PDA

View Full Version : dive flags and dive buoys

missnumnutz
10-15-2007, 20:20
For risk of sounding silly but are these compulsory for shore dives?
i've been shore diving with my buddy at a small beach.. should we be towing a dive buoy along with us?

is it ok to snitch off the buoy that other dive classes are using at the same beach floating nearby...?:smiley36:

Tom A
10-15-2007, 20:24
what if they leave while your down take your own

tbuckalew
10-16-2007, 10:54
Check your local laws. In many locations, you must float a flag and there are rules around that as well (some tow, some only indicate you must descend and surface within x feet of it).

So it really depends upon where you are diving. I've seen a number of posts on these boards from people all over the country that are pretty familiar with the dive flag regs in their areas. Hopefully, you will find one from down under to give you the details!

As for diving off another group's flag - it might be problematic if you finished your dive and the flag was no longer there!

mike_s
10-16-2007, 11:19
i've been shore diving with my buddy at a small beach.. should we be towing a dive buoy along with us?

is it ok to snitch off the buoy that other dive classes are using at the same beach floating nearby...?:smiley36:

Chances are your local state has a law that requires it, whether you're shore diving or in a boat.

Your choice to use it shore diving as everyone knows towing a flag is a pain, but just depends on how you want to handle it for safety purposes and how good 'Johnny Law' is at catching you. I've dove with other flags present from other divers or classes. Sometimes they leave before you sometimes they don't.

check out US States at this URL for the law.

http://www.dive-flag.com/law.html

Just noticed you weren't in the US but Austrailia. I'm sure they have similar laws, but you'd need to check.

No Misses
10-16-2007, 11:29

Here in south Florida it is the law. You must fly a diver down flag. The boaters around here are insane. I have seen a 60' motor yacht run over a dive buoy. I am not even sure if anybody was at the helm. They may have gone down to get something from the bar.

When shore diving I use 25' of 3/16 poly line. Shore dives in Ft Lauderdale tend to be >20'. The poly line floats. So, it does not get snagged on the reef and it does a good job of staying away from me. :smiley20:

When I am diving out on the deeper spots (40-100'), I use a reel w/150' of line.

As for the buoy itself. I start out with a standard off the shelf dive float/buoy. After I break the flag pole/stick (usually withing 1 yr), I replace it with a piece of 1/2" shedule 40 PVC pipe. I also replace the standard red & white flag with a vinyl, florescent orange & white, one. I find these much easier to see. You can also stick reflective tape on the PVC pipe for better vis on night dives.

As a boat owner, I know how hard it is to spot dive flags. If I am driving into or with the wind, the dive flag will be "viewed from the edge. That 14" flag will now look like a 3/8" x 14 inch stick in the water. Add salt spay on your sunglasses and/or windshield and now it is very easy to miss seeing that flag. That is why I try to make my flag as visable as possible.

Dive flags will not guarantee that you will not get run over, But it sure puts the odds in your favor. Even if it is not the law in your area, you should fly a diver down flag whenever you are in the water. IMHO.

Happy diving.

RECDiver
10-16-2007, 11:35
I don't know about Australia, but there is a dive flag law in Texas, however it is not mandatory.

mike_s
10-16-2007, 11:37
I don't know about Australia, but there is a dive flag law in Texas, however it is not mandatory.

heck, In TEXAS, I thought you were allowed to 'shoot back' if a boat came near your dive flag? :smilie39:

danielh03
10-17-2007, 02:56

heck, In TEXAS, I thought you were allowed to 'shoot back' if a boat came near your dive flag? :smilie39:

What would you expect from a state that was an express lane on death row??? LOL :smilie39: :smiley20:

RoadRacer1978
10-17-2007, 08:26

What would you expect from a state that was an express lane on death row??? LOL :smilie39: :smiley20:

What's wrong with that?:smilie40:

scubajane
11-14-2007, 19:24
we dive at mt storm in wv. there was a fisherman who dropped anchor near our dive flag. we giggled about how to teach him about proper dive flag manners. we thought about putting a hot dog on his line and giving it a big yank. maybe tying his line to a dive platform. maybe just cutting his line.

RoadRacer1978
11-14-2007, 19:37
Should have tied his anchor of to the platfom or cut the rope to his anchor and let him float away. If you had some wetnotes you could have written him a nice little note and attached it to his hook and sent it up to him.