PDA

View Full Version : NJ Divers roll call! I know there are others out there!

BoomerNJ
10-15-2007, 17:10
Hello all,

I thought maybe we could use a list of the other Jersey divers floating around here on the ST forums!

Boomer
Red Bank, NJ!!

cgvmer
10-15-2007, 22:31
I'm a diver from NJ that has never dove in NJ............

I want to try but have not had the chance.

Cedar Grove here!

BoomerNJ
10-16-2007, 10:11
Funny I haven't gone diving yet in Jersey either, but I am taking the AOW class & dry suit class this winter / spring so that I can dive the off-shore wrecks on one of the boats out of Belmar...

PaDiver93
10-22-2007, 12:34
What do you mean you never dove off of Jersey???!!!
A. Drysuit is not a necessity in the summer
B. AOW - that's only a card, your diving skills can only be improved through practice (not all boats require AOW) - I AM NOT ADVOCATING AGAINST CERT (get it at a shop that caters to NJ diving, and focuses on it)
C. What about shore diving - some spots are crazy awesome

stranger
10-23-2007, 19:04
Another one from Jersey here - Westfield.

couped243
10-30-2007, 01:19
From Elizabeth now in South River and stationed in Iraq. Been diving for some years now but never Jersey mostly Florida. I'll be looking to dive Jersey this upcoming season though. It'll let me dive more throughout the season. I would go ahead and take the AOW. Yes it is just a card but more training=more time in the water and that is always good. And while you are at it, if you are not already throw the nitrox cert class in there as well. Dry suit although recommended for Jersey is not necessary. A good 7mil and maybe a vest with a hood should do the trick. I would spend that dry suit money on a redundant air supply (pony bottle and reg). Most boat charters in Jersey require it. When you go to your LDS ask them and they can fill you in more as I'm sure they charter boats throughout the season. Also most scuba charters have their own website and you can find their rules there. Happy Diving

BoomerNJ
10-30-2007, 06:52
From Elizabeth now in South River and stationed in Iraq. Been diving for some years now but never Jersey mostly Florida. I'll be looking to dive Jersey this upcoming season though. It'll let me dive more throughout the season. I would go ahead and take the AOW. Yes it is just a card but more training=more time in the water and that is always good. And while you are at it, if you are not already throw the nitrox cert class in there as well. Dry suit although recommended for Jersey is not necessary. A good 7mil and maybe a vest with a hood should do the trick. I would spend that dry suit money on a redundant air supply (pony bottle and reg). Most boat charters in Jersey require it. When you go to your LDS ask them and they can fill you in more as I'm sure they charter boats throughout the season. Also most scuba charters have their own website and you can find their rules there. Happy Diving

Hey Couped! Thanks for the advice & I def. am planning AOW & Nitrox... Nitrox over the winter & AOW in the spring... I have the spare reg setup for my pony bottle & am waiting for a good deal on a pony... If you need a dive buddy when you get back I'd be happy to dive with you... Keep yourself safe & thank you for protecting our country!

And PADiver...

Yeah I know, I'm a brand new diver though & haven't even gotten to 20 dives yet so... I am diving as much as I can right now, mostly in Dutch Springs... I have an awesome diving instructor who owns his own charter boat & is addicted to wreck diving & spear fishing off the Jersey Shore so I will be doing a lot of Jersey diving next season... I got the dry suit because it was an opportunity to get a $2000 suit for $1400 including the course, hard to pass up... But I will be out there soon!

Boom

cgvmer
10-30-2007, 08:13
I can't believe we only have 4 divers from NJ :
BOOMER Red Bank
CGVMER Cedar Grove
COUPED243 South River
STRANGER Westfield
PADIVER (PA I assume, but dive NJ)

I guess we should differentiate from NJ or dive in NJ or both.

couped243
11-03-2007, 15:27
There's gotta be more Jersey divers than this!! Hey Boom you're welcome. I'm sure we can arrange something this summer. I still need a pony set up, but i'll be picking that up when I get home.

mb104
11-10-2007, 21:40
Add me to the list of NJ divers. Couped243, you certainly get around. You're on NJdive.com (http://www.njdive.com), Wreckvalley.com, (http://www.wreckvalley.com) and now here. I really can't complain, me too.

