PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use contacts for diving?

DougNR
07-17-2007, 11:26
I'm struggling with the choices to improve my vision while diving...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I've always been near sighted. Years ago, it didn't really matter much as my correction was minor. These days I know I'm at a disadvantage and need to do something about it, but as usual the pro and cons of the choices gets tough!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I've been planning to get a new Mares mask from ST with prescription lenses, but either Larry or Joe (can't recall which) mentioned there would be a new HydroOptix 3.5mask coming out soon. This happens to be pretty close to my correction, so I could probably dive without having to negatively correct for the mask itself. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>In the mean time I've been thinking about getting contact lenses just for use while diving. Obviously there would be a risk of loosing contacts from flooded mask etc, but I can't think of any dangerous issues from wearing (soft) cantacts. What do you guys think?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>While I'm at it, based on personal experiences what would you consider the best choice between:</DIV>
<DIV>1) Just use contacts with a non-prescription mask.</DIV>
<DIV>2) Spend $110(ish) for a mask with prescription lenses.</DIV>
<DIV>3) Hold out for the HydroOptix 3.5 mask.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks very much</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Doug</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Illini_Fan
07-17-2007, 11:37
hmmmm - not sure if I'm gonna be able to answer everypart of your question. I've had contacts for 20 years and dive with them. Mask clearing drills are a little more challenging since I don't want to open my ears until I'm sure the mask is cleared, but in my limited experience thus far I haven't had an issue.

If you are going to get contacts for just diving and nothing else, I'd probably try option 2 or 3. The exam will run you nearly the same amount as the mask with lens and then you will have the cost of the contacts.

3rdEye
07-17-2007, 12:07
how bad are your eyes?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>i dive with contacts, but if I lost one, it wouldn't be an issue for me to be without....I can drive without them, etc.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>at any rate, I think it's good to being glasses or a spare set of contacts with in case you need them.</DIV>

DDGator
07-17-2007, 12:10
I use soft contacts and I have had no problem in my limited experience. If I lost one (or both), I could still see my computer and would just start an ascent.

Venio
07-17-2007, 12:13
I use Mares X-Vision from STsmileys/smiley1.gif.
When I bought it I had the intention to buy later prescription lens for
it since I'm -3.5 diopter nearsighted. However, after few dives I can't
find any reason to get the lens and will stick with the contacts.

As for the HydroOptix, I have no experience with them. You may want to try them in the pool at ST before spending $200.

Venio
07-17-2007, 12:16
I forgot to mention the pair of contacts in my Save-a-drive kit. LOL smileys/smiley36.gif

GottaDiveMore
07-17-2007, 12:23
I have been diving for about 5 years with soft contacts. no problems, except the arms are getting a bit short. just switched to RGP (hard lenses). they say you can dive with these (DAN concurred) - but not sure if i will try.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Anyone else dove with RGP lenses ?</DIV>

guggie
07-17-2007, 12:56
I am quite near sighted, using -3.5 and -3.75 for my correction. Since I am also farsighted (presbyopia), I have been using monovision. My left contact lens is "de-tuned" for near vision. It is now -2.25. This works fine during the day and in the office, and I use the same lenses (Focus Night and Day soft extended wear silicone lens) for diving. My near vision could still use some more help so I'm about to try some stick on magnifiers in my mask today. I'll post back on how they are.

Mask clearing is fine. The lenses don't readily wash out like you might think. I used to have a corrected mask as a teenager. That would be ok, but still would not correct for the near vision problems we get as we age. Plus, you can't see a **** thing when you take off your mask at a boat's edge, etc.

medic001918
07-17-2007, 13:36
I dive with contacts all the time. I haven't had any issues and I've never lost a contact while diving. The only thing I'm careful of is I try not to open my eyes until I've cleared my mask. Otherwise, it's just happy diving. I know many divers who dive with contacts without complications.

