PDA

View Full Version : Online Nitrox Certification??

TRACI
10-16-2007, 08:16
Does anyone know if the online nitrox certification is actually legitimate? It seems like it would be alot more convenient to be able to do the class online.

ScubaToys Larry
10-16-2007, 08:19
No, none of the agencies allow or recognize that. It's pretty hard to test a tank using an analyzer on the web.

RoadRacer1978
10-16-2007, 08:39
True, although there are no dives nows, you still have to learn some hands on skills that cannot be practiced on the net.

RECDiver
10-16-2007, 11:39
I thought SDI had an online Nitrox course? However, I agree with Larry about using the analyzer.

Zenagirl
10-16-2007, 15:31
Yup, SDI has an online nitrox course. You have to meet up with your instructor to review the final exam and analyze tanks at the end to get your c-card.

plot
10-21-2007, 07:43
it's usually only a 4 hour class anyways. if you do all your work before hand, it can be a lot less. all our instructor did was review our book work and show us the analyzer... isn't a whole lot more too it. dive ops will show you how to use their own analyzer anyways if you ask.

here's the SDI course: International Training :: Diver Services :: Online Computer Nitrox Release (http://tdisdistage.com/index.php?did=78&site=3)

SDI is probably one of the better (if not best) agencies out their in terms of being convenient and not trying to take all your money. They teach you the standards and give you the card, they normally don't go beyond that though.

BobbyWombat
01-03-2008, 12:19
Is SDI and TDI pretty universally recognized around the world? Would PADI be significantly better just due to recognition?

CompuDude
01-03-2008, 12:54
Is SDI and TDI pretty universally recognized around the world? Would PADI be significantly better just due to recognition?

PADI certainly has a higher recognition factor, but SDI/TDI cards should be accepted just fine.

I'm not a fan of SDI's online offerings, however. I don't feel they teach as much as PADI's books + classroom time does. Shops love it, however, as it's cheaper for them and takes less of their time.

Soonerwink
01-03-2008, 19:47
There is an online nitrox course offered by SDA Online Nitrox Certification - Scuba (http://www.onlinenitroxlessons.com/nitroxlessons.html)
I don't think their cards are recognized by many shops. The Spree and Fling at the Flower Gardens does not recognize their cards. Capt. Frank said he never heard of them. I ended up just taking the PADI course.

CompuDude
01-03-2008, 20:05
SDI (http://www.tdisdi.com/) is recognized nationally and internationally because of it's older brother, TDI (http://www.tdisdi.com/), a technical instruction agency.

I've never heard of SDA before, and if they're offering online Nitrox certs, I don't think I would take one of their cards, either, no matter what their website says.

Tom A
01-03-2008, 20:54
online courses need to go away or be reduced theres way's to beat the test

cummings66
01-05-2008, 07:53
There are ways to beat any test given, it depends on how motivated you are about it.

wheelman
01-05-2008, 08:19
I don't think "beating" the test is the point of taking the instruction, even if it can be done. The person who does this just to get a card is only endangering themselves and possibly their dive buddies.

Duckydiver
01-06-2008, 13:14
I don't know why one would take an online class with regards to scuba diving. It doesen't seen to save much time and I think I would rather have the human interaction.
The only beifit might be price. Does any one know how much it is.

plot
01-06-2008, 13:41
I don't know why one would take an online class with regards to scuba diving. It doesen't seen to save much time and I think I would rather have the human interaction.

Convienence of doing it whenever instead of having to schedule a class and show up to a class.

bperrybap
01-06-2008, 14:31

Ok, consider this. You are booking a liveaboard vacation. The dive-op
says "Hey we offer nitrox which can give you longer bottom times and
shorter surface intervals. Would you like to use it?,Are you Nitrox certified?".
You say "No".
They come back with, "We can offer you a special rate on a nitrox certification,
that you can take online and be ready when you show up. We can then
show you how to analyze your tanks, do the final paperwork the evening
when you show up, and you can be diving Nitrox your first dive in the morning!".

I believe online classes are great for something like Nitrox. I think that this
type of instruction will be more and more popular especially as instruction
costs continue to rise.

