PDA

View Full Version : Scuba Divers of America?

Venio
10-16-2007, 10:47
Has anyone knows how legit is the SDA (http://www.divesda.com/)agency? I am looking to take the Nitrox class with them since it comes a lot cheaper than any shop but I want to be sure their c-card is accepted.

MSilvia
10-16-2007, 10:51
Never heard of it.

Venio
10-16-2007, 10:53
Matt, was Nitrox included in fundies?

ScubaToys Larry
10-16-2007, 10:54
Never heard of them, and it would not be accepted by Naui... Padi guys will have to voice an opinion here - or you cold call 800 pay padi and ask.

All the agencies require in class work and testing of cylinders for nitrox mixes... can't do that on the web. A legit Naui class is just about 40 bucks more (at least at our shop) and is accepted everywhere.

Venio
10-16-2007, 10:57
Never heard of them, and it would not be accepted by Naui... Padi guys will have to voice an opinion here - or you cold call 800 pay padi and ask.

All the agencies require in class work and testing of cylinders for nitrox mixes... can't do that on the web. A legit Naui class is just about 40 bucks more (at least at our shop) and is accepted everywhere.

Larry, does the price quoted includes the books?

Thanks.

dallasdivergirl
10-16-2007, 11:05
http://www.scubatoys.com/training/nitrox.asp

class and the books are $40 on top of that....

ScubaToys Larry
10-16-2007, 11:20
The Naui materials include the book, 3 tables, etc. The standard Nitrox materials kit is $65 - but if you want to buy it when taking the class, you can for $44.00. But it is not mandatory. You can sit through the lecture portion, and do the tank testing, etc and take the exam in the class without buying the materials, and if you have a nitrox computer - you may not feel any need for the tables - so it's up to you if you buy the materials or not.

RoadRacer1978
10-16-2007, 11:29
I can't say for sure but don't think PADI would accept it either as they have the same requirements of testing the tanks and such for certification.

RECDiver
10-16-2007, 11:40
I have never heard of Scuba Divers of America. Are they a dive training agency?

ScubaToys Larry
10-16-2007, 12:05
It's a guy that started doing an on line open water course - but then ran into the problem of people who took it would show up, with a certificate saying they've done their OW academics - and needed to do their pool and OW dives... but none of the agencies would accept their academic referral. If someone shows up at a Naui facility, we are allowed to give them credit for previous experience, and we can give them our test - but they do not cover the same material and to the same level - so the people could not pass our test - so they would have to do the academic portion of the naui course anyway.

We got a memo from Naui on them a while ago, and none of their curriculum's are accepted for any type of cross over, previous experience, for referrals, etc. We can accept Padi, SSI, YMCA, etc... but not them.

I guess there were some pretty PO'd folks that showed up places after paying money to them to find out their paperwork was not accepted. At least that's the story I got from a few folks.

comet24
10-16-2007, 12:18
Never heard of them but looking over there web site it looks a little shady. Sure they have nice pictures and tell you everything is good but something just doesn't seem right. I looked up some of the shops they have on there referral page and one is around me. Never heard of it. I think it's some instructor working from there home.

dogseatmayo
08-05-2008, 22:28
the sda is NOT a legitimite agency. It's just a scam. I know someone who fell for it and lets just say... you don't want to

fisheater
08-05-2008, 23:50
Oh my! Gotta say that I want to take a scuba class with any of the lasses on the website.

As for their "their" scuba shops, the website says that they're recommended, not that they know about about SDA or accept their "certifications." That said, the two in my area absolutely do NOT EXIST.

Just screams scam.

navyhmc
08-06-2008, 03:14
I went to their site and noted their "affiliate dive shops" One of them listed is Bonne Terre Mine/West End Dive shop. since i have been in their shop a few times and while I don't live in the St. Louis area, I know them well enough to send an email to them about SDA. I will see what type of response I get and will let you know.

MSilvia
08-06-2008, 09:00
No. There was some talk about using various mixes of nitrox and trimix, but no basic education in either was covered.

