PDA

View Full Version : Wireless AI Computers

dbsea
10-16-2007, 16:53
Anyone have experience with reliability & battery life on AI wireless computers? If I eliminate my analog pressure gauge, reliability & predictable battery discharge will be important since a dive is over if your tank pressure is unavailable.

ScubaToys Larry
10-16-2007, 17:34
I can tell you about the Oceanic and Aeris Wireless AI Computers.

For example, I've used the Oceanic VT3 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=VT3) and they will give you a battery indicator. Using the same transmitter for a lot of their computers - I've gotten over a year of diving use before the battery got low. And you can pick up a Oceanic transmitter battery (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Tadiran) for about 10 bucks.

cummings66
10-19-2007, 13:15
I can tell you the batteries last a long time, as to reliability. Well, in a bit more than a year of diving with mine I've lost the link one time. I was at 108 feet and it loses lock and wouldn't regain it until I surfaced.

I'm not sure what happened, there was lots of silt in the water but I've dove with much worse and never lost lock. So, one lost lock in over a hundred dives isn't bad. It was also a dive where I didn't have a SPG on, so you can imagine my thoughts at 108 feet when I no longer knew my pressure. I've dove enough I know what I use so it was no big deal other than the fact that I had no concrete way of telling where I was at.

I think it's fairly reliable, but it can lose lock so a pressure gage isn't a bad thing to have handy for the just in case situation.

Krafcheck
10-29-2007, 12:38
25 dives on my VT3 since april and still going strong. I turned my first stage upside down to have the transmitter on the bottom so it wouldnt get knocked around. Only problem is making sure the transmitter is above the bc bladder or it will block the signal but it doesnt stop any of the other functions. My wife, brother, and sister n law all have VT3 and not one complaint. The temp. gauge was off on mine when i first got by ten degrees compared to everyone elses but was able to exchange with no problems.

Aussie
10-29-2007, 12:45
On my Suunto Transmitter I get about 12-18 months on the battery. Depends on the usage. Its an easy replacement ($10) as long you replace the o-ring also.

I prefer to have a backup SPG with my AI as I know it always works.

Aussie

CompuDude
10-29-2007, 13:20
Couple hundred dives on my Uwatec SmartTec and the battery meter shows 54% battery life.

Free batteries for life from Uwatec, although I'll have to send it into the factory at some point to take advantage of that. They pressure test and run some checks on the comp at the same time, however, so well worth it. I should be able to borrow a loaner fromt the shop for the week or two it's away.

(I'm in SoCal, as is ScubaPro/Uwatec, so YMMV if you're farther)

Puffer Fish
10-29-2007, 15:49
Couple hundred dives on my Uwatec SmartTec and the battery meter shows 54% battery life.

Free batteries for life from Uwatec, although I'll have to send it into the factory at some point to take advantage of that. They pressure test and run some checks on the comp at the same time, however, so well worth it. I should be able to borrow a loaner fromt the shop for the week or two it's away.

(I'm in SoCal, as is ScubaPro/Uwatec, so YMMV if you're farther)
I have one also, and on one dive weekend, it suddenly went from 83% to zero for battery... sent it in (got a loaner) and it was fixed for free. The unit had somehow gotten out of calibration and was on all the time. All fixed an better, but I have a backup SPG and computer.

bobbin-along
10-29-2007, 17:09
Sure I have a small spg attached, but haven't yet had a problem with battery failure at depth. I always check to make sure the battery has ample charge and away I go.

I have lost link before, and after I took the time to re-adjust the gear I haven't lost link since. It was a weird thing that was happening and once I solved the line of sight problem, all was good.

RonFrank
10-29-2007, 17:33
Carry an spg, or even just leave it on the 1st stage if you have two HP ports.

I have maybe a dozen dives on my Aeris Epic. My buddy experience with these units however have not been favorable. Dan, VT-PRO, the entire unit replaced twice, and the transmitter once. Dimitri, Aeris Epic, replaced the entire unit once after it locked up in Coz at 80 feet.

I don't have THAT many diving friends, and less that own AI computers. Fortunately most of the time transmitter issues are isolated to that function, so one could continue to use the computer to monitor everything but air.

Personally I carry an SPG often mounted, and my Aeris Atmos II as a backup. I don't trust the reliability of these things even if when they are working they are great.

tedwhiteva
10-29-2007, 18:31
On my Suunto Transmitter I get about 12-18 months on the battery. Depends on the usage. Its an easy replacement ($10) as long you replace the o-ring also.

I prefer to have a backup SPG with my AI as I know it always works.

Aussie

I'm like Aussie - a back-up spg clipped to your left hip is a great back up.:smiley2: