PDA

View Full Version : How soon should I book dives for December in WPB, FLL and Key Largo?

nunofs
10-15-2007, 15:46
As I mentioned on another thread, I'm going to be staying in Delray Beach and then in Fort Lauderdale the first two weeks of December, and am planning on diving WPB and then FLL and Key Largo.

The last time I was in FLL I didn't book in advance and ended up diving with ProDive, which was relatively close to the hotel (didn't have a rental car so my choices were limited). This time I want to try some of the ops that are recommended over and over on the forum...

My question is how early should I book my dives with them? As soon as possible to assure a spot on a boat (even without knowing for sure where the boats are going), or later to take into account weather and dive sites? Opinions are welcome!

Thanks,
Nuno

WV Diver
10-15-2007, 18:39
I always booked as soon as possible, you can almost always make last minute changes if you need to. There are a lot of advantages to booking early. Get the now price in writing, know you have a spot before the big group gets there, many times you can pick where the boat goes if your the first to book, no wondering about having a spot at the last minute, etc.

comet24
10-15-2007, 18:44
I have dived Key Largo a few times in January and never had a problem booking dives a few days before. I usaully do this because my trips down there are to relatives on the Gulf Coast and I don't really have a plan until I get there.

nunofs
10-16-2007, 11:17
Thanks for the feedback... I can see both sides of the argument, am still a bit undecided. What I know for sure is that I won't leave it for when I'm already on site like I did last time... will probably book a few weeks before the date.

Btw, if someone dives those areas regularly and wants to buddy up, I would love to have someone who I can at least put a username to a face :) , instead of doing the insta-buddy thing...

Buoyant1
10-31-2007, 12:04
Best bet...call and make contact with the operators...they can at least give you a good read on whether it's worth booking now of later...

Most of the people I've dealt with down there are pretty cool about that kind of stuff...

NitroWill
10-31-2007, 12:06
It doesnt hurt to book early - most have cancellation policies - just make sure you know what it is first.

I am always diving out of WPB - just make a post when and Ill let you know if Ill be there or not.

nunofs
11-30-2007, 18:57
Posting my final dive schedule here in case someone on the board wants to join me on a dive:

Dec 3 and 4 mornings - UW Explorers (Boynton Beach)
Dec 5 and 6 mornings - Narcosis (West Palm Beach)
Dec 7 night - UW Explorers (Boynton Beach)
Dec 10 morning - Blue Water Divers (Key largo)
Dec 11, 12 and 13 mornings - American Dream II (Fort Lauderdale)

If you're planning on going on any of those trips, please introduce yourself... I'll be the guy with the Bare 7mm wetsuit http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/Standard%20Smiles/11.gif

(leaving tomorrow so propably won't reply here after that)

Nuno