The above example show how an organization like PADI could offer new instruction
opportunities to Resorts & Diveops. DiveOps and Resorts are in much better
position to be able to subsidize the instruction costs than the LDS.
Heck, they might even be able to throw in the online class, to sell the nitrox
for the trip.

For many consumers online instruction will be a win. It can lower the cost of
instruction as well as let them do the instruction at their pace and on
their time schedule.

--- bill

plot
01-06-2008, 14:36

shorter surface intervals. Would you like to use it?,Are you Nitrox certified?".
You say "No".
They come back with, "We can offer you a special rate on a nitrox certification,
when you show up, and you can be diving Nitrox your first dive in the morning!".

costs continue to rise.

The above example show how an organization like PADI could offer new instruction
for the trip.

their time schedule.

--- bill

And as for "cheating online tests" go, in this scenario all the instruction could be online and a test given after the person shows up and is shown how to use the analyzer. Would take 20 minutes in the actual shop and the person would be ready to go.

And the shop already saves on not having to pay an instructor to be there talking for 3-4 hours.

awap
01-06-2008, 14:38

You say "No".

costs continue to rise.

for the trip.

their time schedule.

--- bill

The problem is LDSs don't want to lose the income and there is no shortage of underemplyed instructors. I believe the local shops would not support it.

mitsuguy
01-06-2008, 19:35

You say "No".

costs continue to rise.

for the trip.

their time schedule.

--- bill

The problem is LDSs don't want to lose the income and there is no shortage of underemplyed instructors. I believe the local shops would not support it.

I agree, but at the same time would love to take an online course... I've never used a nitrox analyzer, but I'm sure it's a relatively simple device... (I've used engine and refrigerant gas analyzers and they all work pretty much the same way)

At any rate, one of these days, I'll be taking a nitrox class, but the instruction part of it will be useless, as I have already read all the materials, and comprehend them completely... Not that an instructor wouldn't be able to teach me or help me understand, but I am the type that is better off reading and studying alone - I have some mild ADD and listening to some teachers lecture sets it off bad....

CompuDude
01-06-2008, 19:51
Nitrox is actually the one class I can see doing as partially online. Must be partially online, IMO, with a wrap up session in person for a final test and the hands-on analyzing. This would benefit those with scheduling issues or in-person learning issues, but it's important to still have the option of in-class learning, because many have serious issues with math and the realtime exchange from a live teacher is critical.

So I will never agree with a 100% online course for Nitrox, but I'm ok with doing a portion online and finishing up in person. The online course mentioned earlier in this thread, however, from the unknown dive agency, is 100% unline and unsuitable in my eyes,

Mitsuguy, in my experience, Nitrox classes (smaller ones, at least) tend to be pretty quick review sessions of the books anyway, so you probably would be fine since you understand the materials anyway. That's the critical part. A few sample problems to ensure everyone is on board, a final test, and some hand-on testing, and you're good to go.

This is entirely aside from the lack of training about the particularities of ox tox rescue techniques, and how they differ from regular techniques. That's not covered at all in most classes, and really needs to be.

Duckydiver
01-06-2008, 20:42

You say "No".

costs continue to rise.

for the trip.

their time schedule.

--- bill

Point well taken.
But it still requiers a proper "hands on" demo of how to use the related equipment

DollFin
01-06-2008, 23:59
I don't know why one would take an on line class with regards to scuba diving. It doesen't seen to save much time and I think I would rather have the human interaction.
The only benefit might be price. Does any one know how much it is.

Convenience of doing it whenever instead of having to schedule a class and show up to a class.

I took the PADI e-learning class, which was $120 (that's for the e-learning part only; you would still need to pay for your practical training) and gives you all the academic part of the training. When you sign up, you have to select a dive op from their list to align yourself with and an instructor from whatever op you select contacts you - they are there to assist with any questions or problems you may have during the course. You can either do your confined water training with your instructor while you take the course if that is convenient for you, or you have up to a year from the time you sign up. You are also given an in-person review test by your instructor to be certain that you really did the course and know the material.

I did it this way since I was getting my certification from my friends who own a dive op in St. Thomas - I did the e-learning here from home and then did all my confined and open water sessions when I got there. For me, it worked great! I found the e-learning very comprehensive, as well as easy to understand and follow. Most of the text is accompanied by an audio track, and there are great videos that accompany and summarize the lessons, so whether you learn better by reading or by audio/visual information, you're covered. Another reason it worked well for me was because of my visual impairment - all the dive shops around here are out in the 'burbs and hard to get to by bus, so getting to classes would be a challenge unless I could find someone willing to carpool. Also, it was great to be able to do it all at my own pace and at whatever time of the day or night I chose.

So, from my perspective, an on-line course has many advantages.

plot
01-07-2008, 16:35

Who cares what the local shops will or won't do, most people go away to resorts to dive, and that's where your target is. Get their class out of the way online, get their dives done at the resort.

Or with nitrox, get class out of the way online, spend 20 minutes at the resort... resort turns around and sells them the card, and the nitrox.

There's zero advantage for an LDS as it's taking business elseware and doesn't give instructors a chance to put on the "sell" for the shops gear.

bperrybap
01-07-2008, 17:50
There's zero advantage for an LDS as it's taking business elseware and doesn't give instructors a chance to put on the "sell" for the shops gear.

Not sure I agree with this. I think a saavy LDS could use the online training
to their advantage.
Rather than fighting it, they could embrace it.
For example, by offering reduced cost online training, or even free online training,
with a nitrox computer purchase.

In fact, I think manufacturers could even sweeten the pie by offering
online nitrox class vouchers to people that purchase their latest new
highend whizbang nitrox computers from one of their authorized dealers.

Many people seem to be focused too much on the small picture and
miss out on the larger picture opportunities.

Rather than fight business model/technology changes, or consumer preferences,
some times it is easier/better to embrace it and figure out how to use it to
help reduced overhead and boost sales and bottom line while at the same
time offering consumers more options and potentially even cost savings.

--- bill

plot
01-07-2008, 22:07

Not sure I agree with this. I think a saavy LDS could use the online training
to their advantage.
Rather than fighting it, they could embrace it.
For example, by offering reduced cost online training, or even free online training,
with a nitrox computer purchase.

In fact, I think manufacturers could even sweeten the pie by offering
online nitrox class vouchers to people that purchase their latest new
highend whizbang nitrox computers from one of their authorized dealers.

Many people seem to be focused too much on the small picture and
miss out on the larger picture opportunities.

Rather than fight business model/technology changes, or consumer preferences,
some times it is easier/better to embrace it and figure out how to use it to
help reduced overhead and boost sales and bottom line while at the same
time offering consumers more options and potentially even cost savings.

--- bill

Could very well do this too. I know my LDS now offers a computer specialty for X amount of dollars when people take OW... so maybe the specialty is a joke but the shop lets the people use a computer and afterwords they're hooked. As an incentive to buy a computer from the actual shop afterwords, they get the X amount they spent for the specialty off the price of whatever computer they want to get.

With some specialties there are definately ways to turn it to your advantage, Nitrox would be one of them.

For a complete OW course online though, an LDS could get left in the dust pretty easily.

navyhmc
01-07-2008, 22:48
I'm about to do my Nitrox course-at a local LDS. My thought is that though I have read the material and completed the quizes and knowledge reviews numerous times-a bonus for getting your books a month in advance-I still want the class so I can ask any questions that weren't answered by the materials. Also, someone else in the class may get an answer to a question that I didn't think of but am now glad it was asked.

Call me old school, but there's nothing wrong with good old class room interaction. Besides, you might get a few good buddies out of the class.

awap
01-08-2008, 08:50

Who cares what the local shops will or won't do, most people go away to resorts to dive, and that's where your target is. Get their class out of the way online, get their dives done at the resort.

Or with nitrox, get class out of the way online, spend 20 minutes at the resort... resort turns around and sells them the card, and the nitrox.

