smilie39:

Also, don't forget to sound a HazMat alarm before unzipping! :D

cutter77
01-12-2008, 00:00
...decongestants on an empty stomach. Ain't gonna do that again, no siree.

DRNightdiver
02-19-2008, 05:33
I typically have a protein shake or bar for energy during the dive. When the dive's over I release the dogs and eat everything in site.

hoobascooba
02-19-2008, 07:16
I don't avoid any foods, except anchoves, liver n onions, whole tomatoes, sour cream, and guacamole.

Other than that, i drink coffee before I dive, and then munch on a bologna/cheese/lettuce sammich on SI.

newways
02-19-2008, 07:57
Salsa...yes, you can puke it up through your regulator...I'm just glad I was using a rental.

terrillja
02-19-2008, 08:51
I've never had any issues with eating anything, but I also tend to eat a LOT of ginger snaps while I'm on the boat to keep the seasickness to a minimum. And they taste good. One other thing, bring on a whole box and everyone on the boat will love you, at least it seems that way.

NoTime58
02-19-2008, 10:24
I haven't had any problems with whatever I've eaten (yet) before a dive, and usually it's breakfast, omelets, dry cereal, coffee, water, milk toast. Hopefully my stomach will "keep up" with "keeping it down" in the future !!

robjoubert
02-19-2008, 10:34

Does your dive buddy move away from you when you crack open your suit after a dive (after eating beans of course!!)?

rye_a
02-19-2008, 16:48
Butterfish (http://radaronline.com/features/2008/02/escolar_hawaiian_butterfish_anal_leakage_02.php)

pyre24
02-19-2008, 19:06
any fruit for me.

maggs_the
02-19-2008, 20:04
i try to eat breads and proteins that take a while to break down just to be on the safe side and keep my sugar from dropping on me. plus, like others have said, greasy stuff can give me heartburn at 70ft down and that's not fun.

UCFKnightDiver
02-19-2008, 20:13
no greasy foods lol we dont want a WARHAMMER lmao

LaCroix42
02-19-2008, 20:54
Fruit Loops, especially if you're prone to 'feeding the fishes'.

Eww! Look at the colors!

MicahEW
02-19-2008, 22:54
Sushi!!! for me.

mobeeno
04-12-2008, 20:51
I try not to have any milk. It just gives me breath harder some reason. After diving it is fine

Splitlip
04-12-2008, 21:04
Sardine Salad

Ingredients

1 3.75-ounce can sardines packed in tomato sauce
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
Pepper

1. Drain the sardines. Cut them up into small flakes, like tuna salad. I know the backbones you may find look creepy, but don’t remove them: they are edible, high in calcium, and unnoticeable if you chop the fish well enough.
2. Stir in the mustard and mayonnaise, adding more or less according to taste.