I dive year-round here in NJ.

couped243
11-10-2007, 22:01
Hahah.....Hey mb104 I actually started at SB and then migrated here. I've purchased some little things here and there from ST and Larry always has some good info on gear and the like and some good prices. But hey I found a home in Welcome to NJDive.com (http://www.njdive.com) and Wreck Valley Divers Scuba Diving Club - home page (http://www.wreckvalley.com) You can't get any better info for diving Jersey than from Jersey divers, it's what they do..

cgvmer
11-10-2007, 22:19
BOOMER Red Bank
CGVMER Cedar Grove
COUPED243 South River
STRANGER Westfield
PADIVER (PA I assume, but dive NJ)
MB104 Central NJ
Hey there, my son and I have decided to do some more warm water training this March, I want to do some diving in NJ next spring/summer (he told he wasn't interested in diving cold, but I don't want to push him).

I expect to get a 7mm this spring and work also add a pony bottle. I think I may be able to convince my sons (my 19yr old is at college in St Louis) if we do some shore dives first.

I was just talking to my cousin who told me he is thinking of renewing his DM insurance so he may be able to arrange a coupe trips they feel comfortable with.

couped243
11-10-2007, 22:32
My son's 15 and has his cert. I'll probably take him on an off shore dive to a shallow wreck once I get a couple of wreck dives in myself. In the mean time we'll do Dutch and maybe a trip to Fla. I'd like to get a few courses in like Rescue diver, wreck and deep diver if I can before the summer. Just so I feel more comfortable when I'm with him. Although he's pretty confident and did better than most adults in the pool and open water.

cgvmer
11-10-2007, 23:02
Sounds familiar, my 3 kids are competitive swimmers so they are at ease in the water. I'm pushing to get my AOW so I can get rescue certified. I really want that since my daughter wants to get certified, since she turns 10 this month.

I figure rescue would make ME feel more comfortable when I'm in the water with them.

couped243
11-10-2007, 23:26
That would be cool to have her certified too. I'll be signing up for rescue when I get back just have to find a place that will have a class after the new year.

mb104
11-11-2007, 18:36
Couped,
When you are finally home, you'll be 19 miles from the shop I use, which is The Scuba Connection. (http://www.tscscuba.com) I would recommend them 110% for Rescue for you and AOW for your son. You can get any training from this shop.

David_NJ
11-18-2007, 21:35
I'm another NJ diver...and yet another one yet to dive in NJ. All of my dives are in PA (Dutch) or Canada (St. Lawrence River, couple trips up there so far).

I saw somebody mentioning that they might take a rescue course...it was the best course I have done so far I really think all divers should take it.

Matt P
11-25-2007, 12:03
I'm a Jersey diver too. I've been diving for 2 yrs. I tend to hang out on the 100' or less wrecks. Pinta, San Saba, Mo Tracey, etc. I've been diving on the Ol Salty II and the Venture III.

And...of course...Dutch.

drtom437
02-14-2008, 11:49
I know its an old thread, but I'm from horsham Pa, will be diving off jersey for 1st time in April.

longtailbda
06-08-2008, 04:30
Its an old thread but I'm relatively new member from the OC area.

ParrotHead
07-03-2008, 23:18
Couped,
When you are finally home, you'll be 19 miles from the shop I use, which is The Scuba Connection. (http://www.tscscuba.com) I would recommend them 110% for Rescue for you and AOW for your son. You can get any training from this shop.

Hey Guys - I guess I missed this thread. I'm in the Princeton area and TSC is my dive shop too - great bunch over there:smiley20:! I've logged most of my dives out at Dutch. Did one wreck dive last year out of A.C.