PDA

View Full Version : Blackbeard Cruise in November

Liv7301
07-17-2007, 08:21
My husband and I are taking a Blackbeard cruise in November over the week of Thanksgiving. (We wanted to go on the trip ST was putting together but I am a school teacher and I don't think my district would enjoy me taking off for a week at the beginning of the year!)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have heard very positive things about Blackbeard liveaboards from various people but would still like to put a post out there on your thoughts, especially in the areas of: food quality, motionsickness issues, privacy since the below deck area is very open, and your satisfaction on the various dive sites. Also, how was the shark dive? Curious since that is what my husband is looking forward to the most!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Looking forward to your comments! Thanks!</DIV>

cyclical
07-17-2007, 10:38
I was looking into that as well.. I would love to do this. My wife however is a bit nervous of living on a boat for a week (she gets motion sickness pretty easily).
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>However last year in Coz. Ginger pills and Meclazine seemed to do the trick on preventing it. </DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-17-2007, 10:47
We have one going in September... 4 spots left!

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BlackBeardsTrip

ertechsg
07-17-2007, 10:50

Shouldn't you be working. Know wander Joe is always napping in the office.

jacewindu
07-17-2007, 11:31
I've been on a few liveaboards, and many of the people I've met take dramomine. It seems to work fine.

Liv7301
07-17-2007, 12:05

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We so desparately wanted to go on the shop's trip with Tom Ford The Warm Fuzzy but nooooooo it had to be in September at the beginning of the school year! So, November it is!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>So it seems like everyone out there is basically complaint free when it comes to Blackbeard?</DIV>

cyclical
07-17-2007, 14:54
I would love to go... Don't think there would be any way I would make that after going to Cozumel July 26-Aug 1st though.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I would be broke.. :(</DIV>

Dabaras
07-17-2007, 16:26
I'm shooting for the New Years trip on Blackbeards.

ertechsg
07-17-2007, 22:30
I would love to go... Don't think there would be any way I would make that after going to Cozumel July 26-Aug 1st though.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I would be broke.. :(</DIV> You picked up diving as a hobbie your going to be broke anyway http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

techgnostic
07-17-2007, 22:56
<DIV>So it seems like everyone out there is basically complaint free when it comes to Blackbeard?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Yeah, I've a complaint about liveaboards: Afterwords you won't want to live on land!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Maybe it was 7 years of NYC apartment living...but man I LOVE being aboard a sailboat. If my partner wasn't an artist (she works in oils) who need studio space I'd have pestered her to get a SV years ago. It makes me relaxed just thinking about the rocking motion. Yarrrr.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>After seeing the Blackbeard site, I have to get her certified asap.</DIV>

Liv7301
07-18-2007, 08:29
I have yet to find someone with a complaint from their Blackbeard experience. The closest I have seen to a complaint was from people who were unhappy with themselves about how they managed a motion sickness issue.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>To be honest I had concerns about privacy since the bunks are fairly open but that seems to be lessening since nobody else has had issues with that.</DIV>

fire diver
07-18-2007, 11:41
How about the Fling and Spree? Is ST going to do any FG trips? My daughter and I would love to dive the gardens. It would have to be during next years season though.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

ertechsg
07-18-2007, 12:47
How about the Fling and Spree? Is ST going to do any FG trips? My daughter and I would love to dive the gardens. It would have to be during next years season though.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV> I'd go for that. Larryor Joehow about it? CAN we please,can we,can we, can we !http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

Liv7301
07-18-2007, 14:25
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV> I'd go for that. Larryor Joehow about it?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>A ST trip out to FG sounds fantastic! My husband and I have already discussed that as a definite trip when we feel we are ready. And if ST put it together then that would be even better!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Can we Larry and Joe??? Pretty please???</DIV>

ertechsg
07-18-2007, 15:59
Youknow it's in the making now. They would NEVER tellus NO.

Vercingetorix
07-18-2007, 16:33
Youknow it's in the making now. They would NEVER tellus NO. OK...the answer is NO.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>About two weeks ago, I spoke to Joe about an FG trip on the Spree or Fling (I'm going 18 Aug with Mac MacPherson). I suggested to Joe that ST set-up an FG trip. His response: "You couldn't PAY me to take that trip. You could offer me $10,000 and I'd say no." He then tapped his foot on the concrete floor of the shop and said, "This floor is more comfortable than the beds on the boats". "We'll talk after you return from your dive trip, Rick. Let me know."</DIV>

Liv7301
07-18-2007, 17:13
Ok, Rick it's up to you to return beaming about how fantastic it was. :)

Seriously though, can't Joe and Larry wave their magic Safety Sausage of Power and find an operation that they can work with? Is that not what they have always done? There have been many times that they have been dissatisfied with what has been available(be it service, gear, you name it)so they stepped up and created what they wanted, thus making us all very, very happy.

ertechsg
07-18-2007, 20:17
Isn't AUG hammerhead breeding season down in the garden? Rick, make sure to take a camera. And as for ST setting up the tripit looks likeMAC will go so Joewon't have too or another trip"leader".

