PDA

View Full Version : Excuses, excuses... I mean well-thought out reasons.

Steve Scuba
10-15-2007, 14:11
So, I'm one weekend away from being handed a piece of paper that says I can dive. My OW cert dives will be done next weekend, and I'm stuck with a nagging problem that I have yet to resolve:

How do I convince my wife that I need to buy my own gear? What reasoning can I employ? Or is she right?

She says I should go on at least 5 or 10 dives with rental gear first, but the rental fees for that would go an awful long way towards my first set-up. I do plan on a couple dives with rental gear, but not 5 or 10:smiley19:.

I guess it would also help to know that this isn't a money issue - we pool all of our resources and each get identical "allowances," and the gear would come from my "allowance." So I'm really just up against the "voice of reason" argument. To be fair, it might also help to know that I am in the habit of buying stuff that I'm excited about, but that doesn't get used much afterward. But this time is different! I'm in love!

tbuckalew
10-15-2007, 14:21
1) The quality of rental gear can be questionable. As this is truly life-support equipment, I would rather take better care of my well-being by having gear I can count on rather than pray to the gods of fate!

2) Surely the incremental costs of rental equipment, when compared to the cost of ownership neglects any waiting period.

3) You never know how well rental gear is cleaned (if it is actually cleaned at all)! For my own well-being and personal health and safety, I really should invest in some of my own equipment.

4) Please!

MSilvia
10-15-2007, 15:00
Your wife's reasoning is sound. You'll save more in the long run by trying out a bunch of different rental gear and buying stuff you like for a reason, than by buying ASAP so as to avoid rental fees and then buying replacement gear when you realize you aren't totally happy with your purchases. Personally, I don't think you can make an informed judgement about gear until you have 5-10 dives under your belt anyhow.

Rent, and rent different gear each time, so you can figure out what you like. Also, some shops will let you apply a percentage of your rental fees to a future purchase. It's worth asking about.

torrey
10-15-2007, 15:22
I think one of the biggest issues you're going to run into is that most dive shops won't just pull something off the rack that you want to try and let you just go diving somewhere with it. At that point, it's a used item. The few times I've rented, there was no selection...you got what they had in their rental stock, which was typically just one brand.

The only reason I might suggest renting is to determine whether you want a jacket-style, rear-inflate, or bp/w bc. I'm guessing you already have mask/fins/snorkel. Personally, I would just take all of the recommendations people have made on this forum and get new stuff. Around here, renting a setup for the weekend typically runs $50+. It won't take many rentals to surpass the cost of new equipment.

comet24
10-15-2007, 15:29
Economics. Lets say your rent BC, Reg, gauge for $30 each trip. Now for ten trips thats $300. Thats a nice start on your gear. Now what if it costs you $40 each time thats $400.

Now if you could rent different BC's, Regs. and computers each time I would try the different gear and find what you like. Now if your always get the some gear whats the point.

Now if this is a hobby that you may start and then not really get into then rent your gear.

ScubaToys Larry
10-15-2007, 15:33
Just tell her you're going to give her a big kiss when you get out of the water... Of course, I don't know who used this reg before me...

Not the best argument... but it might work!

diversteve
10-15-2007, 15:35
Best excuse for your own reg:

After diving when you see her again and kiss her, will it bother her if the last guy to use it before you vomited through the rental reg? :smiley2:

Larry, I guess great minds think alike...lol

Steve Scuba
10-15-2007, 23:07
Good reasoning and good advice. I think I'll use a combination of the two. Definitely a good argument to try out the different kinds of gear before I buy it. But also some great excuses...I mean reasons...for when I decide to buy (which will undoubtedly before I've done 10 rentals).

I think the hardest part is going to be finding the rental selection to be able to try different gear. When I rented the gear for the OW dives, regulator selection wasn't even mentioned (I reserved the gear before even starting the class, so I really didn't know what I was doing anyway). I'll definitely have to dig into it a bit though.

