PDA

View Full Version : Tech classes by Scuba Toys

Venio
10-16-2007, 11:58
What kind of Tech classes are offered by Scuba Toys? I know they have Into to Tech, but are there any others?

Thanks.

RoadRacer1978
10-16-2007, 12:30
Good question. I didn't even know they offered any Tech classes. I didn;t see any listed on their website.

ertechsg
10-16-2007, 13:12
PM woody he teachs alot of them.

woody
10-16-2007, 23:43
Wow Where to begin?
Let me find the list and I'll post it here for you.
But,
Yes many more.

woody
10-17-2007, 02:19
ScubaToys Technical Course Offerings
These are Technical Diver Level course offered by ScubaToys through NAUI Technical Diving. We can also offer certifications through TDI as well.

Intro Tech
Tech Diver 1
Tech Diver 2
Tech Diver 3
Wreck Diver 1
Wreck Diver 2
Scooter 1
SCR Rebreather Dreager Dolphin

Intro Tech
Your NAUI Intro to Tech instructor will introduce you to dive planning, physics and physiology, decompression, and decompression associated with technical diving. The NAUI Technical Equipment Configuration (NTEC) course may also be available as part of your Intro to Tech course or as a separate technical course.
The Intro to Tech course is your first step to a whole new world of technical diving!

Tech Diver 1
The Tech Diver 1 course teaches you how to plan and execute Helium-based dives that may require stage decompression and utilize EANx and/or oxygen for stage decompression. This course is designed to teach you the hazards of utilizing Helium for dives to a maximum depth of 150 fsw that may require stage decompression, utilizing EANx mixtures and/or oxygen during decompression.

During your training, you’ll complete at least 14 open water dives using a EANx and Helitrox mixtures (26% oxygen / 17% helium). Your studies will include the knowledge necessary to plan and safely execute Helitrox dives including gas needs and requirements, oxygen toxicity limitations, nitrogen narcosis limitations, and emergency planning, including omitted decompression, oxygen toxicity, decompression sickness, and equipment failure.

Your instructor will also teach you equipment requirements including team requirements and NAUI Technical Equipment Configuration (NTEC), and decompression breathing gas mixtures (including oxygen, Helitrox, and EANx). You’ll learn the practical skills and knowledge you need for decompression diving within course parameters.

Earned Certifications Include:
NAUI Technical Nitrox
NAUI Decompression Procedures
NAUI Helitrox Diver

Tech Diver 2
This course is a continuation of the training undertaken during your Technical Diver I courses. Divers will now start to utilize greater concentration Helium mixes. We will continue our discussions on to helium bases breathing mixes. We will expand our previous discussions on Gear Configuration, Decompress Theory, Dive Planning, Emergency Planning and Appropriate Gas Selection, and Team Diving
NAUI Heliair Diver

Tech Diver 3
This is the deepest level of training offered from NAUITEC. It will rate the diver to use hypoxic Trimix to maximum training depths of 200' for Trimix I and 250' for Trimix II
Strict adherence to the NAUI Technical Equipment Configuration (NTEC) will be required.
NAUI Trimix 1
NAUI Trimix 2

Wreck Diver 1
The fascination of ship wrecks is something that has drawn many a person in to SCUBA diving.
In this course you will learn the moral and legal aspects of wreck diving. you will also be required to master the techniques necessary to safely explore around, on, and in these wrecks.
Certifications Earned:
NAUI Wreck Diver (Non Penetration)
NAUI Wreck Penetration Diver

Wreck Diver 2
By now in your wreck diving career you are wanting to dive in a little deeper wreck and penetrate a little farther. You will probable be doing technical dives at this point so this class talks about those skills and diving operation necessities for this type of diving.
Certifications Earned:
NAUI Technical Wreck Penetration

Scooter 1
This course is light years beyond your recreational DPV class, but then again so are these DPVs.
We will teach you how to use these very powerfully 'scooters' (DPV) in team and technical diving situations.
You will learn about electricity, design theory, proper setup techniques, proper maintenance techniques. After you understand the machines themselves get ready to ride'em. You will learn the techniques in effective use from riding techniques to how to deal with emergencies and their various procedures.
Certifications Earned:
NAUI DPV Pilot

SCR Rebreather Dreager Dolphin
This course will introduce you to the world of rebreather diving. You will start with an indepth study of rebreather design. You will then move on to the academics specific to the Dreager Dolphin SCR Rebreather.

Certifications Earned:
NAUI SCR Rebreather Diver – Dreager Dolphin.

Thanks,
Woody

TxScubaBear
10-17-2007, 06:45
Wow- pretty extensive and really sounds fun! Thanks for posting that info here!

fire diver
10-17-2007, 09:13
Got few Q's for ya Woody.

I am already taking TDI AdvNitrx and Deco. Do those count for the prereqs for the Helitrox course? What is the time frame (duration) for this class?

Wreck diver 1 - what's the time frame for this? Where do you do conduct the dives at?

Do you have these classes scheduled out, or is it "by appointment"?

FD

Venio
10-17-2007, 11:54
Woody, thank you for posting the information about the classes here. Now, I have few more questions.

What are the prerequisites for Tech 1? I have just finished Intro to Tech (NAUI).
How long would it take to complete the class?
Do I need to have my own doubles and deco tanks for it?
What is the price of the class?

I assume the dives would be at Lake Travis. Correct?

Thanks.

kobalap
10-17-2007, 14:58
3. Do I need to have my own doubles and deco tanks for it?

Personally, I cannot imagine taking advanced training such as tech or cave without being proficient at diving with doubles. Trying to figure out how to adapt to doubles during a tech class might be an exercise in frustration.

Venio
10-17-2007, 16:44
3. Do I need to have my own doubles and deco tanks for it?

Personally, I cannot imagine taking advanced training such as tech or cave without being proficient at diving with doubles. Trying to figure out how to adapt to doubles during a tech class might be an exercise in frustration.

First, thank you for imagining things for me, but I needed answer to specific question. Though, I don't see it in your post.

Secondly, there is a difference between being proficient with a specific gear and owning it. I have just finished my Intro to Tech where doubles and big steel tanks were provided.

Thirdly, at this point of my life I'm not sure where I'll end up living, as I'm about to graduate from college with a degree in field with narrow job market, which could subsequently make me move somewhere far. Thus, owning heavy and bulky gear as tanks is not an option at least till I settle.

Thanks.

texdiveguy
10-17-2007, 17:28
Woody... sounds like you are a busy gent with this class line-up...best always!

??- Does ST do nitrox/trimix/02 fills...or is this done off site, have never thought to ask anyone before--just curious?

Thanks, and safe diving. :-)

ScubaToys Larry
10-17-2007, 17:30
Yea... we do all that stuff... Back in our compressor room you will see tanks of O2, Helium, etc.

texdiveguy
10-17-2007, 17:40
Yea... we do all that stuff... Back in our compressor room you will see tanks of O2, Helium, etc.

That is cool....I knew for the longest time you just provided air fills as I recall.

kobalap
10-17-2007, 20:50
First, thank you for imagining things for me, but I needed answer to specific question. Though, I don't see it in your post.

Your welcome. :)
That I can't answer for you since I am not an instructor (NAUI tech or otherwise).

Secondly, there is a difference between being proficient with a specific gear and owning it. I have just finished my Intro to Tech where doubles and big steel tanks were provided.

Thirdly, at this point of my life I'm not sure where I'll end up living, as I'm about to graduate from college with a degree in field with narrow job market, which could subsequently make me move somewhere far. Thus, owning heavy and bulky gear as tanks is not an option at least till I settle.

Thanks.

Precisely. As you know, whether they will rent you doubles for your class or not, you want to have a good amount of dives under your belt with doubles and some decent familiarity with the tanks you will dive in class (i.e. figured out how much ballast you need and how to distribute that ballast to get proper balance and trim). For you to get the most out of your class, this is more important than whether the tanks are owned by you, rented to you or borrowed from a friend.

Incidentally, are you sure the timing for this type of class is ideal? Knowledge and skills have a shelf life. (This question does not require an answer. Like all free advice, it is worth what you paid for it.)

woody
10-17-2007, 23:44
Got few Q's for ya Woody.
I am already taking TDI AdvNitrx and Deco. Do those count for the prereqs for the Helitrox course?
Yes this course is a standalone course so it can be done that way. I haven't really done it standalone so I'll have to workout a schedule for it.