Liv7301
07-18-2007, 20:52
Yest another reason ScubaToys should set up a trip for FG. They wouldn't even have to go!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Do it Larry and Joe!! Wave the Magic Safety Sausage of Power!!</DIV>

Dabaras
07-19-2007, 16:19
Isn't AUG hammerhead breeding season down in the garden? Rick, make sure to take a camera.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>No. February and March are hammerhead migration season. Late march is iffy, depends on the water temperature. The colder it is, the better your chances. September is coral spawning. Also, late August-October, there are very slim chances you can catch a whale shark. It is still one of my favorites. As much as I like Blackbeards, I like the Gardens better.</DIV>

NinaBo7
07-20-2007, 10:36
I did Blackbeard's over this past New Year's and it was fantastic. I would love to go back every New Year's.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>To combat possible seasickness, I just pre-medicated each morning with dramamine. I recommend this, especially because they usually leave Freeport and head right out towards Bimini, so it's a long, possibly bumpy crossing. If you wait, and feel seasick, it's already too late. You get used to the movement of the boat pretty quickly. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Depending on which area of the boat you will be sleeping, there is more/less privacy. For instance, if you take a double berth in the main salon area where the cooking/eating/socializing go on, there is very limited privacy. I slept in the far fore bunk area. There were four of us ladies, single bunk beds on each side, and we had a door that closed our section off. If you wanted to change, you could close the door. Also, all bunks have a curtain you can pull across for privacy.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Since you are going with your spouse, you will likely want a double berth. This gives you two choices, the main salon area, or this other section of bunks closer to the bow of the boat that has bunked double berths. There would definitely be more privacy in this section.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Overall, you will get in at least 4 dives a day, the crew is great, there is always tons of food and you will forget your bunk is small, since you'll be exhausted. Also, don't miss the shark feed at Bull Run!</DIV>

Liv7301
07-20-2007, 12:50
I have never had problems with seasickness or motionsickness before and I have been on a variety of boats...basically everything from a little aluminum fishing boat to a cruise shipand many things in between. I do plan to bring something for it though because I don't want to take the chance.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I believe we have reserved a double berth in the more forward section of the ship by the bow. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We are very excited about the shark feed. Myself because it just sounds exciting and my husband because he has been shark obsessed since he was a little boy. When Shark Week is on, there is no remote sharing. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for sharing your experience! I really value the opinions of people around here so I am glad that you posted!</DIV>

cutter77
07-31-2007, 00:46
The shark dive at Bull Run with Blackbeard's is what gave me a better handle on sharks....I learned they're not all "Jaws" and it was interesting to watch their behaviors pre/during/post the feeding.

pjm1128
08-01-2007, 10:33
I have done four Blackbeards trips, all before they moved the operation to Freeport from Miami. Not having to do the crossing from Miami should get you a lot more diving as you can start right away instead of all those hours spent getting TO the Bahamas. You can't beat the price, but space is tight. Your scuba gear gets unloaded into a locker on deck and your other stuff (clothes, toiletries, etc) lives in your bunk with you. If you bring a lot of stuff, there won't be much room for you to sleep as there is minimal (if any) storage area in bunk spaces. The food is great, the shark dive is AWESOME. I've had motion sickness problems ever since I was a kid, but Bonine does the trick for me, and doesn't make me sleepy. I think the more boat trips I've done, the easier it's gotten and I don't even use the Bonine that much anymore. I just got back from a trip on the Cat Ppalu out of Nassau (another boat owned by Blackbeards owner), but a bit more roomy...12 divers on a 65 ft catamaran as opposed to 22 divers on Blackbeards boats, but also a bit more expensive.

Liv7301
08-01-2007, 13:20
Soooo excited about the shark dive!! It will definitely be a highlight for us I can already tell! Someone put a post up on this thread about how Airtran is discontinuing service to Freeport but it got lost with the server change. I think I will repost my experience with Airtran in a separate thread for general public info.

jawfish
08-04-2007, 08:28
Be sure to post a trip report when you get back! I for one am interested in a very detailed report of Blackbeard's. We are thinking of doing one next year.

Liv7301
08-07-2007, 00:25
Definitely will! It will be a series of 1sts for us:

First big travel vacation with my husband

First ocean dives

His first time to the Bahamas

I don't doubt that when we get home (after crashing for a very long sleep) I will be here shouting from the roof tops about how great it was. I have yet to see someone be disappointed in a Blackbeard so I am hoping the same for us when we go.

MDQuiz
08-07-2007, 09:56
My husband and I are going on the Blackbeard trip September 1st, is there anyone else on line that is taking this trip as well? We were wondering who our bunkmates would be. Also kind of curious about the number of people on board with us.

mike_s
08-07-2007, 10:32
My husband and I are going on the Blackbeard trip September 1st, is there anyone else on line that is taking this trip as well? We were wondering who our bunkmates would be. Also kind of curious about the number of people on board with us.

The entire boat will be your bunkmates. It's "open bunking", not private cabins.

You should expect there to be about 22 people on board plus the crew.

Liv7301
08-07-2007, 11:40
But at least if you are going on the trip through the shop, you know you will be in excellent company! We scubatoys people are all good folk :)

ScubaSteve
08-08-2007, 12:18

Hey!

I started a thread the other day for the Scubatoys trip. Check it out. Lookin forward to it!

quarrydiver
08-11-2007, 11:36
Blackbeard's is great! Been on several times and it's always different. Think camping at sea though because quarters are tight. Bring as little as possible. I've done the trip with and without the meds. I suggest taking the meds, you won't have to fight seasickness.

quarrydiver
08-11-2007, 11:40
Be sure to check out the end of the world bar if you end up in Bimini! Bring an extra pair of underwear.

porsche060
08-13-2007, 16:47
Any good diving cruises for NYE?

porsche060
08-13-2007, 22:02
Where in NYC did you live techgnostic

Xspect
08-13-2007, 22:18
Try ginger root it works wonders

I've been on a few liveaboards, and many of the people I've met take dramomine. It seems to work fine.