PDA

View Full Version : attaching a knife

abcitydiver
10-15-2007, 19:33
I want to get the UK Fusilier, and the site says it comes with:
Large head screws included for attaching knife sheath to knife mounting holes included on many BCs
But I dont have mounting holes, so....
are there grommets I can purchase for the outside pocket of my BC (Dragon AT)? Do dive shops usually carry (and hopefully have the ability to install) grommets or something like them?
or does one carefully punch a hole...(obviously just in the outside of the pocket)..and then the "head screws" work well enough?

HELP.
Jane

Splitlip
10-15-2007, 19:53
I have punched holes in BC's to mount things, including a knife.

Sometimes a wood burner, soldering iron or hot nail works well. That will "cauterize" the penetration, depending on the material (nylon?). No grommet required.

JugglingMonkeys
10-15-2007, 20:52
Or - just attach it via plastic cable ties to your inflator. That's what a lot of people do.

Or - put it on your ankle.

terrillja
10-15-2007, 21:00
These kits are easy to use, I have used them for other projects before:

http://www.ahh.biz/products/grommets/grommet%20setting%20kit%20size%2000%20GKS200.htm

Another option is to go to a cobbler, if you have one near where you live, they can generally add these things for a reasonable rate.

abcitydiver
10-15-2007, 21:07
i LOVE this forum!! the "kit" is perfect!! but options abound, though I live darn close to the middle of nowhere....we do indeed have an excellent cobbler!!!

Thanks to both of you!

terrillja
10-15-2007, 21:14
i LOVE this forum!! the "kit" is perfect!! but options abound, though I live darn close to the middle of nowhere....we do indeed have an excellent cobbler!!!

Thanks to both of you!

Glad to help, I had an oceanic OceanPro BC, and part of the reason why I upgraded to the oceanic Probe LX was so I could have the grommets for mounting knives. Now I have one on each side, but I never would have thought in the past about adding the grommets, good thought- I had bought a kit before after the grommets kept tearing out of tarps- now I can just reinforce the corners and add a new grommet- no more tearing!

Bring the Payne
10-16-2007, 12:32
abc...I ran into the same problem with my dragon at. There aren't many good options for mounting your knife. I ended up using the grommet mount kit that came with my knife and mounted it on the low pressure house loop. Works pretty well and still gives me good access to the knife.

abcitydiver
10-16-2007, 16:18
BTP..thanks, also a good location idea :-)

Bring the Payne
10-16-2007, 19:34
No problem. I would have liked to have had grommets to use but I didn't like the idea of punching holes in my bc.