PDA

View Full Version : Water temperatures

picxie
07-17-2007, 05:43
What is the average water temperature where you live?? And at what temperature would you turn down a dive??
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Over summer, I dive in temperatures of 18-22C (64-72F I believe). Closer to winter I'll still dive in 16-17C (60-62F). I think the coldest was 14-15C (57-59F) and I won't do that again! This is in a 7mm wetsuit. As it's currently winter here, my diving has pretty much stopped as I was getting too cold http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gifI'll probably look at upgrading and getting a semi-dry ... I know a drysuit would probably be better but I don't really want to go there just yet.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

cummings66
07-17-2007, 07:25
I dive year round, water temps range from 36 degree's F to the 90 degreee F range. Most of the time I'd say it's from 50 degree's F to 75 degree's F.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>There is no temperature I would call a dive on. If it's liquid I'll dive in it, but then I have a drysuit.</DIV>

FishFood
07-17-2007, 10:04
Last weekend I dove a quarry with mid fifty degree water... in a 3mill wetsuit with no hood. That was fun. Above the thermocline it was nice and warm though.
<DIV>Im with cummings, if it's water Ill dive it.</DIV>

TAH 73
07-17-2007, 10:22
Live in Ontario, Canada.
<DIV>Water high 60's/low 70's at surface, mid/low 50's when down a little deeper. (summer temps)</DIV>
<DIV>May the water will be 50's at surface.and can get into the low 40's at depth.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

jacewindu
07-17-2007, 11:45
lake michigan gets veeery cold... but it takes a lot to say 'no' to diving! :)

wxboy911
07-17-2007, 12:29
Upstate NY keeps a lot of the dive sites a bit cool-Last weekend the water was just above 60 at the surface and in the 50's past the thermocline in Lake George. Its not too bad with the right gear-I dive Semi Dry with a beanie and its OK.

picxie
07-17-2007, 14:05
wxboy911, do you find the beanie takes the edge off? I hate wearing hoods, and don't, and that's half my problem when it gets cold. But I've just bought a beanie hoping that might help ... I would have preferred something thicker (it's only 1mm) but that was the only one Scuba Toys sold. It arrived yesturday and fit well - nothing at all like hoods which I find very constricting. But I wondered just how well it would work in the water. I figure something is better than nothing.

Joew
07-17-2007, 14:43
Here in Hawai'i the water ranges from about 72-80 degrees F, depending on time of year. There are a few freshwater spots on the Big Island where the water is in the low 60's. FYI, 3mm suit and full foot fins is not a good idea in 60 degree water. smileys/smiley36.gif

the gooch
07-17-2007, 17:32
I usually see 72-88 degrees here in S. FL.

wxboy911
07-17-2007, 19:05
wxboy911, do you find the beanie takes the edge off? I hate wearing hoods, and don't, and that's half my problem when it gets cold. But I've just bought a beanie hoping that might help ... I would have preferred something thicker (it's only 1mm) but that was the only one Scuba Toys sold. It arrived yesturday and fit well - nothing at all like hoods which I find very constricting. But I wondered just how well it would work in the water. I figure something is better than nothing.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It helped me-took the edge off and I had a greater range of motion-I tried a hood on and could hardly move my head. I have seen some around that are 3mm-once you get the size that fits well look around for the same brand.</DIV>

fire diver
07-18-2007, 10:54
Our lakes can hit surface temps of 90F in the summer. But down under the 3rd thermocline it will be in the 50's. It really makes suiting up a pain in summer.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>In winter, I won't dive if I don't have a sheltered place for suiting up. The earliest I have dove was April 1st. The surface temp was 55, with temps in the upper 30's at depth. I was wearing a thermal skin under my 7mm, and a hood. I was ok with temps until my lips and hands (no gloves) went numb. You know you've been in cold water when you ascend into 55 degree water and it feels almost hot. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley3.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

cummings66
07-18-2007, 17:49
Not as much of a pain as suiting up in a drysuit. Talk about sweating it out, I tend to get pretty hot quickly if I don't get in the water fast.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>But, it's worth it.</DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-19-2007, 11:07
Being in Dallas it just depends on the time of the year and how deep you want to go. Coldest I've been in is 53F in the winter. I do understand however that you can get that cold by going to some of the area lakes during the winter if you go deep enough. Surface temp will peek at about 90F or so if I recall, so anywhere in between. In general I need to see it hit 60F at whatever depth I'm going to be diving before diving starts to interest me. I do not like cold water especially since I do not dive with hoods, I hate them.

