PDA

View Full Version : Help with a wetsuit hood...

BoomerNJ
10-15-2007, 17:22
I am trying to find a hood that fits me properly. I have a large head (go ahead, laugh...) and an even larger neck, last I checked it was 19.5" I have tried several on & they all seem tight around my neck. Is there a different manufacturer or style I should try that might fit better? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Larry, what does Joe wear, I hear he's a big guy!

Thanks all!

Boomer

floater
10-15-2007, 18:53
I am trying to find a hood that fits me properly. I have a large head (go ahead, laugh...) and an even larger neck, last I checked it was 19.5" I have tried several on & they all seem tight around my neck. Is there a different manufacturer or style I should try that might fit better? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Larry, what does Joe wear, I hear he's a big guy!

Thanks all!

Boomer

You could always order a custom hood. I got one in 12mm neoprene (not because my head is weird size but because I wanted a 12mm hood and they only happen to come in custom size). Anyway, this was the place I ordered from (and I'm sure they can make thinner hoods too): http://otterbaysuits.com/

There's also a member on scubaboard called Liquid Fit who sells custom suits and socks and does wetsuit modifications. She could probably make a custom hood too.

ScubaToys Larry
10-19-2007, 10:29
You can't beat hyperstretch for the big - hard to fit head. They are very comfy and pull over the biggest noggin. Actually, my head is bigger than Joes... It's one of those weird things in nature... even a stegosaurus had a brain the size of a walnut... :smilie39:

I can't wear any baseball cap - because even at their biggest setting - they are not big enough - and I can wear a XL or XXL hyperstretch with no problem.

Hyperstretch 7mm Hood, Boots Hoods Gloves, Henderson, Hyperstretch 7mm Hood (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=HyperHood7mm)

Dive-aholic
10-19-2007, 16:23
I'd also suggest looking at dry hoods. I have a couple of wet hoods, but the skirt always comes out because I'm looking around. My dry hood, which isn't really dry, doesn't have a skirt. I wear it wet or dry and it allows me to turn my head freely. It's also not as tight around my neck. Find one with a zipper down the back.

BoomerNJ
10-19-2007, 19:16
Thanks all! I have to go try some on. I have that ball cap problem too, I only wear fitted ones. I have to have something to keep the sun off my bald head. Poor Joe, always taking a beating... lol...

TxScubaBear
10-20-2007, 17:17
I agree on the hyperstretch, well worth the money for fit and comfort- I have 2!

Wndrer
10-20-2007, 21:19
I am at a 18" neck and wear a Hyperstretch 5/3 XL. Perfect for Monterey. Not constricting on me at all.

MSilvia
10-21-2007, 07:35
I'd also suggest looking at dry hoods. I have a couple of wet hoods, but the skirt always comes out because I'm looking around. My dry hood, which isn't really dry, doesn't have a skirt.
This works for me too... I had to custom order a football helmet in high school because they didn't have anything big enough to fit on my enormous head. It's like an orange on a toothpick.

When I discovered how well BARE's drysuit hood fit me, my nights of crying myself to sleep on my gigantic pillow were over.:smiley2:

BobbyWombat
10-21-2007, 13:07
Second that. Henderson hyperstretch hoods might just be the thing you are looking for.