Shane

lucidblue
07-17-2007, 13:39
I forgot to mention the pair of contacts in my Save-a-drive kit. LOL smileys/smiley36.gif

Good idea!

If I lost my contacts I wouldn't be able to see much of anything. Yet, I don't want to not be able to see without the mask, so prescription lenses aren't an option either. Right now I'm wishing that I had gotten Lasik done when I worked for company that paid for 50% of each eye. smileys/smiley19.gif Thinking I'd like to get it done now. Diving is just one more reason my life would be easier after getting it done.

picxie
07-17-2007, 14:18
I wear contacts but have just bought a new mask and had prescription lens' put in - I'm near sighted and had -4.0 &amp; -4.5 put in. I found contacts were fine but if I had to clear my mask I had to be very careful to make sure all water was out before opening my eyes. I've never lost a lens', but come close, and it's not fun if it's a bit surgy and you're sitting there with your eyes closed trying to get all the water out of your mask!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I also found that I had to be careful on the boat trip as the contacts would dry out quickly if I was looking out while we were travelling (all that fresh air, darn it!! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif).</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I needed to get new contacts as I only have a couple left (I use daily disposables). And I also neededa new mask. So I decided to get the Mares X-Vision (we don't seem to easily get the other ones over here that can fit prescription lens' and I wanted to stick with what was here in case I had issues) and got the lens' put in. It arrived yesturdayhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gifyay! And the mask is great, I love it, although the lens' may take a bit of getting used to (just like new glasses!). These lens' are stronger (more correct) than the contact lens' I've been using so I have no doubt that in the water they'll be better.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If not, I can swap the original lens' back in and go back to contacts. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>As for once the mask is off, I plan to wear my glasses. Again, if this proves to be no good on a boat, then I may resort back to contacts. But I wanted to try prescription lens'. I've only met one person who needed some corrective help, and he used a mask and thought it was great. He wore his glasses on the boat and said he'd had no problems.</DIV>

Harshal
07-17-2007, 15:26
with my limited experience all I can say is only time I have to use caution is if my mask comes off for any reason. Other than that I never had any problem with wearing contacts. Also in case if I lost one or both contact I can surface, but would have hard time finding the boat......lol (Thats reason I wear orange BC from ST) ........lol :)
<DIV></DIV>

Joew
07-17-2007, 15:28
I wear contacts while diving, and have never had any problems. I've lost quite a few contacts while surfing, but that's a different story. I wear them everyday anyways, so if I were to use a prescription mask I would need to wear glasses out on the boat, which would mean I'd also need prescription sunglasses. It's alot easier and cheaper for me to just use contacts. It's less hassle, and I can see when I take my mask off on the surface. That's a big plus for me when working with students. If you wear glasses on a daily basis, then a prescription mask might work better for you. I must admit, the HydroOptix mask is intriguing.

Judestudio
07-17-2007, 16:22
I also dive with contacts, haven't loss any yet. I always keep a spare set though.

tx.lakerat
07-17-2007, 16:36
I've been diving with contacts for years and never had any problems.. I do carry a spare set with me just in case I do lose one but haven't done that yet (knock on wood) either!

Fideaux
07-17-2007, 17:26
I wear contacts and I use the HydroOptix mask and I change contacts to dive with it. I have never had a problem.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Bruce</DIV>

the gooch
07-17-2007, 17:41
I dive with contacts every time as well and have never lost one. My Rx is only -1.5 though so if I did lose one/both then I would still be able to see well enough to make it back to the boat. I like the idea of the extra set in a save-a-dive kit.smileys/smiley20.gif

DougNR
07-17-2007, 19:18
Wow! Lots of really good comments made since I posted the question! Rather than reply individually, even though it would give my message count for free stuff a real boost (Larry &amp; Joe please note - I should get some kind of bonus!).
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It appears that there a quite a few soft contact users that routinely wear them diving and rarely suffer any loss. The issue of just how bad ones eyes are is noted. I'm certainly functional without lens, but the idea of carying spares is a good one.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I appreciate the thought concerning cost camparison of new eye exam, and lenses vs a prescription mask. Might well be cheaper to just get the new mask.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Dive forums are a good thing. Thanks to all for your inputs!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Doug</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

guggie
07-17-2007, 19:53

Good idea!