Vercingetorix
07-19-2007, 11:12
Coldest I've been in is 53F in the winter. I do understand however that you can get that cold by going to some of the area lakes during the winter if you go deep enough. During winter here in Dallas, you don't even need to go deep. At CSSP in Jan 07, there was no thermocline...the water temp was 47 degrees from surface to bottom. Ah yes...7mm farmer john, 32 pounds of weight, 3 foot vis...that's diving!!http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

picxie
07-19-2007, 14:31
I must be a bit of a wimp then http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gifas I see some of you are still wearing wetsuits in these cold temperatures. Brrrr I feel cold just thinking about it!

mwhities
07-19-2007, 14:34
I will never tell you the temps around here.... No clear water... I'm not diving with no viz... (If it was one or two ffet viz, I'd dive.)

Michael

Lucky(AR)
07-19-2007, 16:02
i dove in a quarry surfacee temp was 56 had a 6 mil wetsuit w hood not bad at all

thesmoothdome
07-19-2007, 18:23
Drysuit owner here, so no water too cold for me. Ears hurt a bit in colder temps though since I dive a wet hood. Did the dry hood thing with my Viking and cut it off after about 50 dives. Before the drysuit, I did 42 degrees in a 7 mill. Ahh, to be young and foolish. When I came back to diving last year, I didn't even bother getting a 7 mill. Just bought a drysuit. Even if it gets to 74 out here in the summer, I'll dive it.

CompuDude
07-19-2007, 20:36
I dive dry, mostly, so temps tend to be irrelevant.

Locally, water temps range from upper 40's in the dead of winter to mid-60's in the hottest part of summer. At depth, however, the average ranges from 50-55, occasionally dipping as low as 48 in the winter if you hit a real cold patch due to ocean upwellings, etc.

With the water in the 60s right now, I've been diving wet for the first time in a while. Boat dives where I know I'm going deeper, however, and it's back to the drysuit.

cummings66
07-19-2007, 22:06
I know the Canadians get even colder water temps than we do, but during the Winter I hit 36 degree's F quite often. During the Summer we can often hit the upper 40's quite easily as well. 48 degree's F. in fact is what I had last weekend.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I dive dry, that means drysuit, drygloves, and dryhood. I don't believe in anything but dry. During my rescue course I dove wet because of the temps out, they would have had a real heat stroke victim to treat if I did it dry. I got water in my ears for the first time in over a year, it took me a bit to realize what the weird feeling was, then I remembered back what it was like before I started diving dry.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I love dryhoods and drygloves.</DIV>

przeor
07-20-2007, 04:12
Locally, I'd say low 50's to mid 80's in the lakes... right now it's perfect!

Liv7301
07-20-2007, 08:35
Coldest I've been in is 53F in the winter. I do understand however that you can get that cold by going to some of the area lakes during the winter if you go deep enough. During winter here in Dallas, you don't even need to go deep. At CSSP in Jan 07, there was no thermocline...the water temp was 47 degrees from surface to bottom. Ah yes...7mm farmer john, 32 pounds of weight, 3 foot vis...that's diving!!http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That was basically my OW weekend at CSSP in March! We all had on 7mm farmer johns or a 7mm with a 5mm core warmer, gloves and hoods. There had been heavy driving rain the night before so vis was somewhere in the 3 ft range. On a platform you could see the near half of your buddy but the far half was gone.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The conditions didn't improve the next day. They tried taking a single buddy pair down to the silos for the deeper dive but when our instructor Nick had to literallysignOk on your mask for you to see it, they decided it wasn't worth it and the rest of us were spared the experience. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif</DIV>

DUnder
07-20-2007, 10:29
In mid summer surface water temps are in the mid 70 range and in the low 40's at depth. In winter water temps are in the high 30's after you cut through the ice. Have not tried ice diving yet.

DirtyWaterIL
07-30-2007, 18:01
I'm from th great lakes area so the water temperatures fluctuate between 80's at the shores of the quarries at the end of august, to 32 degrees in the winter. The only way i will call a dive based on temperature is if the water is frozen solid from top to bottom.

bon diva
07-30-2007, 21:19
In the Sound the water is a pretty consistent 46-48 degrees. Dry suits are nice. My favorite dive site is Bonaire... waters temps about 80... skins are WAY nice, too!

quarrydiver
09-11-2007, 22:55
50's in a 7mil. I like my hood, when I don't wear it I feel like someone's slapped my forehead at the thermocline. It does suck to gear up in a 7mil when it's 90 topside.

Capt Hook
09-12-2007, 00:45
72 to 85 here in Florida. 86 on our last dive.