PDA

View Full Version : FBI alert???

Foo2
07-17-2007, 11:54
FBI alert : The FBI thinks scuba terrorists might be planning nefarious activity and has asked the dive industry to turn in any individuals who request “specialty training, including odd inquiries that are inconsistent with recreational diving.” These may include: requests to dive in murky water or sewer pipes; requests to learn advanced skills associated with combat swimming, including use of rebreathers and diver propulsion vehicles, deep diving and extra navigation training; requests for advanced diver training by applicants from countries where diving is not a common recreational activity; training sponsored by religious organizations, cults, associations, or charitable agencies not normally associated with diving; paying cash for diving instruction; and refusal or reluctance to provide personal information.” Time magazine reports that the FBI described the advisory as routine and said it was not prompted by any threat. On a related note, look for our article about non-lethal underwater weapons to combat scuba-diving terrorists in our August issue.

jacewindu
07-17-2007, 11:55
weeeeiiiiird

Foo2
07-17-2007, 11:59
Oops, sorry I posted this on accident...this one was incomplete. The real one is in this section too.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Foo2</DIV>

DirtyWaterIL
07-30-2007, 18:06
I'll be right back, I'm busy lining the inside of my hood with tin foil so the sattelites can't read my thoughts underwater. I will reply more on this topic when I return.

Black-Gorrilla
07-30-2007, 18:12
wait a sec. wasn't this up already? and full of improper responses from me?

diverkatie
07-30-2007, 19:05
They did a story about that on the news a couple of weeks ago here in Houston. I like how they feel like they need to tell us that it would be considered odd for someone to request training in diving in a sewer system...I know that's way up on my list of places to dive...

Kinda makes you wonder how they came up with the stuff, if there was no specific threat or anything...

Jumpinjax
08-12-2007, 18:52
Diverkatie, where did you see the story? I live in Spring/The Woodlands and missed the story. If it is in print would like to read it. Thanks.

tywenglar
08-13-2007, 08:52
This same thing popped up a few years back. The botom line is the FBI wants everyone to report anything that seem odd. Too bad nobody reported the guys in Florida that wanted to learn to fly but not to land.......

cummings66
08-13-2007, 11:32
To be fair I doubt the guy said i want to fly but not land. Heck, anybody can fly a plane once it's in the air. Flight simulators are pretty good about that part. Not just anybody could takeoff and land. It took me 5 hours before I could land without help. 11 before I solo'd and 44 for my certificate.

namabiru
08-13-2007, 12:52
They did a story about that on the news a couple of weeks ago here in Houston. I like how they feel like they need to tell us that it would be considered odd for someone to request training in diving in a sewer system...I know that's way up on my list of places to dive...

Kinda makes you wonder how they came up with the stuff, if there was no specific threat or anything...

Yes, they did a similar story in Phoenix, and of course the dive shop they interviewed is kind of the pariah of the local dive community (long explanation for that), which made it even more amusing. The AZ Desert Divers dined out on the story for a good week on SB. Or was it DiveMatrix? Gah, can't remember.

So the joke became that for rescue classes, the new thing would be you! call 911, you! call the FBI.