Unfortunately, the agencies that provide the training seem to care. I believe PADI experimented with an online nitrox course and it is now gone. SDI would seem to be the only agency putting the diving customer's desires ahead of the nLDS customer's desires. In fact, nitrox is a course where you should be able to read the book; then show up to take a final test & analyze a tank or 2 and be certified. Many courses could cut way back on classroom time and focus instead on exams and practice exercises.

awap
01-08-2008, 08:54
I'm about to do my Nitrox course-at a local LDS. My thought is that though I have read the material and completed the quizes and knowledge reviews numerous times-a bonus for getting your books a month in advance-I still want the class so I can ask any questions that weren't answered by the materials. Also, someone else in the class may get an answer to a question that I didn't think of but am now glad it was asked.

Call me old school, but there's nothing wrong with good old class room interaction. Besides, you might get a few good buddies out of the class.

They aught to have some online scuba forums where things like that could be discussed. And you could even make some friends there.

squee!
01-08-2008, 15:49
Does anyone know how much SDI charges for their Online Nitrox course? I'm just curious.

CompuDude
01-08-2008, 16:40
Does anyone know how much SDI charges for their Online Nitrox course? I'm just curious.

No idea, although it won't do you any good anyway unless you have an LDS that can finish the cert in person, to do the hands-on finishing work.

squee!
01-08-2008, 16:56

No idea, although it won't do you any good anyway unless you have an LDS that can finish the cert in person, to do the hands-on finishing work.

Sure, I realize that. I went though NAUI for my nitrox cert and If I remember correctly since it was years ago, I did between 2-4 dives. I think I paid around $250-300 when all was said and done, just curious how "cheap" the SDI alternative is/was.

plot
01-08-2008, 20:45
I did nitrox through SSI, 250-300, about 2-3 hours of class which basically was just going over our answers in the book and using the analyzer and alot of BSing in between. No dives at all.

What do you need dives for exactly? Breaths the same as air.

mitsuguy
01-08-2008, 20:49

Sure, I realize that. I went though NAUI for my nitrox cert and If I remember correctly since it was years ago, I did between 2-4 dives. I think I paid around $250-300 when all was said and done, just curious how "cheap" the SDI alternative is/was.

That sounds high to me... the LDS we used to be close to told me $125 for the cert including two boat dives... the dives really don't mean anything, just some actual dive time is all really... (he also said free if I bought a nitrox computer from them at the time, but I didn't like their selections)

CompuDude
01-08-2008, 21:14
Every local shop charges different rates, even within the same area sometimes. Different geographic areas have wildly varying "normal" rates for classes, so there's little point to seeing what other people paid for a specific class type unless you're just interested in seeing what rates are like in other places in the country.

kancho
01-08-2008, 22:36
200-300 wow that is expensive. We have LDS here (PADI) who will do the PADI Enriched for about 100 dollars plus books.. I think florida has it for 175 and it includes everything even 2 boat dives.

CompuDude
01-08-2008, 23:28
200-300 wow that is expensive. We have LDS here (PADI) who will do the PADI Enriched for about 100 dollars plus books.. I think florida has it for 175 and it includes everything even 2 boat dives.

Actually, you're right... $200-300 is pretty expensive for a Nitrox cert... I thought that was for a full OW cert!

Although now that I look at it, if it includes 2-4 dives that may not be so bad. I think most shops around here charge $100-150 for the Nitrox course, no dives included (or needed, now that the old requirement is gone). If you want the optional dives it would just be the cost of a day's boat fees (generally $75-125 around here)... which puts you in the same high cost range.

squee!
01-09-2008, 00:06
I did nitrox through SSI, 250-300, about 2-3 hours of class which basically was just going over our answers in the book and using the analyzer and alot of BSing in between. No dives at all.

What do you need dives for exactly? Breaths the same as air.

Not much for the dives, just actual practice diving the EAN tables. I think the dives were at 1007 or so. No decompression of course. And they were boat dives, I had to drive to the other side of the island to do them.

lucky
02-20-2009, 22:04
I have been diving for 27 years and I just got a nitrox cert online from SDA. It's an excellent course and I recommend it for experienced divers. It's a great refresher for people who have spent the last 20 years diving by computer. All nitrox is is a different set of tables. If you can convert from the navy tables to some 10 meter a minute table you can learn to use the nitrox tables. If you can use a tire gage you can use an oxygen analyzer. The old PADI wheel is more complicated than Nitrox. Being in the military I have dove all over world in cold water, warm water, clear water and black water. SDA on line is just fine.