What is the time frame (duration) for this class?

More than likely it will be 2 weekends.

Wreck diver 1 - what's the time frame for this? Where do you do conduct the dives at?

Start at Athens Scuba Park. Plenty of 'Big things to dive on and around and eventually in. I will be adding graduation trips to the Texas clipper in South Padre once it finally hits the sand.

Do you have these classes scheduled out, or is it "by appointment"?

Intro, Tech 1-3, Wreck 1 will be scheduled for the 2008 Season. School and working nights has just about all of my time for this fall.

Thanks for the interest and I will post here when the 2008 Schedule is ready.
Woody

woody
10-18-2007, 00:03
What are the prerequisites for Tech 1? I have just finished Intro to Tech (NAUI).
That's One! Also Deep Diver or Eq, Nitrox Diver and 5 Dives on Nitrox. Master Diver or Eq.- (We usually just go for Equivalency on this)

How long would it take to complete the class?

Depends on you. The class runs for 3 weeks, 2 Nights a Week and the Weekend, with one or two trips to clear springs, and the balance to Lake Travis which is dependent on the teams skill level.

Do I need to have my own doubles and deco tanks for it?

I highly recommend it, but I don't require it. We have several sets available. If you are proficient in a BP/W- NTEC / DIR single setup and have great buoyancy control and proper trim. Then the transition to doubles is fairly easy. That being said. When the time arrives for the big dives (Real Deco on Helitrox(yes it's trimix)) Only those that are ready will go. Others will get to dive to practice on any needed skills.

What is the price of the class?

$650 plus breathing gasses and any rentals that you need.

The education is paid for, The certification is earned.
Thanks,
Woody.

woody
10-18-2007, 00:08
Trying to figure out how to adapt to doubles during a tech class might be an exercise in frustration.

Yes it was! Thank god for the creation of the Intro Tech course. My old Tech 1 class ran over four non-consecutive weeks, You were expected to practice on your weekends off. That's a major time commitment that most had a hard time swinging.

I certainly like the new format better.
Thanks,
Woody

woody
10-18-2007, 00:45

This past year most of my classes didn't fill up so I passed the time working on AOW and Rescue, and DM Programs.
With this form I expect 2008 to be a really busy tech year.

??- Does ST do nitrox/trimix/02 fills...or is this done off site, have never thought to ask anyone before--just curious?

Yep it's a new addition since (unofficially) about this time last year. Officially since January this year.

We run a bank of 40% to blend what the customer wants for nitrox.
We also do Partial pressure mixing for the more Technical Gasses and will have a Haskel to do HP O2. Well once I get off my butt and finish building the whips for it.

texdiveguy
10-18-2007, 00:58

This past year most of my classes didn't fill up so I passed the time working on AOW and Rescue, and DM Programs.
With this form I expect 2008 to be a really busy tech year.

Yep it's a new addition since (unofficially) about this time last year. Officially since January this year.

We run a bank of 40% to blend what the customer wants for nitrox.
We also do Partial pressure mixing for the more Technical Gasses and will have a Haskel to do HP O2. Well once I get off my butt and finish building the whips for it.

Thanks for the update and sneak peek behind the scenes....I don't get by the shop real often...and when I do its in-out pretty quick.

aggie99
11-13-2007, 23:10
Woody,

What are the prereq's for Wreck 1?

woody
11-19-2007, 04:44
Woody,

18 Years Old
Nitrox Diver
Candidates should have Intro Tech Done and need good trim and good finning techniques down before going into an overhead.

Xspect
11-19-2007, 12:13
I wished I lived closer to my LDS (ST) so I could take advantaged to all they offered.

aggie99
11-20-2007, 12:07
Woody,

18 Years Old
Nitrox Diver
Candidates should have Intro Tech Done and need good trim and good finning techniques down before going into an overhead.

Thanks Woody! Are you planning any trips to the Texas Clipper next year? Maybe the check out dives could be on the Texas Clipper....