CaribbeanDiver
10-22-2007, 20:43
ordinarily, I am sort who prefers to have my own gear. of course, that means selecting the ideal set up the first time which is a most difficult task.
however, you have the very good fortune of being able to talk with Larry or Joe and detail the type of diving you will be doing, what you like and/or dislike and through their professional expertise, will significantly increase your odds of selecting the right gear.
I would not use rental gear for a number of reasons. Having your own offers the advantages of familiarity, feeling confident and comfortable because it will fit, knowing what you are using has been well taken care of, and is exactly what you picked.
Experience has taught me that women are almost always right but experience has also taught me that I rarely, if ever, listent to them and if you are like me, why start now?

chace_nicole
10-22-2007, 22:00
1) The quality of rental gear can be questionable. As this is truly life-support equipment, I would rather take better care of my well-being by having gear I can count on rather than pray to the gods of fate!

2) Surely the incremental costs of rental equipment, when compared to the cost of ownership neglects any waiting period.

3) You never know how well rental gear is cleaned (if it is actually cleaned at all)! For my own well-being and personal health and safety, I really should invest in some of my own equipment.

4) Please!

I'd go with #4:smiley36::smiley36::smiley36:

Aussie
10-23-2007, 10:41
So, I'm one weekend away from being handed a piece of paper that says I can dive. My OW cert dives will be done next weekend, and I'm stuck with a nagging problem that I have yet to resolve:

How do I convince my wife that I need to buy my own gear? What reasoning can I employ? Or is she right?

She says I should go on at least 5 or 10 dives with rental gear first, but the rental fees for that would go an awful long way towards my first set-up. I do plan on a couple dives with rental gear, but not 5 or 10:smiley19:.

I guess it would also help to know that this isn't a money issue - we pool all of our resources and each get identical "allowances," and the gear would come from my "allowance." So I'm really just up against the "voice of reason" argument. To be fair, it might also help to know that I am in the habit of buying stuff that I'm excited about, but that doesn't get used much afterward. But this time is different! I'm in love!

Keep the little lady happy and rent some gear for the first few times. This will show her that you listen to her and that her advice is well accepted. It will also show her that its not a new fad your going through like your other hobbies which you went out and bought all the latest and greatest and its now sitting in the garage not used in years.
Look at introducing her to the world of scuba. She sees the passion you have and she might also like to be apart of your new "love". Dont push her as she will push back, maybe show her how much fun your having etc etc.....if she gets hooked on scuba well your a lucky man.
Try out the rental gear. Sometimes you might be surprised whats on offer. I know of one shop that has diverite transpacs as their rental gear. And you will notice the difference more when your breathing off a excellent reg or using a top BCD/BPW.
Do some research or ask questions about gear before you rush out and buy something. Use this time to do your homework and this will save you alot of money down the track.Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Aussie

redneckdiver52
10-23-2007, 11:08
Oh the wonders of being single. I don't have to ask anyone permission to do anything! And if the one I am with starts to complain too much I can trade that one in on another. Oh the wonders of being single!:smiley20:

BobbyWombat
10-23-2007, 11:22
I can understand your wife not wanting you to drop a grand on your new hobby before doing it enough to know it is a long term thing.

I'd buy a little at a time, something new every couple dives. Pretty soon you will know if this thing is going to stick, and you will be getting good gear advice and experience along the way.

I personally have found the hygiene argument effective: pee in the wetsuit, vomit in the regulator.

Also the safety argument: You don't know if they yahoo before you used the rental octo to collect dirt specimens.

scubasavvy
10-31-2007, 11:40
With the money you'll pay out in rentals (about $70-100 a day) you can easily put that money toward gear.

gibson1525
11-03-2007, 21:38
the less money you waste renting gear the more you can spend on her!!

Flatliner
11-03-2007, 21:49
I am actually with Matt on this one. Rent a lot and then start buying the gear as you figure out what you actually want.

bubble-head
11-04-2007, 08:24
You may want to start with a wet suit (I love the Bare line). I started out renting various brands of BC and regs. My local shop was kind enough to allow me to use different models to see the differences. This led me to a better informed decision when I made my "big" purchase. When my purchase was made, we didn't have helpful forums like this one so you will be even better off when you get your's, after reviewing different people's opinions on here.