If I lost my contacts I wouldn't be able to see much of anything. Yet, I don't want to not be able to see without the mask, so prescription lenses aren't an option either. Right now I'm wishing that I had gotten Lasik done when I worked for company that paid for 50% of each eye. smileys/smiley19.gif Thinking I'd like to get it done now. Diving is just one more reason my life would be easier after getting it done.

50% off. That's one eye for free! What are you going to do when you get presbyopia and have the need for reading glasses? We're not at the point of being able to correct that yet with surgery, but getting closer. You may need some correction in your mask to read your watch, computer, camera display, etc.

Venio
07-17-2007, 20:22
I dive with contacts every time as well and have never lost one. My Rx is only -1.5 though so if I did lose one/both then I would still be able to see well enough to make it back to the boat. I like the idea of the extra set in a save-a-dive kit.smileys/smiley20.gif

It looks like It's a Save-a-Ride kit for us!

ZX6R here.

przeor
07-18-2007, 02:32
I too never thought to carry spare contact in the save-a-dive kit! Brilliant idea, though if lost one, I'd be ok- I've only got a light prescription. Thanks for the good idea!

PlatypusMan
07-18-2007, 08:17
In my diving, I have done all the following over the years:

Dove with soft contact lenses(disposables).

Dove with no contact lenses.

Dove with the HydroOptix mask.

Diving with soft contact lenses was nice, but can become uncomfortable at times for the reasons cited by various posters.

Diving with no contact lenses, and depending on the refractive index of the water to help you see was a slightly more comfortable solution, particularly in training situations where became necessary to flood and clear the mask to prove that you had this skill down pat. The downside was that at the surface you couldn't really see anything if you were extremely nearsighted, as I am. At times, this made it fun trying to find the boat!

I debated buying a HydroOptix mask for several months, until I finally decided to take the plunge. At the risk of sounding like a commercial, I'm glad I did.

This mask does everything that they claim it will do -- at least for me, based on my prescription. While I can dive with the traditional flat mask and no contacts, the "fine vision" that I have in air and with the HydroOptix mask is simply not there even though in both cases I am relying on the refractive index of water to take the place of a corrective lens.

Just wanted to share my personal experience including my two psi.

comet24
07-19-2007, 17:35
I where contacts when I dive also where them when I swim. Used them when I was a lifeguard years ago. No real problem and I have opened my eyes underwater without a mask. Found that it wasn't under water but just after you came out with water running down you face that there could be a problem.

Now I where disposable ones that you replace every two weeks so losing one is not the end of the world. I alway take a extra set with me just in case.

CompuDude
07-19-2007, 18:18
I've worn glasses nearly all my life (since the 2nd grade). I bring them on the boat, and am quite comfortable with them. I've worn contacts on and off over the years, but I've never liked them quite as much as glasses. I was *always* aware that something was in my eye, and always needed drops on hand. (And yes, I've been fit by the best in three states)

So bearing that in mind, it's perhaps not surprising that I prefer a prescription mask. I keep my mask on until I re-board the boat, and my glasses go on as soon as my hood comes off. No problem.

I will say, however, that I dove with contacts once when I was considering the HydroOptix mask, and I was surprised to learn I didn't mind them as much underwater as I did on land! First off, there is ZERO air movement in a mask, and secondly it tends to get somewhat warm and moist in there due to body heat, which explains the lack of discomfort. Of course, you'll have issues if your mask gets kicked off or something at any point in the dive.

But in the end, I prefer a good mask with a custom prescription. The drop in lenses can get you close enough for a good price, but only custom can correct astigmatism. The drop-ins are fine underwater, for me, esp. since water naturally negates some poor vision effects, but the custom ground lenses will give you sharpest vision on land. (Ok, you have to wear your mask a bit more, but it's nice to have sharp vision during a long surface swim, too.)

