PDA

View Full Version : Zeagle Flathead VI vs Mares Proton M42

mlsm72
10-16-2007, 22:39
Anybody have any suggestions on which would be there better longterm decision here?

Aussie
10-18-2007, 09:45
Both are great regs and would be great in all recreational diving. The Zeagles would also be great in any technical diving situation.

I personally have 2 Zeagle Flatheads on my twin rig. I like the adjustment with the Zx second stage where as the mares regs do not have adjustment (cracking pressure and venti blade).

The Flathead VI is a huge first stage when compared to Slim down m42 first stage.

If your looking at going twins down the track I would look at the Zeagle. Purchase it in DIN and you get the yoke adpator with it. Best of both worlds.

Aussie

paintsnow
10-18-2007, 19:02
Both are great regs and would be great in all recreational diving. The Zeagles would also be great in any technical diving situation.

I personally have 2 Zeagle Flatheads on my twin rig. I like the adjustment with the Zx second stage where as the mares regs do not have adjustment (cracking pressure and venti blade).

The Flathead VI is a huge first stage when compared to Slim down m42 first stage.

If your looking at going twins down the track I would look at the Zeagle. Purchase it in DIN and you get the yoke adpator with it. Best of both worlds.

Aussie

id have to agree with that completly
i currently have one flathead 6 in DIN and i LOVE it

marchand
10-18-2007, 19:32
I would also go with the Flathead VI.

Zeagle is a great company that makes really good gear. They also have a good warranty and great customer service.

meesier42
10-18-2007, 20:44
I love my Zeagles, I have 2 DS-V's with ZX seconds and Envoy octo's
They are great and breathe smoothly. Not to mention they are US owned and backed.

Aussie
10-18-2007, 21:41
Thats another thing you may want to look at is the Zeagle DSV. Its cheaper and smaller than the Flathead VI and breathes just as good. It also has the Zx second stage.

Aussie

mlsm72
10-19-2007, 22:45
Thank you all for your advice, I believe I will go with the Zeagle as I do intend to go tech in the future....

sas
10-20-2007, 18:59
For what it's worth, I have a mares proton metal 42 and like it a lot. Absolutely no problems so far.

Jipps
10-24-2007, 12:46
I would go with Zeagle all the way. I had a marys abyss as my first reg, i replaced it 5 months later. I didnt like not being able to adjust the breathing rate, whereas the flathead has that option. Also, like it was mention earlier, If you want to do any tech stuff you can use the flathead for that as well.

reservecops
10-24-2007, 13:00
Thats another thing you may want to look at is the Zeagle DSV. Its cheaper and smaller than the Flathead VI and breathes just as good. It also has the Zx second stage.I picked up the DS-V back during the summer. Great breather, adjustable, and will work in cold water, too (heat exchanger). Cheaper than the Flathead, too. Zeagle is tops!

sas
10-24-2007, 20:59
I can understand that some people will prefer an adjustable reg to a non-adjustable one, but the fact that no adjustment was needed was one of the features of the Mares proton metal 42 which appealed to me. I've made several dives with an adjustable scubapro reg and never felt like things were 'dialed in' correctly. It could be due to experience (I've only logged 24 dives so far), but at this stage in my diving career I enjoy the freedom of not having to think about adjusting my reg and whether it's that, or the fact that the Mares reg really does work well, I am way more comfortable with my new Mares reg than with the old scubapro. As for tech diving, I can see the attraction to buying a reg that "can do everything", but I suspect that the best reg will be the one that is best suited for the diving that one will most often do. If that's tech diving, then get a reg which is best for that; if rec diving, get the reg that's best for that.
I have much more experience fishing than I do diving, and one could buy a pretty heavy-duty fishing outfit that could land everything that swims, but you wouldn't want to use it to catch trout in a lake. I suspect the same logic applies to diving...

Matt

Jipps
10-24-2007, 22:34
This is very true, you dont necessarily need to get the ferrari of regs, or at least not everyone does, lol. I used to dive the Mares Abyss 2005 model, was a good reg but I had exhaust interference w/ my mask, it didnt like to breath upside down, and it was a lil difficult to breath at depth. While it worked fine, I switched to an adjustable reg that allows me to get the air i need, when i need it, with no struggle.

reservecops
10-25-2007, 07:08
I can understand that some people will prefer an adjustable reg to a non-adjustable one, but the fact that no adjustment was needed was one of the features of the Mares proton metal 42 which appealed to me.That's the beauty of being able to make a choice. You buy what appeals to you, and you don't buy what doesn't.

Personally, I don't consider NOT having an ability to do something be a "freedom".

Quite frankly, I consider it to be just the opposite. The ability to adjust it IF I WANT or to simply leave it alone IF I WANT is a freedom. If you can't adjust it, I consider that 'restricted'. But, alas, that is just a personal opinion.

I've made several dives with an adjustable scubapro reg and never felt like things were 'dialed in' correctly.If an adjustable regulator isn't dialed in correctly, the only person to blame is the guy in control of the adjuster knob. ;)

I have much more experience fishing than I do diving, and one could buy a pretty heavy-duty fishing outfit that could land everything that swims, but you wouldn't want to use it to catch trout in a lake. I suspect the same logic applies to diving...I've fished for many years myself, and I can honestly say that what applies to fishing isn't on par with what applies to diving. Why? In no way can a 'bad day' fishing equal the outcome of a 'bad day' diving. ;)