Daved
11-04-2007, 09:47
You need to rent first. I dove my first 20-30 dives in rentals. That warm feeling of putting on a wetsuit that has been peed in. The reg which was used by some guy that wears a t-shirt that says "I beat Aids".
Maybe you can ask for an advance on your allowance?
1) Safety--you know the entire life history of your reg
2) Your BCD has never been stored at the bottom of a trunk with how to dive books on top of it.
3) The reg in your mouth--well--you know where your mouth has been--

Steve Scuba
11-04-2007, 22:22
Well, I went and got a really nice wet suit. I've decided to sort of space out my purchases, with the most expensive coming towards the end. That way, the more I get into it, the more I can justify my expenses. Kind of like a tractor pull, in a weird way. Not sure why that analogy just popped into my head, but there you go...

kyfriedchipper
11-04-2007, 22:41
Just pay your dive buddy or dive master to say to her before a dive "Man - I hope he makes it back ok - that rental equipment is kinda iffy sometimes"

Zenagirl
11-05-2007, 07:41
Call ST and have the guys put together a package for you with a price. Take that information to your wife with the cost of rentals divided into it. It's likely she'll see that it will take less than 20 rentals to pay for the gear, and if you rent a computer, that could bring the number down to closer to 15. ;)

However, be aware that if you buy early you will likely replace some of that original gear as time goes on. In my first year of diving I replaced my fins, mask, BC, and octo. Fins and mask were due to them being old and they broke, but BC and octo were because I didn't choose wisely at the beginning (didn't know better). My husband only replaced his fins abnd mask in the first year, again due to being old, but 2 years later replaced his regs and BC.

Netsloth
11-05-2007, 08:30
Explain that diving isn't like a regular hobby, it's a lifestyle. Since you know that you will sticking with it, and buying your own gear eventually, every dime you spend renting is money down the drain.

Second, explain that you only want the best so that you can be sure that you will come home at the end of the day.

Of course, this may backfire if you have a whole lot of insurance that she knows about.

:smiley36:

kenmendes
11-05-2007, 08:35
I like the idea of renting gear for a while so that way you can try out all the different gear that they have and find the one that is right for you instead of just going out and buying all of your stuff and then not liking it and having it sit in the closet.

moosicman
11-05-2007, 08:43
I'm only going to rent through my cert period to make absolutly SURE i'm not gonna get down to depth and like FREAK OUT or anything...but otherwise I would be buying...the reason is that ive read and thought about it SO MUCH that i am almost 99% positive that when i buy the bc and reg that i am, i will be as happy as i need to be diving...it will probably one day end up being my back-ups anyway...and for now i wouldn't know a cadillac from a pinto, nor will i dive enough to try out the myriad of options that are out there......so.....i'm trowing caution to the wind....life has its risks. it wouldn't be fun without them.:)

Tableleg
11-05-2007, 09:24
But this time is different! I'm in love! Yea, but love is a finiky thing. If money's not that huge of a concern, I'd follow the rent-until-you-find-something-you-like idea. If this love is to be everlasting (and thus you make it through the first 10~15 rentals), you might as well find equipment you prefer before making a bunch of purchases.

BSea
11-05-2007, 09:35
Well, I went and got a really nice wet suit. I've decided to sort of space out my purchases, with the most expensive coming towards the end. That way, the more I get into it, the more I can justify my expenses. Kind of like a tractor pull, in a weird way. Not sure why that analogy just popped into my head, but there you go...
Hey I like the Tractor pull thing. I'll have to use that one. I can see it now.

Honey, it's like a tractor pull. That's why it makes sense to do it.

I can see her eyes glaze over as I say this.:smiley20:

nolan319
11-10-2007, 12:52
Buy her roses & chocolate for each piece of equipment you "acquire".. LOL or do as my hubbie did, "honey you won't believe the deal I got for you... you are now the proud owner of an underwater metal detector... and it came with lots of other equipment" LOL

I didn't mind however, because I would rather dive with my own equipment then rented. I have more confidence and trust miy stuff.. rentals you just don't know....

scubajane
11-14-2007, 17:57
give her roses and sign her up for diving class. my hubby wanted to dive. i didn't. he coaxed me into ow training saying If i took the whole class and still really hated it that he would be ok with my not diving, and now I drag him along. why can't I buy a dive boat and a captain and a state and an ocean????? I want to dive!!