PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Pro Plus 2 Integrated Computer Console

cooltravelnews
10-16-2007, 02:45
I bought it in June and dove it 20-dives. It is a liberal computer. Definitely not for deco diving. I used it on Truk to 182' and it will lock up too quick. It made it 5-dives on Bikini Atoll before it froze up and went into gauge mode. I sent in in and it was fine. It gives you one really liberal deep dive then wham stay out the rest of the day.

Easy to read & tough. I dropped it from 4' feet on tile and came back fine. Realize the quick disconnect won't hold until it is locked in by tank pressure on the hose. It will fall off so don't hook it on until you are ready to open your tank.

Have a back up manual or digital gauges as you will have nothing when it goes out.

ScubaToys Larry
10-16-2007, 05:36
I'm a bit confused by your description of the computer. I actualy used the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus II (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DatamaxPro) on the same dive as you! Truk lagon the prop at the Hokuyo Maru. We pushed into a deco obligation while on the sand at 170 or so, but with a slow asenct up to 50, then hanging out for a bit, then slowly up to 20, the obligation cleared, we waited until the nitrogen bars got of of the yellow, and back into the green, came up and did your SI, then dove the rest of the day. It was a store trip, and 6 of us were using that very same computer with no problem.

Every day we get in multiple dives, normally get it pushed into a small deco obligation at one point during the day - 5 minutes or so, but always cleared out and none of us had any problem at all. Nor have I in years of diving it to shallower depths, with and without deco.

The only time it will lock you out is if you have a required deco stop and blow through it.

Zenagirl
10-16-2007, 07:09
I'm confused too since the only dive operator on Bikini won't allow people to use Oceanic computers....

comet24
10-16-2007, 07:15
I'm confused too since the only dive operator on Bikini won't allow people to use Oceanic computers....

So what happens when you show up with one. They force you to rent or buy one of there's or not dive.

RoadRacer1978
10-16-2007, 08:34
So does that ban carry trhough to other computers like Aeris sicnce there are basically the same computer?

charlesml3
10-16-2007, 09:04
It gives you one really liberal deep dive then wham stay out the rest of the day.

Dude, I can't really understand what you're saying here. I have hundreds of dives on my Oceanic computer and never once had it "lock up" or anything. It sounds to me like you chose to ignore a mandatory deco stop. In that case the Ocanic will go into guage mode for 24 hours. This is all clearly documented in the user's guide.

I just read the web page on diving at Bikini and the diving there is mixed gas with staged deco. Oceanic (and a lot of other computer manufacturers) don't make a computer for that. This is clearly tech diving, not rec diving.

-Charles

ScubaToys Larry
10-16-2007, 09:20
Virtually all computers will shut down and go into gauge mode only if you bust a required stop. For example, if you are required to do a 10 minute deco stop, and you go straight to the surface and blow it off - the rules are - don't dive for 24 hours - so that's what the computer does.

Zenagirl
10-16-2007, 15:18
So what happens when you show up with one. They force you to rent or buy one of there's or not dive.

Yup, and they'll only rent you one of theirs IF they have one to rent. The website gives you all the information about what to bring and expect, etc. With the huge expense and difficulty of diving Bikini, those that go are VERY careful about the rules.

charlesml3
10-17-2007, 08:46
those that go are VERY careful about the rules.

Exactly. Bikini is clearly very technical and most of the recreational computers are inappropriate there. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with Oceanic computers or any of the other ones they don't recommend in Bikini.

-Charles

mulefeathers
10-17-2007, 10:45
Easy to read & tough. I dropped it from 4' feet on tile and came back fine. Realize the quick disconnect won't hold until it is locked in by tank pressure on the hose. It will fall off so don't hook it on until you are ready to open your tank.

I don't have this computer but my dive buddy does. His will lock on and hold just fine without the tank being on. With the tank on he can't remove it but other wise tank pressure is not necessary. You might want to get this checked. IMO

ScubaToys Larry
10-17-2007, 10:52
Yes, the way the Oceanic Datmax Pro Plus II Quick Disconnect works is you have to push in and twist. It is spring loaded in there, so after it's locked in place the Datamax will not just fall off. To remove it, you push in and rotate... and when under pressure, you will not be able to push in as the air pressure is stopping you from doing that. If your datamax does not work the same way, have it looked at.

kyfriedchipper
10-17-2007, 11:51
sounds like the ban is just to warrant more revenue

Zenagirl
10-17-2007, 13:32
They ban computers that can't do staged decompression. Oceanic/Aeris computers are set up for recreational diving, not staged deco.

We have QDs on both our Aeris AI and Pro+2 and have never had a problem with a computer falling off once put on a hose. You do have to be careful when you disconnect though. It's important to make sure you turn off your air and purge the system or you can easily blow an o-ring on the QD. This happened to a friend of ours on our liveaboard trip this summer.

Hollywood703
10-22-2007, 12:02
well i guess i wont be going to bikini ever.....it is more important for me to use MY equipment for comfort than to use theirs. I wont ever use a dive outft that requires that has these restrictions, if you have the training, and have used the equipment for similar dives, then the rule isnt warranted....

Jipps
10-24-2007, 10:42
well i guess i wont be going to bikini ever.....it is more important for me to use MY equipment for comfort than to use theirs. I wont ever use a dive outft that requires that has these restrictions, if you have the training, and have used the equipment for similar dives, then the rule isnt warranted....

I agree, I bought my gear for a reason. Im not about to go somewhere and dive on unfamiliar equipment. Now, if i start getting more into tech stuff and happen to upgrade to a new computer, ill make sure to get one that is acceptable.

charlesml3
10-24-2007, 17:38
well i guess i wont be going to bikini ever

I think you're missing the point here. This isn't about Bikini specifically. You also wouldn't take a recreational dive computer to the sand at the Oriskany either. That's like 210 feet of water.

The website about Bikini is saying that all of the dives are very technical and require staged bottles and deco stops. That's beyond the capabilities of most recreational computers. They're not trying to rent or sell you gear to make money. The site dictates the equipment that's suitable.

-Charles

terrillja
10-24-2007, 17:44
well i guess i wont be going to bikini everI think you're missing the point here. This isn't about Bikini specifically. You also wouldn't take a recreational dive computer to the sand at the Oriskany either. That's like 210 feet of water.

The website about Bikini is saying that all of the dives are very technical and require staged bottles and deco stops. That's beyond the capabilities of most recreational computers. They're not trying to rent or sell you gear to make money. The site dictates the equipment that's suitable.

-Charles

Yeah, I don't think the ProPlus 2 will support on-the-fly gas changes, which is what you would need to do so it knows you are using EAN70, and its max EAN level is 50%.

Defman
10-24-2007, 18:52
half way down the page.

Welcome to Bikini Atoll (http://www.bikiniatoll.com/)

oops... first you have to click the dive/ tourism button on the left.

Direct link to the frame
Message from the Head Divemaster (http://www.bikiniatoll.com/divemaster%20advice.html)