Sansho
02-21-2009, 09:07
SDA on line is just fine.
Do dive shops accept SDA certs? As I recall from other threads some shops don't recognize SDA.

ReefHound
02-21-2009, 09:51
PADI is planning to offer Nitrox course through it's e-learning program later this year. You will have to affiliate with a dive shop and go there for review, tank analysis, and exam.

navyhmc
02-21-2009, 10:34
SDA on line is just fine.
Do dive shops accept SDA certs? As I recall from other threads some shops don't recognize SDA.

From what I have read posted, most do not.

I'm of the opinion that "Lucky" is indeed the person behind SDA and is attempting to garner interest again in a system that is not recognised by any outside organization.

SDA has been discussed by a good number of people, including Larry as an online system that is not recognised by any known Scuba certification agency. In other words a scam at the worst and a waste of money at best.

In other words, Lucky is a spammer.

ETA: At least the SDA website took off the list of affiliated shops after a number of us on this site contacted some of the shops who were clueless that their shop was listed as affiliating with SDA and would accept their referrals. Again-this screams scam.

navyhmc
02-21-2009, 10:37
If Reefhound is right, this will be a good thing. Folks can do the course work on line through a world wide recognised certification agency and since the student must affiliate with an instructor for the skills and exam, it meets all the requirements of PADI as well as documenting skill and knowledge levels of the student. Win - Win situation. This is somehting that SDA doesn't have.

mksmith713
02-21-2009, 21:47
Has anyone on here who's slammed SDA actually looked into the course content for their Online Nitrox course?
I'm IANTD certified and did the SDA course out of curiosity and I have to say, the SDA online nitrox course is a really good course.
The content is thorough and well presented.
If you have questions while studying the material, you can fire them an e mail and they'll give you a quick response.
Another thing I thought was good about the course is that you were given the exams,and though it is on an honor system (it is an online course)...... if you didn't score a 100% on the first exam, you weren't allowed to move to the next exam and so it went for each section and exam.
I think there were 6 sections of study with an exam for each section and a final that covered all of the material.
I've used my SDA card to get fills without any problems though I do carry my IANTD card just in case the shop where I happen to be at any given time won't take it.
It's a shame SDA had sush a bad way to go with their regular online scuba course.
Kinda' F'ed up their credibility as a scuba educator.

But if you want to learn the material, these folks have done a good job of putting together a really nice online nitrox course that would be a good model for some of the bigger more recognized agencies that might be looking at offering their courses online.

Just my 2 cents worth but hey....., what do I know?

cjamarosa
07-19-2010, 20:12
Be very careful of the Online Nitrox Certification - I was scammed - $80.00 for the course - then they charged me $35.00 to mail me documents to fill out even befor they sent my c-card. Then on top of it all NO ONE will accept it to fill my tanks. I went to a few shope (PADI, SSI and NAUI).
It's a scam - don't waste your time and money - I have disputed the charges with my credit card company, but.....

Live and Learn:smiley19:

SlvrDragon50
07-19-2010, 20:21
That's kinda odd.. Most online nitrox certs are done through LDSs.

SDI for me.

navyhmc
07-19-2010, 20:32
Not picking on our new guy: cjamarosa, but holy thread resurrection!

Still though, welcome to the forum cjamarosa and I'm sorry you got scammed.

eta: Though a scary item from the SDA website FAQ:

Can I take the Nitrox Course if I'm NOT scuba certified?
Yes! You can purchase the course and complete the course. However, in order to receive a certification card, you have to provide "proof of previous certification". Some have completed the basic course and the nitrox course at the same time or "back to back". Then completed the basic course at their local dive shop. Once the you are a certified scuba diver, then you can receive the Nitrox Scuba Certification Card. This allows the diver to get the basic certification and use nitrox while on vacation.

Scary as all hades!