Judestudio
07-19-2007, 20:29
One problem I found with Rx mask is that if your vision change overtime, esp. for young divers who tend to have worsen vision as they grow older, it'll mean getting new lenses for the mask all the time, and they're not cheap. It therefore becomes more convenient and practical to go for the contact lens option.

CompuDude
07-19-2007, 20:40
One problem I found with Rx mask is that if your vision change overtime, esp. for young divers who tend to have worsen vision as they grow older, it'll mean getting new lenses for the mask all the time, and they're not cheap. It therefore becomes more convenient and practical to go for the contact lens option.

Really? I've found the opposite. Underwater, it doesn't really need to be as precise. Obviously there will be extremes, but my first mask bought when I was certified at 16 still worked for me earlier this year (20 years later!) when I managed to lose two prescription masks faster than I could replace them. Not quite as sharp, but way better than going without. Masks don't really need to be updated quite as often as glasses do, because you only wear them for an hour or so every now and then, compared to the rest of the day, every day of the week for glasses. (Unless your job is underwater or something like that.)

Judestudio
07-19-2007, 21:04
Really? I've found the opposite. Underwater, it doesn't really need to be as precise. Obviously there will be extremes, but my first mask bought when I was certified at 16 still worked for me earlier this year (20 years later!) when I managed to lose two prescription masks faster than I could replace them. Not quite as sharp, but way better than going without. Masks don't really need to be updated quite as often as glasses do, because you only wear them for an hour or so every now and then, compared to the rest of the day, every day of the week for glasses. (Unless your job is underwater or something like that.)
Those are very good points. I haven't thought of it this way, yea I agree you don't really need precision underwater. I've got to say you've generally got quite a good vision there, same Rx lenses for 20 yrs (I know it's the mask, but still)! Taking myself for example I've gone from -2.25 to -3.75 in a year or so (too much computing...), and for me, I just find it convenient to wear contact lenses to correct my vision. I'm aware that if I ever have to open my eyes in the water, I don't think the lenses are going to stay. And I tend to use a fresh pair after the dives as well, coz contact lenses can trap bugs and cause infections....not nice.

Joew
07-19-2007, 21:54
I'm aware that if I ever have to open my eyes in the water, I don't think the lenses are going to stay.

You'd be suprised. Mine stay in pretty while when I open up my eyes underwater. I still only open my eyes when I need to, and I always keep extras in my backpack. I've lost quite a few while surfing, though. Getting smacked around by waves will tend to do that.smileys/smiley4.gif

thesmoothdome
07-19-2007, 23:58
I wear disposables, so losing contacts isn't really an issue for me. My wife wears the old fashion hard contacts, so losing one would suck. I wouldn't recommend open your eyes when you flood your mask, but naturally, I'm not really smart enough to take my own advice and I've yet to have one float away. For whatever reason, mine stay pretty well glued to my eyes.

CompuDude
07-20-2007, 02:22
Those are very good points. I haven't thought of it this way, yea I agree you don't really need precision underwater. I've got to say you've generally got quite a good vision there, same Rx lenses for 20 yrs (I know it's the mask, but still)! Taking myself for example I've gone from -2.25 to -3.75 in a year or so (too much computing...), and for me, I just find it convenient to wear contact lenses to correct my vision. I'm aware that if I ever have to open my eyes in the water, I don't think the lenses are going to stay. And I tend to use a fresh pair after the dives as well, coz contact lenses can trap bugs and cause infections....not nice.
The prescription was noticeably weaker and less crisp, don't get me wrong. But I could still see more than well enough to do the job. If you think about it, the best vis you're ever likely to experience is 150'. You don't need eagle eyes to see that far. And the VAST majority of what you're looking at is 10' away or less. I'd much rather have my glasses, but I'm not so blind that I can't recognize a person at 10'. And that's really as good as you need to function quite well underwater.