Lulubelle
08-06-2008, 10:03
I saw the SDA course too as I needed to get my Nitrox done FAST and couldn't find a date with any LDS here in NC. I thought it ODD that it was ALL online since no one else offers that. When I called some of the dive operators at the coast they said that they had never heard of it and wouldn't take it.

As for cost...I joined a charter than needed some more bodies to cover the boat cost. I covered the cost of my diving as everyone else did.

The trip organizer was a PADI instructor. I bought the book (23 or so), did the reading and knowledge reviews, he met me the evening before for a few hours, we reviewed everything, he gave me the test, and I dove Nitrox the rest of the weekend. He only charged me 58 dollars, but my friend and I also covered two unsold spots on the boat. Not the typical scenario, but got it done, for a good price, with a card coming that people would take.

L

Skred
08-06-2008, 11:21
The shop they list in Kansas is a legit shop that I have done business with in the past. I'll ping them and see what turns up.

CompuDude
08-06-2008, 11:46
No. There was some talk about using various mixes of nitrox and trimix, but no basic education in either was covered.

Fundies has included a basic Nitrox cert for the past year or so. It's new, but it is included now.

As for SDA, it's pretty much a joke, and a laughingstock on most of the boards. I'd avoid it. Spend a few more bucks and get a quality cert from a nationally recognized agency. SDA is not.

Skred
08-06-2008, 12:02
The guy I spoke to at Adventure Sports in Shawnee, Kansas was unfamiliar with the SDA and surprised to find out that they were listed on the SDA site.

I told him that I found out about it on the ST forum. He indicated to me that they would not accept academic referrals like this and thanked me/us for the heads up!:smiley20:

navyhmc
08-07-2008, 03:34
The guy I spoke to at Adventure Sports in Shawnee, Kansas was unfamiliar with the SDA and surprised to find out that they were listed on the SDA site.

I told him that I found out about it on the ST forum. He indicated to me that they would not accept academic referrals like this and thanked me/us for the heads up!:smiley20:

Same thing from West End Dive Shop in St. Louis. They too had never heard of them.

Okay, I'm all in!!! I go for scam to the max!!!:smiley21:

crgjpg
08-07-2008, 06:30
I like the concept of learning online for the knowlege base. Just by looking at the site it seems fishy. I find it odd that any ligit dive business would advertise with just woman on their site.

navyhmc
08-07-2008, 07:34
Maybe they're leaning towards a Women divers teaching women to dive???

CompuDude
08-07-2008, 12:42
???

The first pics in the first row are all women, but the rest of the photos are all mixed. The group shot has more men than women?

It's a scam, no doubt at this point, but I must be missing the basis for these last two comments...

navyhmc
08-08-2008, 01:03
Facetiousness, pure facetiousness on my part-definitely scam. :D

plot
08-10-2008, 08:33
I talked to my buddy at adventure sports in KC, they only take referrels from the major agencies not fly-by-night online deals.

that said, nitrox is the one course that could argueably be effectively taught online.

plot
08-10-2008, 08:37
Also, I don't think PADI accepts referral forms from anyone but PADI. They don't participate in the referral program.

scubahana
09-26-2012, 04:39
I know this thread is OLD but as I have just stumbled upon it myself then I would figure people are still reading it at least.
To put the question to rest, SDA is NOT a recognized training agency and never was.
It also goes under the name of Aquastrophics or onlinescubalessons.com.
PADI releases a quarterly magazine to its members outlining new policies, articles for diver retention etc.
In addition to this they have the Quality Management Statistics section in the back listing expulsions, suspensions and the like.
I've been a PADI Member for almost 5 years now and in each magazine there is a half column explanation specifically about SDA and its aliases and how they are NOT recognized by ANY agency nor the RTSC and that referrals will not be accepted.
This is due to the inability to monitor the quality of such programs and the educational validity of training conducted outside of the RTSC guidelines.

So anyone who isn't sure by even a whit can definitively reject SDA/Aquastrophics/onlinescubalessons.com because NONE of them are REAL, VALID, or ACCEPTED.