PDA

View Full Version : backpacking with gear

beenerachi
10-15-2007, 15:53
Hey, has anyone backpacked with all your gear? I know it's a lot to lug around, but you never know what kind of rental gears a shop will have and daily rentals of even 1 or 2 items add up quickly on a 2-3 week diving trip. I'm gonna visit New Zealand and go back to the US for a little bit but definitely diving.

I always see these Aussie kids with a massive turtle back going on the Kokoda hike over here in PNG, but now it's starting to look like a good idea to save some money.

Any tips on what brand bag to get, lightweight gear? I'm going to weigh my options on shipping some of my clothes back, but maybe I'll just wear my wetsuit on the entire trip....?

tbuckalew
10-15-2007, 16:35
Sounds like your big one will be weights and tanks! A streamlined BC will shave ounces (and ounces add up while backpacking - my wife and I are getting ready for another BP trip with the Texas weather finally cooling off).

As for the rest of your gear, there is a big ultra-light backpacking movement - but beware, it will cost you....

http://www.rei.com/camping/TOC/Ultralight+Camping+Gear?cm_re=toc*toc*ultralight_c amping_gear&vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC

No Misses
10-15-2007, 17:14
You could go with a plastic backplate, HOG harness setup. I would also look into the lightest plastic regs on the market (I dive metal regs). Good luck. let us know how it goes :-)