And I definitely agree, the issue of open water in the eyes is one of contamination more than
losing a lens. Particularly in a lake or quarry, where there isn't a
lot of water movement.

Joew
07-20-2007, 02:34
And I definitely agree, the issue of open water in the eyes is one of contamination more than
losing a lens. Particularly in a lake or quarry, where there isn't a
lot of water movement.

Good point. I dive in clean ocean water, so I never thought of that.

TAH 73
07-20-2007, 07:17
I dive contacts on a regular basis,I hadan RX mask, but didn't like the hassle of needing to keep the mask on to see. The hassle of either re-boarding the boat with the mask on, or keeping glasses in the BC pocket was a nuisance.
<DIV></DIV>I have never had a lens pop out in trainingI just kept myeyes closed when doing mask flood drills. When diving i know I am probably jinxing myself, have never had a mask kicked off or flood.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

CompuDude
07-20-2007, 10:32
I dive contacts on a regular basis,I hadan RX mask, but didn't like the hassle of needing to keep the mask on to see. The hassle of either re-boarding the boat with the mask on, or keeping glasses in the BC pocket was a nuisance.
<div></div>
I have never had a lens pop out in trainingI just kept myeyes closed when doing mask flood drills. When diving i know I am probably jinxing myself, have never had a mask kicked off or flood.

Normal procedure around here is to keep your mask on until you're back in the boat. Is that not the case with your area?

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 13:18
Definitely look into Lasik if you get the chance. My wife went from not being able to read the big E on the eye chart to 20/20 vision within 30 minutes.

TAH 73
07-20-2007, 14:04
[Normal procedure around here is to keep your mask on until you're back in the boat. Is that not the case with your area?

<DIV>Not to get off track, but private boat with a small swim platform, pretty much all gearhas to come off before you can get out of the water.</DIV>
<DIV>On charters it would stay on.</DIV>
<DIV>Lasik is my choice though.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

CompuDude
07-20-2007, 14:11
[Normal procedure around here is to keep your mask on until you're back in the boat. Is that not the case with your area?

<div>Not to get off track, but private boat with a small swim platform, pretty much all gearhas to come off before you can get out of the water.</div>
<div>On charters it would stay on.</div>
<div>Lasik is my choice though.</div>
<div>
I dive small Pangas in Mexico all the time... NO dive platform, and you pass up your weights and rig before clambering back in (with just mask and fins, needed to launch up over the gunwale). I've never seen anyone take their mask off until back in the boat, though.

Lasik is the ideal, but it's a LOT more expensive than a prescription mask! (And then there are the issues of pointing a laser at your eye! Or more realistically, the issue of closeup vision vs. far away, as the eyes age. I think I'd rather wear glasses and a prescription mask!)
</div>

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 14:21
My wife had it done for slightly over $3,000. She was worried about it but also sure she wanted to have it done. The whole procedure took less then 10 minutes. She has 20/20 vision but will need reading glasses as she ages. I notice I am starting to have problems reading my gauges. Guess I may need to end up buying the Pro Plus II<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

kevinj1
07-20-2007, 14:43
i used to dive with contacts and never had a problem. I just had lasik and cant wait to dive w/ my new eyes-------lol.

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 15:41
Definitely look into Lasik if you get the chance. My wife went from not being able to read the big E on the eye chart to 20/20 vision within 30 minutes.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Lasik scares me. No one is going near my eye with a scapel as I lay there motionless and watch. I'd freak out. </DIV>

unclepooty
07-20-2007, 15:48
can you have it done with your eyes closed???????????http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley26.gif

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 17:41
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Lasik scares me. No one is going near my eye with a scapel as I lay there motionless and watch. I'd freak out. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>There is just a device that sits on your eye and a razor cuts a little flap off of the top that is finner then a sheet of paper. A laser then fires a few seconds on the newly exposed part (on my wife, 4 seconds on one eye and the 9 seconds on the other). The flap is then smoothed back over and your done. </DIV>

