PDA

View Full Version : Time of the month & vacation

Pandora
10-15-2007, 16:26
For those of us that are on an oral birth controll pill.............

If you are lucky enough to be headed on vacation during the all dreaded week - you can stop (pause) it.

My doctor had me take my pills for one week longer than normal. It was like hitting the pause button.........so i did not have to worry about being eaten by a shark :smiley20:

dallasdivergirl
10-15-2007, 16:39
When I was on the pill I would actually stop my pills a week early and have my period before I left. I found that if I extended a week that I would not feel up to speed that week and I didn't have to worry about break throughs or anything like that.

Liv7301
10-15-2007, 18:55
I need to get a calendar out and see where I fall for our trip in November! If I know now I will shift it early so that it's a non-issue next month.

jimmysdevoted
10-15-2007, 21:09
its a family thing.. if there is a trip planned onr of a few things will happen;

a: you will get your period just before getting in the car
b: you will get your period at the second rest stop in the middle of nowhere on the trip
c: you will start as you get your new bathing suit out of the suitcase
d:you think yor finished and you have on last few hour spurt in a light colored suit and tan shorts in a restaurant with white seats
e: you will have bled through eery piece of clothes on the trip and nothing fits so you are reduced to walmart stretch yoga pantscotton t shirts for the duration and cotton panties, box of chocolates, and the remote

and thats how it happens for my daughter and I on trips!:smiley31:

picxie
10-16-2007, 04:30
I had to do this last week ... trip planned for 7 days in Fiji and what do you think that particular week coincided with??!! :smiley5: No harm done, I don't just take another weeks worth though, I take another full blister of them - that is the safest way I believe. If you stop a week early to 'speed up the process' then you're not safe ... and I thinkif you just take enough to get through the holiday period then I believe that's not kosher either - safer to go through another complete packet (3 weeks) entirely.

Chocoholic
10-18-2007, 20:03
good plan, I have to get out the calendar and figure it out. We leave in exactly 4 weeks from now for Cabo.

divingmedic
10-19-2007, 22:21
Ya know there are new types of birth control pills out there that stop you from having your period for 4 whole months.

caroln
10-19-2007, 22:57
I wonder if this would work with the nuvaring. I don't miss having to take a pill everyday at all, but I definitely miss being able to manipulate the timing around vacations.

chace_nicole
10-19-2007, 23:51
I wonder if this would work with the nuvaring. I don't miss having to take a pill everyday at all, but I definitely miss being able to manipulate the timing around vacations.

A friend of mine has done this for vacation timing, she just put in a new one after 3 weeks instead of going that 4th week without the one.

K8brandt
10-21-2007, 14:43
My OB/GYN has me just continue the pills, that's 9-weeks on, 1-week off. If I have vacation planned, I just work around it.

I also understand that the new Mirena will curb the periods. Visit Keep life simple with Mirena IUC contraception, including birth control and additional menstruation benefits (http://www.mirena-us.com/whatismirena.html?c=S1&WT.srch=1) for more information.

mona
01-20-2008, 15:08
If you are the pill you can definitely just start a new pack when you've taken your 21 pills of the previous pack. A family doctor gave me that tip years ago; I'd do it whenever my period coincided with a trip. Of all those years none of those trips were dive trips. Wouldn't you know now I'm too old for the pill, I take up diving, and on my first dive trip down south I expect my period. What a pain that will be!

Chocoholic
01-20-2008, 16:59
That sucks, but have fun anyway.

azdiver
01-21-2008, 10:55
Man am I glad I no longer have to worry about that! :-))

However, when I did, I just planned around it or kept taking my pills until I got home.

Grizbear98
01-24-2008, 23:48
I'm really hoping that mine will be over by the time I get to Belize, I really don't want to have to extend the pills for a month because it wasn't over by the day I dive.

Are sharks really attracted to that? If it's like, a little bit?

mona
01-25-2008, 18:08
OH! Sharks...didn't even really think about that...it better not be an issue because I'm expecting to have my period the whole week of my trip. Any one know where to find info about this?

azdiver
01-25-2008, 18:08
Are sharks really attracted to that? If it's like, a little bit?

NO!! That's just a myth... don't worry whether your flow is light or heavy... I dove for many years before deciding to use the pill and just used tampons.
No problem whatsoever... I even did shark feeds and swam with swarming 'cuda.

It's soooo nice to be done with all that now!! :smiley32:

Damselfish
01-25-2008, 20:45
sharks are not a concern. This is all about convieniece, not sharks.

Grizbear98
01-26-2008, 20:53
well, that's a relief!

WAHMof2
01-27-2008, 18:26
Yes, big relief! I was a little worried there for a bit. I always heard it was a myth, but ya never know.

Grizbear98
01-27-2008, 20:46
yeah, that's the last thing I need, I'm worried about the trip as it is!

Suther2136
02-15-2008, 20:14
Actually, my DM told us that that blood is venal not arterial, meaning not an issue for the sharks. Not sure I trust this and being a guy, well you know. I would check with DAN before getting stressed about it. On the other hand, being a guy, having the curse on vacation sucks for many reasons, not just being eaten... Never mind.

Osprey
02-18-2008, 14:30
If periods and diving were an issue I am pretty sure every dive class out there would have asked you every single day, YOU AREN'T BLEEDING ARE YOU???

I'm jealous in any case, I stopped the pill only to later realize it would have made my OW classes a lot easier... :S oh well

CompuDude
02-20-2008, 16:26
For what it's worth, similar tricks can be done using the NuvaRing birth control ring. My wife LOVES it. Her doctor currently has her skipping periods so she only has them every 3 months (4 times per year, once per quarter) instead of monthly. No ill effect, although they tend to be a little heavier than usual (understandable) when she does have them. A little planning ahead, however, and it's no big deal to shift things by a month if a period coincides with a planned vacation.

She loves the ring, too. It uses far less estrogen to accomplish the same goal as the pill, since it's essentially a constant-drip system, so she doesn't get as sick as she did with the pill, and you don't have to remember something every day, and FAR less intrusive than a diaphragm. Well worth checking into.

Obviously, consult with your doctor before messing with changes to a prescription.

Hollywood703
02-21-2008, 21:12

I always thought that had to be a B%^$% to swallow that ring and keep it in there for that long.... :)