PDA

View Full Version : 1st Night Dive

TRACI
10-15-2007, 16:49
Is it better to do a shore or boat dive for my first night dive? I will be going to Cozumel in January I would like to get up enough nerve to try a night dive.

jlittlejohn321
10-15-2007, 16:51
Id go with boat because there generally deeper and if you just get the nerve over with a deep dive then a shallower dive will feel like a walk in the park but dont push your limits if you dont think its a good idea

DivingsInMyBlood
10-15-2007, 21:55
I did a night boat dive the other night (first one) it was quite the eye opener, took me about 5 minutes to get comfortable in the dark then it was ok.

comet24
10-15-2007, 22:00
I go with boat. No surf or swimming to the site required.

cummings66
10-16-2007, 09:27
I think a shore dive is easier on you because you can start out slow and work your way into it. With a boat you pretty much jump in and go for it when the group is ready where on a shore dive you can wait until you and your buddy is ready and then go for it.

Either way it's neat.

greyzen
10-16-2007, 09:35
depends on the area for me...
out at Lake Travis I really don't know if there would be much benefit of a boat entry, but I'm really hoping I get the chance to nightdive FG and that would be one heck of a shoreswim :)

Bring the Payne
10-16-2007, 12:37
I like the boat entry better I think. Seems like it would be easier than getting around the shore in darkness with all your gear on.

ertechsg
10-16-2007, 13:02
I have to agree with cummings66. Alot of people do shore (night) dives everytime I'v been to COZ still get to see plenty of life. Depending on where your staying some places better than others. Most enteries there are easy they either have steps or sandy beaches. Besides a tank rental is $6 compared to a $40 boat dive. And NAV is easy just follow the shore down one way turn and come back. The place the boats go to is just a sandy area about 1/2 mile off shore so save your money for eating in town or a corona.

TRACI
10-16-2007, 14:51
I would probably feel more comfortable starting the dive at dusk, and ending the dive at the time it is getting dark, rather then just jumping off the boat into total darkness.

caroln
10-16-2007, 22:24
If you're in Cozumel, Paradise is a lovely night dive. There's a ton of life and it's a really easy stress free dive.

DivingsInMyBlood
10-16-2007, 23:23
I would probably feel more comfortable starting the dive at dusk, and ending the dive at the time it is getting dark, rather then just jumping off the boat into total darkness.

For sure it would be best to start the dive with a little light then end it when it gets dark just to ease into it for the first time.

bperrybap
10-17-2007, 13:04
If you're in Cozumel, Paradise is a lovely night dive. There's a ton of life and it's a really easy stress free dive.

I would agree with this. Paradise reef is fairly shallow ~40 ft
and fairly level, no worries about drifting too deep.
Last time I dove it, my average depth was 32 feet.

Very nice easy spot for a first time night dive.

If you are nervous, take the boat. With the boat
there is no worries about having to deal with air
consumption issues. With the boat, when your air
is low, you come up and the boat picks you up.

It is fairly popular though so there can be quite a few other
divers and boats around.

--- bill

Rigdiver
10-17-2007, 13:24
Hey Traci, In cozumel they will most likely do a dive at dusk as it's turning dark. It's an extremely comfortable dive with more to see at night than during the day. Bring a backup light just in case and enjoy!!!! My wife was very concerned on her first dive there years ago and now it's one of her favorite times to dive. Enjoy.......breathe in......breathe out...... :)

chace_nicole
10-17-2007, 15:09
thanks for the suggestion Caroln, me too on the 1st night dive in Coz, but Dec instead of January. How deep is Paradise?
Thanks~Chace

ertechsg
10-17-2007, 15:17
chace... they will keep you at about 40-45 ft nice sandy bottom. That way if someone is not paying attention they can hit sand not the reef. It's a place you'll dive during the day to see the layout of it then go back at dusk.

lmorin
10-17-2007, 16:15
The thing about shore dives is that they are usually under your total control, meaning that you can go part way or all the way in, from very shallow to much deeper, without pressure from a group. Get wet, get the initial worries out, then do the same again, or go on the boat and do something different. Cozumel dives are generally drift dives and when you enter the water, whether you like it or not you start moving. You might want that variable to be removed from consideration on your first dive. One way is not better than the other. It depends on your level of anxiety. My first was from a boat, but I had no choice in the matter. Would have prefered a shore dive first, I think.

chace_nicole
10-17-2007, 16:37
Hey Traci, In cozumel they will most likely do a dive at dusk as it's turning dark. It's an extremely comfortable dive with more to see at night than during the day. Bring a backup light just in case and enjoy!!!! My wife was very concerned on her first dive there years ago and now it's one of her favorite times to dive. Enjoy.......breathe in......breathe out...... :)

Is a big light the best to use for night dives? I figure bigger light=more light but I am new.