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 17:57
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>There is just a device that sits on your eye and a razor cuts a little flap off of the top that is finner then a sheet of paper. A laser then fires a few seconds on the newly exposed part (on my wife, 4 seconds on one eye and the 9 seconds on the other). The flap is then smoothed back over and your done. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>OK! That definately didn't help alleviate my fear. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley18.gif</DIV>

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 18:14
Sorry. She did mention is was completely painless

TAH 73
07-21-2007, 09:34
In regards to contacts, this is the info DAN gives on the topic....
<DIV>
<TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>Q:</TD>
<TD>What are the best contact lenses to wear underwater? </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=2></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>A:</TD>
<TD>Divers who wish to wear contact lenses while diving should ask their ophthalmologists or optometrists to prescribe "soft" contact lenses. "Hard" lenses or rigid gas-permeable lenses, the other two commonly prescribed types of lenses, have been found to sometimes cause symptoms of eye pain and blurred vision during and after dives, in which the diver accumulates a significant inert gas load. These symptoms occur as a result of gas bubbles forming between the cornea and the contact lens.

For more information on vision issues, see the complete article by Frank K. Butler Jr., Captain, Medical Corps, United States Navy on High-Pressure Ophthalmology from Alert Diver.
<DIV>
<DIV>http://diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=88 (http://divers&#097;lertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=88)</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE></DIV>

thesmoothdome
07-21-2007, 19:16
That's interesting. My wife wears hard lenses. Maybe we should look into a prescription mask.

dutch552
07-22-2007, 12:35
I've been diving with soft lenses since I was certified several years ago. I've never lost one but a flooding mask is always a pain. LASIK is definitely in the near future.

Moxie
07-24-2007, 22:27
I too had the Lasik Wavefront. Cost me a pretty penny, but I could write it off in my taxes as a medical expense. I now see 20/15 and love it. Diving is soooo much easier and I don't get dry scratchy eyes any more.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>My only regret is not getting it done sooner. </DIV>

silentstone7
07-29-2007, 04:56
I have been diving for about 5 years with soft contacts. no problems, except the arms are getting a bit short. just switched to RGP (hard lenses). they say you can dive with these (DAN concurred) - but not sure if i will try.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Anyone else dove with RGP lenses ?</DIV>
I was also told there wouldn't be a problem, but.. If I lost a disposable soft contact, no big deal to get another. RGP's are another story, since a pair is roughly 275 bucks for me. I'm not sure I'd want to pay that every time I lost one, and I'd have to invest at least that much to have a spare with me if I did. I'd rather have to jam the pressure gauge up into my face and see the fish a little more blurry than possibly spend an extra $275 every few dives. Just my opinion, though. And if you have eye insurance that covers replacing lost contacts... it'd be a different story.

Skinsfan1311
07-31-2007, 10:16

Good idea!

I second that! I'd never thought of that. Never had a problem diving with contacts....

thesmoothdome
07-31-2007, 12:06
[quote=GottaDiveMore;4189]I have been diving for about 5 years with soft contacts. no problems, except the arms are getting a bit short. just switched to RGP (hard lenses). they say you can dive with these (DAN concurred) - but not sure if i will try.

My wife dives with RGP lenses. With only about 25 dives under her belt, she's far from the expert, but she hasn't had any problems. In fact, I spoke to our optometrist the other day and he dives with RPGs as well and didn't seem to think there would be a problem either.

robo
07-31-2007, 13:33
I use soft contacts all the time diving, also for fishing or sports with sunglasses. It's so expensive to have prescription mods to all my eyewear, plus my eyes change constantly. I surf, sailboard, waterski, etc. with contacts, and have been hit in the face with the wave lip and never lost one, just keep your eyes slightly squinted when you're about to get blasted with spray and they'll ususally stay in.

loudgonzo
07-31-2007, 13:40

They are a part of my save a dive kit now!